NTM 28-30s 800kv stops and starts randomly

mzrhayes

Ok guys im so close to flying this thing! I have one issue to resolve. During motor testing (on quad) my number 4 motor stops and starts randomly both with and without a prop. What could be causing this? Its spins freely, so no mechanical blockage. Im running a kk2.1 thats been set up for v tail (mines a v tail), auto level is off. My esc are set to 16khz

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Can you give us a little more info? Is it doing this while already throttled up or is it an un-commanded throttle up with throttle stick at zero.

mzrhayes

Yes, here's what i have, the motor does it while throttled up, with or without props. The esc is currently set to 16khz rate. I have seen this condition in the past with my old Mystery M-30 esc's and it was the reason I switched to Castle Creation ones.

I'm going to try a few different operating ranges for the frequency. Also, the wires for m3 & m4 run very close to each other through the body of the craft and cross talk might be an issue too, ya think?

Ill try to catch a video of it and post a link.

Thanks again Xuzme!

ps, i see your care bear status, do you play Eve Online? Its a term oft used in that game

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The care bear thing is actually "care of" David W. Just one of his many contributions!

One other thing is to swap motors and see it the trouble follows the motor or stays with the ESC. If it stays with the ESC, isolate the power harness by moving the ESC...this also eliminates the port on the board

Last edited:

mzrhayes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUpUcG4lQ8A

Here's the link to the quad misbehaving. Things have moved to all motors except 2. When the video first starts you can see everything running except 4, then I power down 1 and 3 have issues and their escs give "failed to start" indication with 2 beeps. This seems to be a universal problem like an FC. Also, the throttle rpm is audibly varying up and down a little in the low end.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
That sounds very strange...it's almost like the timing is off but that usually doesn't come into play until closer to top end. Have you calibrated the ESC's through the KK2?

mzrhayes

I programmed the escs parameters through Castle link card what should i do in accordance with the KK? Throttle max, min? Maybe I need to research that!

mzrhayes

That sounds very strange...it's almost like the timing is off but that usually doesn't come into play until closer to top end. Have you calibrated the ESC's through the KK2?

Hey xuzme, not sure if it helps but I borrowed a friends trans and rx for giggles. It didn't help any. I just ran it again and m3 was dropping out frequently. I wonder if the KK is having issues, it does run the motors and esc's are known good, any thoughts? I did calibrate each transmitter again with this:

1-Trans to full throttle. Rudder at neutral, (no trim)
2-#1 and 4 buttons down on KK 2.1
3-Apply battery power to KK
4- wait for esc start tones then calibration tones
5- Pull throttle to zero
6- esc emits another tone
7- release buttons 1 and 4 on KK

To test I armed the KK with zero throttle, right rudder

Does this sound correct?

Thanks for any help!