Nutball Challenge

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
We have an interesting challenge coming up for our club in January...

Our club has slowly been introduced into the ways of Flite Test, discovering that building in foam is pretty cheap, and it can be done fairly fast.

So, our president threw out a challenge - we're going to have a contest at the field. $5 entry fee for the pot, and whoever can build a Nutball at the field, then get it it up, around for a lap, and back down again on the runway, wins the pot. :)

I was able to knock one out in about 20 min. last night while watching TV - at least, the basics are done, with the power pod still needing electronics and the servos needing to be installed, but other than that? I think I'm a shoo-in for the contest! :)

donalson

for a one lap power pod... why not do something along the lines of the elements firewall... except use the standard firewall, mount to the top but have the side plates of what would be the elements made out of foamboard... no need for more than a standard firewall...

also seen some pics of people using brushed motors that they glued directly to the foam...

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose

Our club has slowly been introduced into the ways of Flite Test, discovering that building in foam is pretty cheap, and it can be done fairly fast.

So, our president threw out a challenge - we're going to have a contest at the field. $5 entry fee for the pot, and whoever can build a Nutball at the field, then get it it up, around for a lap, and back down again on the runway, wins the pot. :)

I was able to knock one out in about 20 min. last night while watching TV - at least, the basics are done, with the power pod still needing electronics and the servos needing to be installed, but other than that? I think I'm a shoo-in for the contest! :)

With the experience of balancing and flying one (nevermind the building) I like your chances. Let us know (if side bets are available) :cool:

aside: Now that I think about it, I have 2 Nutball SBK's here. I need to get one together....

Last edited:

Gazoo

That's great that you have challenges. Sounds like a bunch of fun.

I always thought it would be a neat idea to build the basic three (nutball, flyer and delta) one per week with a group. So like the first week you would build a flyer and bring it to the club but it has to have one crazy surprise mod. Maybe with an aileron or a biplane or something. The next week (or two) would be the nutball by with some other crazy mod. Maybe like a pusher. And so on.

Good luck. Hope you take the pot!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member

From a FliteTest speedbuild kit or scratchbuilt from the sheet - that would make it more of a challenge :)

jaredstrees

Yeah, hope you get to cut out the foam beforehand. It's the plans transfer to foam and cutting that takes me the most time on those. Might have to dust mine off, never changed the receiver in it when I got my Taranis. They sure are a hoot to fly! Also, forget the powerpod. simple wood ply fire wall, glued to a couple triangles, glued to the front. Velcro everything else on and go. she's only got to complete one lap!

sprzout

Mentor
From a FliteTest speedbuild kit or scratchbuilt from the sheet - that would make it more of a challenge :)

Good question! They'll be scratch built, but we'll all get the same patterns. What'll most likely happen is one guy'll have cut out the pattern onto posterboard or something, and we have to use that. I'll cheat a bit and have my own plans printed up and just spray glue it to a sheet of foam board, then cut it out with an exacto, a ruler, and a box cutter.

Even if I don't take the pot, it'll be a fun challenge, and I'm sure there'll be a LOT of laughing our butts off trying to get these planes up in the air. :) Nutballs are just one of those simple, fun to fly slow flyer planes that, even if they crash n' burn, they're still putting a smile on your face. :)

That's one good thing I have to say about my club - we used to have some fun games that we would do. Before the FAA Reauthorization and the 400' limit, we'd have a card where we'd spin a spinner, and then we'd stick an altimeter in our plane, and try to fly it at its highest point up to what the max on the spinner said (I think we had a 650' limit), then land.

sprzout

Mentor

It's a good idea, but wouldn't be thick enough for dollar tree foam. Dollar Tree foam board is 3/16", or a little under 5 mm for those not in the United States. The motor mount in TinkerCAD is for 6mm foam...I could probably make it work, but I'd be a little worried about it being too loose.

I'll make my firewalls out of PLA, and my control horns too - but that particular one, just seems a little too flexible for my needs.

donalson

It's a good idea, but wouldn't be thick enough for dollar tree foam. Dollar Tree foam board is 3/16", or a little under 5 mm for those not in the United States. The motor mount in TinkerCAD is for 6mm foam...I could probably make it work, but I'd be a little worried about it being too loose.

I'll make my firewalls out of PLA, and my control horns too - but that particular one, just seems a little too flexible for my needs.

good catch... but something that could easily be modified or at least take the concept... sort of like how the snow ball nutball (uses a ft elements firewall) but you're not worried about ground clearance between the ground so no need for the tall mount they used in the vid..