NutBall Scratch Build

John Campbell

Nice... I think I am going to try to build one of those.... I already have everything but the foam... Not sure I understood Josh, and correct me if I am wrong. Did he say "Dollar Store Foam" and if I heard correctly, what is "Dollar Store Foam" I have been in a lot of Dollar Stores, and never have seen sheets of foam...

Great Job Josh... Missed seeing Josh Scott though... Should have had him do the maiden flight :)

earthsciteach

Yep, its Dollar Store foam. I'm not sure if every dollar store chain carries it. It is also known as Rediboard or foam core.

fred0000

i've only ever seen the stuff at one of my local dollar stores, i'll be grabbing a sheet or 2 next time i'm there, beats the LHS price by a long shot. (though LHS has a much better selection)

teflyer

Full Circle
If you cannot find the foam locally, just buy the bulk if you are planning to do more scratchbuilds. Do you have a Dollar Tree locally? You can order 50 sheets for $50 + shipping with a store pickup. Pretty good deal! oh, and also known as Adam's Foamboard, I believe.

and HobbyKing Ruler in the video :D!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
If you cannot find the foam locally, just buy the bulk if you are planning to do more scratchbuilds. Do you have a Dollar Tree locally? You can order 50 sheets for $50 + shipping with a store pickup. Pretty good deal! oh, and also known as Adam's Foamboard, I believe.

and HobbyKing Ruler in the video :D!

It's a sticker :) I saw that too!

John Campbell

WOW, Just did an inventory to build this thing... All I need is a Prop, Prop Adapter, Landing Gear and Foam... Sounds like I am on to a cheap build.

rickthebrewer

So how would one go about scaling and tiling this drawing? When I open up the image full size, it's nearly twice as large as a 17" diameter Nutball.

davereap

I believe the size is suposed to be 20" for josh's build, as a 5" back COG measurement is mentioned, and these all fly at the start at a 25% COG..
I also found the foam board is 20x30" so 20" will be the biggest circle that can be cut without making joins..... the original on the rcgroups thread is at 17".. but they are easily scaled..
to make it easy for me I did a scaled pdf to 20" for printing to A4.. if you print at letter size I am not sure what you will get
The 1300kv motor josh uses will pull a 20-24 Nutball no problems..

Attachments

• nutball-swapable-plans-1_p1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 374
  • nutball-swapable-plans-1_p1_tiled.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 312
Last edited:

rickthebrewer

@davereap - Thanks for the tiled plans! I printed them out letter size and the diameter come out to 19 1/8 inches. That size works good for me.

John Campbell

Like the "A" Team says, "I Love It When A Plan Comes Together"... I have my $1 foam, Skewers, and everything else except for a Prop and Spinner.... Sounds like a great weekend of build coming up.