Observation about Josh B

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
As I've watched the various videos on FliteTest I've learned a great deal in a short amount of time. One thing that I notice numerous times in each video is the incredibly positive attitude that Josh B displays. No matter if he's talking to Josh S and helping build his confidence during flight or even if he's solo on the camera showing the NutBall build, it's constantly positive. Simple words of encouragement go a long way in building confidence.

I think that plays a big part in the popularity of the videos. I watch a lot of reviews and tutorials, but the FliteTest videos really stand out due to the presentation (and the video, music, editing, etc).

Keep up the positive attitude, as I raise a glass towards Ohio. Except when the Buckeyes play the Badgers...

IamNabil

I hate to sound like the cynic, because a positive attitude is certainly refreshing, but if you sit down and watch the series from the beginning, like I did, after about twenty episodes, it actually becomes grating. Like it isn't true, like you are watching mandatory positivity. I'm not saying that he is insincere, rather that it seems impossible for someone to be that positive about everything. Makes me feel like a bad person. :D
You miss this if you watch the episodes as they come out, and don't try to watch all of them at once.
I just re-read this, and I sound like a complete a-hole....

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Naah, all the complete a-holes are running for public office.

I'm about as cynical as they get, and I don't get the impression that it's anything but genuine. There are a couple videos where he's somewhat "flat" in delivery and style. Almost like he just got done reading the complaints about the lack of negative comments during a review.

To me it's like he's doing something he really enjoys, and is just plain enthusiastic about talking to anybody about it, be it Josh S or even just the camera.

But I see what you mean about it being too much in large doses. Kind of like eating too many Hostess Cupcakes - after too many you need something more sour to cut the sweet. So I go back and forth between FliteTest and Radio Control Model Reviews. :D

earthsciteach

Josh B comes across as a genuinely nice guy. We need more guys like that in the world! Lord knows I have my not so nice moments...

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I really like the Josh B of the nighttime WalMart Parking lot plane maiden flight posted a while back. Now that was funny right there!

Thurmond

Brian fred carr

Site Moderator
Mentor
You Have to remember that Josh B has to do every video as if its the first time for the viewer ,because a lot of the times it will be a new viewer....Unless it is a series then they have to be done in this way...and as for insincere...not a chance the man loves flight

Josh Scott

I hate to sound like the cynic, because a positive attitude is certainly refreshing, but if you sit down and watch the series from the beginning, like I did, after about twenty episodes, it actually becomes grating. Like it isn't true, like you are watching mandatory positivity. I'm not saying that he is insincere, rather that it seems impossible for someone to be that positive about everything. Makes me feel like a bad person. :D
You miss this if you watch the episodes as they come out, and don't try to watch all of them at once.

1. Josh B is literally the most positive, encouraging, and uplifting person I know.

2. Josh B is a horrible actor, and couldn't pretend to be positive if he tried.

IamNabil

1. Josh B is literally the most positive, encouraging, and uplifting person I know.

Haha. He does kinda come across as a bad actor. Sort of uncomfortable being internet-famous, maybe?

I am not trying to attack him; I know it looks like I am. Josh B, if you read this, I am not attacking your positivity. I am marveling in the fact that a person can be that positive, all of the time. It is unbelievable because people simply aren't like that any more.

Aces_High

There's a saying in the military, "false motivation is better than no motivation." While I agree that it can be grating, he does seem genuinely interested in every episode. Obviously he loves the hobby. Josh squared is part of the reason I'm getting into the hobby. They both seem to have a lot of fun doing it.

Metalbat

I don't think you can find two guys who are more suited and entertaining whilst imparting a lot of knowledge for a show of this nature. Josh Scott can be quiet funny while bringing us the newbie side of things and Josh Bixler just simply oozes natural excitement and passion for a hobby he quite clearly loves.

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
I have to agree Josh Bixler is awesome. I could certainly see him on a big budget hobby channel doing EXACTLY what he does now.

I was somewhat hoping Flitetest would fill that position, but while they make darn good entertaining and informative videos, they simply don't produce enough.

lonewolf7717

None of us are born with a natural aspiration to teach but with maturity and experience those who are willing fill that role. Educating a captive audience can be extremely rewarding on a personal level. In most cases being the purveyor of knowledge rather than a consumer leads to an overall very positive approach to life which Josh B exudes in his on camera role.

btw not a natural born teacher
lonewolf7717

cyasa

I agree totally but he also has a huge passion for rc which radiates from him.
All of the flite test crew are doing a great job.
I would love to meet you all one day, why dont you come to New Zealand?

Metalbat

Completely agree, but it's more than that. He, Josh Scott, David and Chad make this hobby seem fun and enjoyable to people who are looking to get into it and also to people who may have never really given much thought to it. Nobody else seems to do this. I was flying micro helis and these guys have got me hooked on planes and quads aswell. Josh B's passion was a large part of this.

cyasa

Completely agree, but it's more than that. He, Josh Scott, David and Chad make this hobby seem fun and enjoyable to people who are looking to get into it and also to people who may have never really given much thought to it. Nobody else seems to do this. I was flying micro helis and these guys have got me hooked on planes and quads aswell. Josh B's passion was a large part of this.

agreed, they the reason im flying