Official Flite Test Article Thread! (What do you want to see?)

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
This is the official thread for the Flite Test authored articles on flitetest.com.

If you have a suggestion or idea about content you want to see us write about, post down below! :unsure: Do you want:
  • More tutorials?
  • Exclusive aircraft projects and build logs?
  • Advanced electronics?
  • More aerodynamic theory?
  • Aviation news?

Notable articles will be shared on this thread. Let's keep it real FT community! :)

James.
Editor of flitetest.com
37290192_10204731292599584_8570993760454836224_o.jpg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’d likely an article about how thrust angles effect flight characteristic on a tractor plane, a pusher plane and a flying wing. Does "down thrust" do the same on all three? Or do they act differently?

If my pusher flying wing balloons when I power off, how do you fix it?

Last edited:

kdobson83

I LOVE all FT content. And while these bigger builds and crazier things the guys are doing, it's forcing them to release only 1 video a week. As posted above, you could add more reviews to your content line up to get us back to 2 videos a week. I would imagine reviews wouldn't take a whole heap of time and might be beneficial for the "less experienced" guys to get in on the reviews too. Since a large portion of the FT family are noobs, like me lol, it would be nice to get some reviews from us noobs too. Basically like Josh Scott was back in the day.

Idea #2 Highlight community content more. There are A LOT of great FT community content creators out there like yourself James, that make great content that would be worthy of highlighting in the videos.

Idea #3 Bring back more of the old sound tracks. I'm all for evolution and changing to grow the community and company, but the old music in my mind made the videos "feel" more FliteTesty. Again, kind of like your videos James, and even the new podcasts. I like the old music and all and don't want to go back to solely old music but add in more of the old music to help the FT videos feel more FT. Ya know?

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Love the forums, podcast, articles, all the FT stuff!! Keep it coming!!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I LOVE all FT content. And while these bigger builds and crazier things the guys are doing, it's forcing them to release only 1 video a week. As posted above, you could add more reviews to your content line up to get us back to 2 videos a week. I would imagine reviews wouldn't take a whole heap of time and might be beneficial for the "less experienced" guys to get in on the reviews too. Since a large portion of the FT family are noobs, like me lol, it would be nice to get some reviews from us noobs too. Basically like Josh Scott was back in the day.

Idea #2 Highlight community content more. There are A LOT of great FT community content creators out there like yourself James, that make great content that would be worthy of highlighting in the videos.

Idea #3 Bring back more of the old sound tracks. I'm all for evolution and changing to grow the community and company, but the old music in my mind made the videos "feel" more FliteTesty. Again, kind of like your videos James, and even the new podcasts. I like the old music and all and don't want to go back to solely old music but add in more of the old music to help the FT videos feel more FT. Ya know?

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Love the forums, podcast, articles, all the FT stuff!! Keep it coming!!
Agreed!!!! I miss the old FT music and I would really like to see some more community highlights, its time that grifflyer gets some attention in an episode. He has made so many cool free plans and a member like that needs to be highlighted. Also, not that full scale aviation isn't cool or anything, but this is a place for model planes so I would like to see more content about MODEL PLANES!!! 3 out of the last 8 articles have been about model planes and although they are interesting, they are just not what I come to see.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
We need a QandA, there hasn't been one in two years now!!!!!!!!!!!! Also some more articles from the community, out of the 16 articles that come up on the first page 14 of them are by you James

Last edited:

JTarmstr

Elite member
I want to see a highlight of @wilmracer 's B-17, and @willsonman 's Hanger 9 P-47 both of those builds require tremendous talent and perseverence and as far as i know there has been no spotlight on them.

Also yeah, Grifflyer and FoamyDM have some fantastic scratch builds going.

JTarmstr

Elite member
Agreed!!!! I miss the old FT music and I would really like to see some more community highlights, its time that grifflyer gets some attention in an episode. He has made so many cool free plans and a member like that needs to be highlighted. Also, not that full scale aviation isn't cool or anything, but this is a place for model planes so I would like to see more content about MODEL PLANES!!! 3 out of the last 8 articles have been about model planes and although they are interesting, they are just not what I come to see.

In the Flite Fest east 2017(2016 maybe?) video, grifflyers P-39 got highlighted, as far as i know that's the only video he was in.

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Thanks for all of this juicy feedback everyone! It's great to keep both the FT Team and community closely tied so we know what everyone wants to see more of.

I'd like to see an article about how to tow a RC Glider with another RC airplane. I look all around on the website and I couldn't find anything.

Yep! We can probably create an article on that. It should be a fun one.

I would like to see more reviews, if there are not going to be any more reviews on the show I would like to see some more of them in the articles. Great job on the articles btw, very clean

Thanks! We'll definately be having more reviews on flitetest.com in the future as it's becoming less of a focus in the main videos. We're trying to make the website more of a 'go-to' place for the community with articles on different subjects (new product reviews, tips, build logs) every single day.

I would like more balsa build series....

Great to know. I'll try to produce some more balsa related content very soon.

Thanks everyone :)

hifinsword

I would like to buy a kit of either the BIG A-10, or a 52in model of the Bugatti 100P. We need a build log and plans and kit for sale on both of these great planes. How about it?

JamesWhom

Project Air on YouTube
Just to reiterate, this is a thread for article topic suggestions. ;) Let us know what sort of official Flite Test articles you enjoy reading on flitetest.com and what subjects you want more on! (y)
Eg. more FPV articles, more on scratch building.

Thanks!

L Edge

Master member
More tutorials on program mixing.
The one you use quite often is differiential thrust. Very few pilots know how to do the mixing of master/slave. Once a pilot "gets it", it really can be applied up to scale like airplanes. How about a rotating gun turret or having a sequenced event?

Example:
I have a cargo ship that one engine starts, wait 5 seconds and then the second engine starts all done by a flip of a switch.
I installed a nose brake with a sequencer (program mix) so it is locked when starting engines, oscillates off and on(to control speed) the nose wheel to do a slow taxi, and then releases to take off. The process is then reversed to land, taxi slow, and then shut down engines 1 by 1. All done by understanding programming mix. This was done by a DX9 radio.

Hope you add that to the flitetest menu so others gain that knowledge.