• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

*Official* Foam Board Top Speed Challenge

Id estimate thatd likely take you around 130ish if you topped out the prop. With a 2800kv on 4s I topped out a 6x4.5 at 105 on my goblin.
While using the rcspeedo app it gave a top speed of 169mph coming out of a dive then straight and level. Not sure how accurate the app is but I would like to believe that it was doing every bit of it. It's no slow leak by any means. I'm currently working on another pusher build with a little more speed in mind. Only time will tell.

While using the rcspeedo app it gave a top speed of 169mph coming out of a dive then straight and level. Not sure how accurate the app is but I would like to believe that it was doing every bit of it. It's no slow leak by any means. I'm currently working on another pusher build with a little more speed in mind. Only time will tell.
I really like the goblin wing. Awhile back I purchased one of those epp hand toss gliders and converted it to a plank wing similar to the goblin. On 4s it's suprisingly quick and tracks very well. It has a 2307 2450kv motor on it I believe and definitely exceeds 100mph. Eventually I would like to put a different motor with a higher kv rating on it to see just what it's capable of as far as speed before wing flutter or something similar takes it out.

Id recommend getting a dedicated GPS unit. They're far more accurate. I have the SkyRC one. Just recorded 143mph today on my Freewing Avanti S.

Id recommend getting a dedicated GPS unit. They're far more accurate. I have the SkyRC one. Just recorded 143mph today on my Freewing Avanti S.
143mph with a ducted fan unit is pretty impressive. I assume you are using a 6s or higher for that kind of speed. I like the sound of a ducted fan model but the run time and lack of speed with a budget power system has deterred me from persuing such a model. I'm under the impression that to achieve a quick model like you have then it would be heavy and hard to launch with the heavier 4000mah 6s or higher packs needed for more than a couple of minutes of flight time.

143mph with a ducted fan unit is pretty impressive. I assume you are using a 6s or higher for that kind of speed. I like the sound of a ducted fan model but the run time and lack of speed with a budget power system has deterred me from persuing such a model. I'm under the impression that to achieve a quick model like you have then it would be heavy and hard to launch with the heavier 4000mah 6s or higher packs needed for more than a couple of minutes of flight time.
Its an 80mm edf running off a 5000 6s. It takes off fairly quick and has retracts. With those top speed passes I do 3-4 full bore passes followed by the rest of the flight being cruising around 1/2-2/3 power and I get 4 minutes with the battery at storage voltage.

I have NO evidence to back my claims, and I am almost certainly wrong, but it seems weird that someone just shows up tells us all to do something that is on a VERY fine line between legal and illegal, then tells us all to post videos of it, while I get what you are going for I think it is not very smart to post videos of it on the internet, much less even go faster then ~200mph with an RC airplane, it just seems like you are looking for trouble and the way stuff has been looking for this hobby when one person makes a tiny mistake, media companies like ABC news EXPLODE and everyone hates us the more for what one person did, while I do not think going super fast with an RC airplane is a problem, I do think going higher then 250 and posting VIDEOS of it is.

I have NO evidence to back my claims, and I am almost certainly wrong, but it seems weird that someone just shows up tells us all to do something that is on a VERY fine line between legal and illegal, then tells us all to post videos of it, while I get what you are going for I think it is not very smart to post videos of it on the internet, much less even go faster then ~200mph with an RC airplane, it just seems like you are looking for trouble and the way stuff has been looking for this hobby when one person makes a tiny mistake, media companies like ABC news EXPLODE and everyone hates us the more for what one person did, while I do not think going super fast with an RC airplane is a problem, I do think going higher then 250 and posting VIDEOS of it is.
There are ways around the speed limit. But also to hold a record on this forum we need more than word of mouth. I’ve seen a guy claiming his arrow was hitting 200 with 6x4.5 props lol