*Official* Foam Board Top Speed Challenge

Claym

Id estimate thatd likely take you around 130ish if you topped out the prop. With a 2800kv on 4s I topped out a 6x4.5 at 105 on my goblin.
While using the rcspeedo app it gave a top speed of 169mph coming out of a dive then straight and level. Not sure how accurate the app is but I would like to believe that it was doing every bit of it. It's no slow leak by any means. I'm currently working on another pusher build with a little more speed in mind. Only time will tell.

Claym

While using the rcspeedo app it gave a top speed of 169mph coming out of a dive then straight and level. Not sure how accurate the app is but I would like to believe that it was doing every bit of it. It's no slow leak by any means. I'm currently working on another pusher build with a little more speed in mind. Only time will tell.
I really like the goblin wing. Awhile back I purchased one of those epp hand toss gliders and converted it to a plank wing similar to the goblin. On 4s it's suprisingly quick and tracks very well. It has a 2307 2450kv motor on it I believe and definitely exceeds 100mph. Eventually I would like to put a different motor with a higher kv rating on it to see just what it's capable of as far as speed before wing flutter or something similar takes it out.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Id recommend getting a dedicated GPS unit. They're far more accurate. I have the SkyRC one. Just recorded 143mph today on my Freewing Avanti S.

Claym

Id recommend getting a dedicated GPS unit. They're far more accurate. I have the SkyRC one. Just recorded 143mph today on my Freewing Avanti S.
143mph with a ducted fan unit is pretty impressive. I assume you are using a 6s or higher for that kind of speed. I like the sound of a ducted fan model but the run time and lack of speed with a budget power system has deterred me from persuing such a model. I'm under the impression that to achieve a quick model like you have then it would be heavy and hard to launch with the heavier 4000mah 6s or higher packs needed for more than a couple of minutes of flight time.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
143mph with a ducted fan unit is pretty impressive. I assume you are using a 6s or higher for that kind of speed. I like the sound of a ducted fan model but the run time and lack of speed with a budget power system has deterred me from persuing such a model. I'm under the impression that to achieve a quick model like you have then it would be heavy and hard to launch with the heavier 4000mah 6s or higher packs needed for more than a couple of minutes of flight time.
Its an 80mm edf running off a 5000 6s. It takes off fairly quick and has retracts. With those top speed passes I do 3-4 full bore passes followed by the rest of the flight being cruising around 1/2-2/3 power and I get 4 minutes with the battery at storage voltage.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I have NO evidence to back my claims, and I am almost certainly wrong, but it seems weird that someone just shows up tells us all to do something that is on a VERY fine line between legal and illegal, then tells us all to post videos of it, while I get what you are going for I think it is not very smart to post videos of it on the internet, much less even go faster then ~200mph with an RC airplane, it just seems like you are looking for trouble and the way stuff has been looking for this hobby when one person makes a tiny mistake, media companies like ABC news EXPLODE and everyone hates us the more for what one person did, while I do not think going super fast with an RC airplane is a problem, I do think going higher then 250 and posting VIDEOS of it is.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
I have NO evidence to back my claims, and I am almost certainly wrong, but it seems weird that someone just shows up tells us all to do something that is on a VERY fine line between legal and illegal, then tells us all to post videos of it, while I get what you are going for I think it is not very smart to post videos of it on the internet, much less even go faster then ~200mph with an RC airplane, it just seems like you are looking for trouble and the way stuff has been looking for this hobby when one person makes a tiny mistake, media companies like ABC news EXPLODE and everyone hates us the more for what one person did, while I do not think going super fast with an RC airplane is a problem, I do think going higher then 250 and posting VIDEOS of it is.
There are ways around the speed limit. But also to hold a record on this forum we need more than word of mouth. I’ve seen a guy claiming his arrow was hitting 200 with 6x4.5 props lol

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Wow, go for it then, don’t say I didn’t warn you…..
Applying for waivers if you’re a 107 holder. Plus if you were really desperate for setting records in excess of 200 deserts and such would be better to apply for waivers for. Something desolate.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Thats missing the point here. To prove you went a speed would require proof
Kinda like wish.com trying to sell me those nifty little solvent traps...
20210724_070407.jpg