*Official* Foam Board Top Speed Challenge

Claym

Its an 80mm edf running off a 5000 6s. It takes off fairly quick and has retracts. With those top speed passes I do 3-4 full bore passes followed by the rest of the flight being cruising around 1/2-2/3 power and I get 4 minutes with the battery at storage voltage.
I was thinking you were hand launching for some reason. That's why I was concerned with the weight of the model. With landing gear takeoff weight isn't such an issue.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Whatever 🤷‍♂️ You can look at my record on this forum. Just not going to believe anyone went a speed without a gps unit reading
Im not trying to call you an undercover agent! 😂

Im just amused at how many people get busted for things because they posted them online. The powers that be don't even have to try, they just have to watch youtube and Facebook! Lol

Claym

You should really get a GPS unit on that. Looks on the video like its going about 100
I'm pretty sure it's a good bit faster than that. It was dopplered at 169. From what I have researched the doppler system is pretty accurate. A buddy of mine has had the speed of his pusher jet radared at 120+ and this one is much faster than his. I will have to save up and get a gps unit for further verification. It will come in handy on my newest build also. If all goes well it should be a breeze to accomplish 180-200mph with it.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
I'm pretty sure it's a good bit faster than that. It was dopplered at 169. From what I have researched the doppler system is pretty accurate. A buddy of mine has had the speed of his pusher jet radared at 120+ and this one is much faster than his. I will have to save up and get a gps unit for further verification. It will come in handy on my newest build also. If all goes well it should be a breeze to accomplish 180-200mph with it.
Ill be interested to see that. The SkyRC unit is only like $30-40 so its not too bad.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
If its any consolation you have inspired me to start working on a tractor delta with a big prop

Claym

If its any consolation you have inspired me to start working on a tractor delta with a big prop
I'm also planning a hotliner build similar to your smaller one. Will have a 28 inch wingspan with a 4000kv outrunner on 4s. It will resemble the Speedy plane design.

Piotrsko

Master member
Ummmm doppler is buggered up by plain old Euclidean geometry. Ever hear of slope angle or hypotenuse? I was once accused of doing 45 in a 25 zone on my folding 3 speed commuter bike. Used to be a speed plane guy on here, haven't heard from him in a while but he does 125 properly clocked.
Been to 125 estimated in a sloper. Hairy as all get out, but breaking out popcorn.

Claym

I'm also planning a hotliner build similar to your smaller one. Will have a 28 inch wingspan with a 4000kv outrunner on 4s. It will resemble the Speedy plane design.
Are you planning something like the speed freak outlaw design?

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Are you planning something like the speed freak outlaw design?
I’ve built Grifflyer’s unreleased hotliner which is around 42” span with a 2820 1250kv with a 10x10 prop. Only issue is I folded the first wing and the second one didn’t survive the launch lol. Need to just cut out another fuse

Hondo76251

Legendary member
How about pitot tubes?

At the speeds I'm usually cruising at they seem fairly accurate, not sure how they'd do at those speeds though.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
How about pitot tubes?

At the speeds I'm usually cruising at they seem fairly accurate, not sure how they'd do at those speeds though.
Theyre just generally rather expensive. Thats why I run GPS. Plus then I get groundspeed numbers instead of just just airspeed

Claym

This is my newest build that I'm hoping to be a little quicker. Was planning to power it with a 4s setup but may go to 5s or even 6s if everything goes well. It has a 30 gram racing quad motor on it for the first few test flights but if it's a stable flyer then it will probably be equipped with an inrunner.

Attachments

• IMG_20220522_154506_3.jpg
    IMG_20220522_154506_3.jpg
    809.3 KB · Views: 0