Oh Man, the Ups and Downs of Flying! Yesterday... TOUGH. Today... What a Great Feeling!!!!

flyinsparky

Today I left the field with just as many intact planes and even propellers as I came with! Depleted all six batteries I brought. It felt so good to have the planes do what I wanted them to do.

PXL_20220607_223815314.jpg

Yesterday was such a different story. I maidened my Tiny Trainer, (which was amazing) and then I proceeded to run it directly into the top of a lamppost, then onto concrete. (Why I flew it there... I cannot explain.) Then after a little repair, it wouldn't fly straight for anything! It would make a 90 degree turn about ten feet after launch... went through 3 propellers trying to get it going, lost a propeller nut, and felt like I may have ruined it on the first day. Then I moved onto the Simple Cub. I forgot to check my CG and had a few failed takeoffs. Once corrected, my wacky landing gear turned me into a chain link fence. Replaced the propeller and hand launched where it flew up to cruising altitude and then uncontrolled dove into the ground. (I had a servo come unglued.) When I got to the plane, It looked like a massacre. All the guts (electronics) were scattered all over, prop in multiple pieces, firewall broken, landing gear ripped out and mangled, wing 5 feet away, broken rubber bands all over the place... I tried so hard but it wasn't my day.

Today, I rebuilt everything. New firewall, some reinforcement of control horns and servos, and an unspecified amount of glue. Also, I really enjoy the building/repairing. Had these issues been on production models, I'd have to do some shopping before getting it going again. With the FT planes, I'm back out the next day. All the flights today went just like I wanted, I feel like I've actually got the hang of it. Now I just have to figure out how to land my Simple Cub without flipping it over. Any tips?

Last edited:

RossFPV

Same, same. I’m in the extremely early stages so I’ve been eating props like crazy. Spent the weekend and about $0.75 in foam board and glue to rebuild things and built them a little better than before. The bourbon in the silver cup there adds flavor to the build.

More props and a new kit arrived today. :D
View attachment 226763
That picture makes me wonder how a twin boom tiny trainer would fly

Gray Harlequin

Now I just have to figure out how to land my Simple Cub without flipping it over. Any tips?

I had a very hard time getting my simple cub not to flip upon landing. I tried approaches at every airspeed and more times than not it would flip over. One thing that may help is to keep up elevator input in during touchdown and increase it as speed decreases. This will help "stick" the tail down when landing. Just don't add too much too soon or you will balloon back in the air.

I finally adjusted my gear geometry and that made a huge difference. I learned that on tail draggers it is best to have the gear positioned at least 15 degrees in front of the CG. After I did this, no more flipping.

gear_geometry.png

It looks like you have this on your cub so my concern would be that the gear wire looks really thin. Could be too much flex on landing. Also, may contribute to the steering problems as the gear flexes from asymmetrical drag on the wheels.

flyinsparky

Thanks Gray, beefing up the landing gear has been on my list, I think that would help. I always use increasing elevator when landing, but something I realized last week was that I wasn't using high rates when landing and that was probably limiting my elevator way too much. That, in addition to a 700g AUW means I'm not scrubbing off enough speed when bringing it in. I've also read that increasing the wing incidence angle may help out as well, so I'll give that a shot too.

I've seen other people's simple cub float in on landing, and mine just doesn't do that! I am planning on rebuilding it with the Readi-Board instead of the Elmer's foam board once this one gets too destroyed. (Which may not ever happen because it's such a tank.)

FishbonesAir

Today I left the field with just as many intact planes and even propellers as I came with! Depleted all six batteries I brought. It felt so good to have the planes do what I wanted them to do.

View attachment 226744

Yesterday was such a different story. I maidened my Tiny Trainer, (which was amazing) and then I proceeded to run it directly into the top of a lamppost, then onto concrete. (Why I flew it there... I cannot explain.) Then after a little repair, it wouldn't fly straight for anything! It would make a 90 degree turn about ten feet after launch... went through 3 propellers trying to get it going, lost a propeller nut, and felt like I may have ruined it on the first day. Then I moved onto the Simple Cub. I forgot to check my CG and had a few failed takeoffs. Once corrected, my wacky landing gear turned me into a chain link fence. Replaced the propeller and hand launched where it flew up to cruising altitude and then uncontrolled dove into the ground. (I had a servo come unglued.) When I got to the plane, It looked like a massacre. All the guts (electronics) were scattered all over, prop in multiple pieces, firewall broken, landing gear ripped out and mangled, wing 5 feet away, broken rubber bands all over the place... I tried so hard but it wasn't my day.

Today, I rebuilt everything. New firewall, some reinforcement of control horns and servos, and an unspecified amount of glue. Also, I really enjoy the building/repairing. Had these issues been on production models, I'd have to do some shopping before getting it going again. With the FT planes, I'm back out the next day. All the flights today went just like I wanted, I feel like I've actually got the hang of it. Now I just have to figure out how to land my Simple Cub without flipping it over. Any tips?
Lampposts are like magnets 🧲, and I strongly suspect are filled with some sort of alien substance that attracts foam. This in turn draws foam board airplanes to their doom, just like ancient Greek Sirens.

They're EVIL I tell yah!