Ok, I need a plane

N2174J

Alright, here it is; I am middle aged, been around planes my whole life, do some RC heli flying, but love airplanes and need a starter. I have a Sport Cub S to learn on but want something Flite Test, maybe a twin, to go to and build on. Love warbirds WWI & WWII; like the DC-3, Grumman Goose, etc. I want to get a power pack I can build on and grow, single or twin. I also love bush flying STOL and maybe water in the future. Want a capable plane that will fly well and take on some aerobatics, just loops, rolls, stalls, etc. Prefer capability to use gear or not.
Complicated enough?
Ok, shoot!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Storch (or legacy if you want twin) is a good capable STOL platform. Also pretty easy to get floats set up for it.

I haven't built it yet, but I hear good things about the mustang. If a twin is what you're after, even though it's not technically a war bird, I really like the FT Cruiser.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @Hondo76251, the Storch is a great plane. If you are looking for a trainer, I would add the Bushwhacker, Explorer, Simple Cub and Tiny Trainer to the list.

if you are looking for something more advanced, consider Mustang and Spitfire. My personal favorites are the Versa and FT3D.

N2174J

Nice! Thank you, I keep checking out vids both FT and some people's experiences and the Storch is looking good but the Legacy is also. I like the versatility and ability for growth on the Legacy a lot. I am in a pretty technical field and my experience with aviation is helpful for mods. I think my biggest issue right now is I want to fly them all and I need a good base. I've half-a-mind to build the P-38 and stick floats on her later, lol.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
I agree with @Hondo76251, the Storch is a great plane. If you are looking for a trainer, I would add the Bushwhacker, Explorer, Simple Cub and Tiny Trainer to the list.

if you are looking for something more advanced, consider Mustang and Spitfire. My personal favorites are the Versa and FT3D.

I'm going to be building the either the FT3D or the FT Edge 540 after I crash my FT-22 beyond repair! Which one do you think I should build?

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Alright, here it is; I am middle aged, been around planes my whole life, do some RC heli flying, but love airplanes and need a starter. I have a Sport Cub S to learn on but want something Flite Test, maybe a twin, to go to and build on. Love warbirds WWI & WWII; like the DC-3, Grumman Goose, etc. I want to get a power pack I can build on and grow, single or twin. I also love bush flying STOL and maybe water in the future. Want a capable plane that will fly well and take on some aerobatics, just loops, rolls, stalls, etc. Prefer capability to use gear or not.
Complicated enough?
Ok, shoot!

The Bushwhacker is a great plane, just make sure not to add to much weight! I made that mistake and it flew terribly! The FT Spitfire is also a great airplane!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I would say a bushwacker. If you feel like it you can add dihedral. I flew one as the second plane I ever succesfuly flew. I folded the wings because I didn't include a wooden spar :)
E00A45A1-FF09-4BCA-8BE9-AAE6CC34A3ED.png

N2174J

The Bushwhacker is definitely a good plane and it's been mentioned as well. It does fit most of my criteria so I am marking some extra points. I would definitely be sure to put a good spark in. I need to get some good time in and build skill as I have owned a balsa P-38 kit for years and once she's built I want to fly her at least once without demolishing her. That's going to be a while...
Thank you for your input, I am starting to lean toward the Bushwhacker more now.
👍🏼

N2174J

Awesome! Thank you!
I think Merv is right on with his advice, it is a good idea to start with the FT3D before moving on to the Edge. The FT3D looks like a great platform to start 3D flying on and I know a guy that has an Edge that I have helped with repairs. He had done aerobatics a good bit when he got his Edge and he managed to crash her on the maiden, lol. It took him a little while to feel comfortable enough to go 3D.

DarkFire

I would say a bushwacker. If you feel like it you can add dihedral. I flew one as the second plane I ever succesfuly flew. I folded the wings because I didn't include a wooden spar :)

Had a good laugh at that pic, it's so perfect :ROFLMAO:

In response to the original thread question, I would highly recommend the Sportster. Rugged, simple, and great looks paired with a wide speed envelope and good aerobatics capabilities. I built one as my second plane ever about 5 years ago and it came out about 200 grams on the heavy side. The best flyer I've had and it still sits proudly on my workbench

N2174J

Awesome! Thanks for the input, I haven't had a suggestion for the Sporster, but looked at her while checking out the Simple Scout as an option. In the process I thought about the Legacy with its flight characteristics and being highly upgradeable. I haven't seen one on floats, but I looked into the option and, outside of building a set, found that the Apprentice S has a set that would be pretty close to the right size. Anybody else thought on that?

N2174J

Ok, it's been a while since I posted on this. Today feels momentous, to me anyway. After chatting with people and reading posts, even watching a bunch of videos, I not only made a decision but it has arrived. I got a lovely, well packed box today with a power pack, couple of batteries, some wheels, and a shiny package with precut FT foam. The winner of the "Make my Day Sweepstakes" is...
The FT Simple Scout!
After a lot of consideration and watching builds and maidens, as well as a ton of Flite Test videos; I was impressed with the stability and flight characteristics of the Scout. Flies fast, slow, resembles a warbird, has been run with floats (or great big pontoony skis), can handle some grass, and can do STOL. She's not the obvious or mist orthodox choice but I plan to own it. Time to build, fly, crash, and repeat!

Attachments

• 20200220_172740.jpg
    20200220_172740.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200220_172424.jpg
    20200220_172424.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Ok, it's been a while since I posted on this. Today feels momentous, to me anyway. After chatting with people and reading posts, even watching a bunch of videos, I not only made a decision but it has arrived. I got a lovely, well packed box today with a power pack, couple of batteries, some wheels, and a shiny package with precut FT foam. The winner of the "Make my Day Sweepstakes" is...
The FT Simple Scout!
After a lot of consideration and watching builds and maidens, as well as a ton of Flite Test videos; I was impressed with the stability and flight characteristics of the Scout. Flies fast, slow, resembles a warbird, has been run with floats (or great big pontoony skis), can handle some grass, and can do STOL. She's not the obvious or mist orthodox choice but I plan to own it. Time to build, fly, crash, and repeat!
Good choice! I love my scout, but I finally had to retire it. It flies on rails though! Have fun, and be sure to keep us posted on the build and maiden!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
The FT Simple Scout!
The scout is a great trainer system. Even better, its an Eindecker🙃

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Scouts are fun planes. :) I myself have never flown one, but they fly extremely well, and when running on high rates, can snap around like nobody's business. :) If you're learning, keep it on the low rates - high at speed is twitchy. :)

I think you'll like it, though, and as you said, build, fly, crash, & repeat!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Scouts are fun planes. :) I myself have never flown one, but they fly extremely well, and when running on high rates, can snap around like nobody's business. :) If you're learning, keep it on the low rates - high at speed is twitchy. :)

I think you'll like it, though, and as you said, build, fly, crash, & repeat!
You should build one! They are a pretty quick and simple build!

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
The FT Simple Scout!

Awesome! I haven't flown the Simple Scout myself, but I'm guessing it's a great plane! I'm going to have to build one sometime.

CrazyFastFlying

Elite member
Good choice! I love my scout, but I finally had to retire it. It flies on rails though! Have fun, and be sure to keep us posted on the build and maiden!

I just retired my bushwhacker. It was still in good cosmic condition, but I added to many extras and made it WAY to heavy! lol! Stripped all the electronics out and tossed the airframe in the trash. That's one of the good thing about foamboard, the airframes are so cheap!