Ok - now I'm confused...

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Any updates on this one? :)
Hmmmm, replaced the arms the ESC's and the FC for an Omnibus F4 V3, and it I'm not really getting anywhere with anything like stable flight.
So for the moment I've shelved this tricopter and moved on to a 650 mm framed quad. Reusing the tricopters 3 motors and have purchased a forth identical motor and ESC. Did a dry run build to the quad frame and it looks rather super.

Aerobot

I've had complications in each turn trying to get the F3FC hardware up in the air. And, I love tricopters. I built one from scratch years ago using an apm 2.8. Short story is that I burned out the PCB of the original F3FC I purchased years ago :(

Longer story... I tried a Matek F405-std and couldn't get a Triflight FW to take advantage of the tailtune/servotune function. Then, I got a Naze32-rev6 and was able to flash Triflight v 0.7 Beta 3 FW (triflight_0.7_Beta3_NAZE.hex) onto the board using openflight (CF kept timing out while flashing and BF wouldn't flash properly), I set the tri up with CF and when flipping my aux switch to autotune, the servo jumped left and right with no rhyme or reason - didn't behave when using the yaw command either.

I'm now stuck with great hardware and a non working FC. Using a frsky x9d + (2019) and an X8R receiver.

And to add insult to injury, I can't get dRonin to recognize any board - it sees a com port, but will not connect. To do some re-flashing, I've used Zadig, ImpulseRC. I have W10 and good working USB cables as I'm able to connect boards to CF, BF, OP and iNav without any problems.

Any suggestions? I'm aware that this is an older post, but I've been looking and looking for a way to get out of this quagmire. @CarolineTyler @LitterBug ? Thanks in advance for any advice.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
What board do you currently have on the Tricopter? dRonin has a very narrow selection of supported FCs, but if you have one that is supported, I can probably Help.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
What board do you currently have on the Tricopter? dRonin has a very narrow selection of supported FCs, but if you have one that is supported, I can probably Help.
FYI, I have had the best results with older hardware due to lack of time/testing, but also keep in contact with one of the devs that ported it to some of the newer firmwares/hardware (iNav/BetaFlight)

Aerobot

FYI, I have had the best results with older hardware due to lack of time/testing, but also keep in contact with one of the devs that ported it to some of the newer firmwares/hardware (iNav/BetaFlight)

Currently, it's the naze32-std rev. 6

Aerobot

Currently, it's the naze32-std rev. 6

I'm not necessarily attached to the Naze FC. Just chose it because David W used a mod of an F3 Naze on his F3FC. If there is a better inexpensive FC working well with Triflight FW, I could switch it out

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Sorry, I'm not going to be able to offer any decent input to this, I gave up on tricopters as not only are they hard to get working decently but even the best tuned is no match for a 5" quad running vanilla betaflight. There's a couple of guys I've seen flying tricopters and they all used the CC3D along with the screen and 4-button interface - they like the ability to adjust the tune in the field without a computer.

Aerobot

Sorry, I'm not going to be able to offer any decent input to this, I gave up on tricopters as not only are they hard to get working decently but even the best tuned is no match for a 5" quad running vanilla betaflight. There's a couple of guys I've seen flying tricopters and they all used the CC3D along with the screen and 4-button interface - they like the ability to adjust the tune in the field without a computer.
@CarolineTyler Thank you for your response. Since I ran into a similar problem that you face a few years ago, I thought I would tag on my complication at the end of your thread. My purpose in flying tricopters is use them as a teaching tool. However, I'll begin a new thread - thanks for your feedback.
@LitterBug , I'll begin a new thread. Thanks in advance for your support.