• 1/4 carbon tube frame L-4

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • 1/4 carbon tube frame Decathlon

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyclone3350

Master member
I have just competed my 1/4 scale Sig Clipped Wing Cub and now what? The first thing I am going to start on tomorrow is to totally rearranging my work space and get things organized once & for all. The question is what next? I have a zillion projects collected over the years & I have narrowed it down to 3 that I should be able to knock out within 3 months or so. I am leaving it up to y'all to help me decide which one. I have a self designed twin 70mm sport jet that is kinda sort of a F-5. Cut out of pink foam and fiberglassed. I started a thread on this one before I was knocked down by COVID. Not to wild about going back to it, as it will probably will go a little over 3 months. Then there is this crazy idea of doing a 1/4 scale carbon fiber tube frame of a L-4 fuse and mating it to the wings and horizontal stab of from a wrecked H9 J3. This will be based on the Paolo Severin L-4 plans. This kit was originally done with a steel tube frame. The last idea ( one I am leaning towards ) is a 1/4 scale carbon tube frame fuse, based on factory drawings, of a Decathlon. To cut down on time, I will be using the wings and horizontal stab from a VH 96" ARF. When I mention the wings & tail of another source, I am referring to just the frame work. It will all be recovered to match the colors I want. Polls close next Monday.

IMG_5312.JPG
IMG_2393.JPG
IMG_4725.JPG
Rumpfgeruest_und_Streben.jpg
Ansicht_von_vorne_2j.jpg
IMG_4395 (003)a.jpg
105.png
View attachment 212296
download (5).png

(y)(y)(y)(y)
First of all, after that most recent project you'll need to retire. You've completed the mission, you've won the game.
2nd, I don't want to hear nothing about "kinda sorta". That's an F-5 whether it's slightly edited or not. The F-5 is always sexy.
3rd, it's good to be seeing you around here again.
4th: Go away. You're a design/build maniac and you're making the rest of us look like children.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’ll toss my vote in for the decathlon. I’m starting to eye bigger builds myself, the Hostetler Luscombe Silvair is catching my attention, it would be a hard build but worth it.

cyclone3350

Master member
I’ll toss my vote in for the decathlon. I’m starting to eye bigger builds myself, the Hostetler Luscombe Silvair is catching my attention, it would be a hard build but worth it.

Go to any club field on a nice weekend and U R guarantied to see a Cub, Citabria or a Decathlon. Occasionally a Taylorcraft. But to see a Silvaire, yes it would be worth it! I don't know why that one got overlooked from that era.

Scotto

Elite member
Go to any club field on a nice weekend and U R guarantied to see a Cub, Citabria or a Decathlon. Occasionally a Taylorcraft. But to see a Silvaire, yes it would be worth it! I don't know why that one got overlooked from that era.
Im just curious. Do you see many Stinsons? Other than Reliants. I dont go to any club fields so I just dont know whats out there I guess.

Attachments

• 31f622aaa74dced24f67a78db009328f.jpg
    31f622aaa74dced24f67a78db009328f.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 0

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
The Sig Kadet series R probably the best trainers out there. Both in the flying as well as a balsa build trainer. I might consider a FB version if I need to get a quick build done. This was my last FB build back in March.
I released the plans for a FB version on Sunday. We're also starting a group build on Saturday. I was just thinking that you might want to join in the group build

cyclone3350

Master member
(y)(y)(y)(y)
First of all, after that most recent project you'll need to retire. You've completed the mission, you've won the game.
2nd, I don't want to hear nothing about "kinda sorta". That's an F-5 whether it's slightly edited or not. The F-5 is always sexy.
3rd, it's good to be seeing you around here again.
4th: Go away. You're a design/build maniac and you're making the rest of us look like children.

1) I am ready to retire, but not from the hobby 2) Kinda Sorta is a better title than Stand Off scale F-5 3) it is good to be back, thanks. 4) Not for a while. I want get another build in during my manic CPBD up cycle.

cyclone3350

Master member
I released the plans for a FB version on Sunday. We're also starting a group build on Saturday. I was just thinking that you might want to join in the group build

I will take a look @ it. Thanks for the invite. My wife lined some metal shelves in the pantry with Adams FB she bought today. There was some left over. Could be tempting.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
As soon as the 30cc ultra stick it off my bench I’ll be starting on the cloud dancer first and putting a dle-35 in it. Then if all goes well I’ll start tackling the Silvair. She’ll be a big girl at 29% with a 122” ws and a gp-76 on the nose!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
As soon as the 30cc ultra stick it off my bench I’ll be starting on the cloud dancer first and putting a dle-35 in it. Then if all goes well I’ll start tackling the Silvair. She’ll be a big girl at 29% with a 122” ws and a gp-76 on the nose!
I wonder what would happen if you strapped a gp-76 onto someone's nose😉🤔..... 😂😂😂

cyclone3350

Master member
This is what has been next, as well as to what will be.

Well I took a break on foam & balsa. Yes I went to the dark side & went plastic. My father was a part owner of a Republic SeaBee many many moons ago & before my time. He found this old Glencoe kit and asked if I would put it together for him years ago. I just found it when reorganizing my work space. I thought I would take this time to finally put it together & make it his Christmas present. In the mean time, what's next? Well I came across one these for a price I could not resist. I thought it would go perfect for the L-4. Damn, too big & heavy. Now, I am working on the feasibility of making this thing 1/3 scale. With help, I can get it out of my basement. Now, I have to figure out if it will fit in my Pathfinder. Plus, I just bought all this carbon tubing to do the 1/4. Now I have to consider the expense of buying another set for a 1/3rd scale monster. This is the OS Gemini 240. The guy I bought this from also has an OS Gemini II 120. A little under powered for the L-4 in a 1/4. but I might consider that one if the 1/3 is going to be out of my ability to get it to the field

IMG_5360.JPG
IMG_5364.JPG
IMG_5368.JPG
IMG_5370.JPG
IMG_5372.JPG
IMG_5373.JPG
IMG_5374.JPG