Ok... What happened?

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
What are skins for FT Foam Board?

Skins are something I have been doing for a while now. Basically you cover the foam with pre-printed "skins" before building. Then build in the FT style and you get something like this:
DSC_0016 (2).JPG

Anyway Matt was asking about when I would be done with them and they are just about finished. So in short, I was joking with him. :p
FT Proof.jpg

Last edited:

Captain Jay

Elite member
Skins are something I have been doing for a while now. Basically you cover the foam with pre-printed "skins" before building. The build in the FT style and you get something like this:
View attachment 137139

Anyway Matt was asking about when I would be done with them and they are just about finished. So in short, I was joking with him. :p
View attachment 137140
Do you have a website I can get them from? They are really cool!!! And do I print them on ledger size paper? Do I take the FT paper off and replace it with this paper? So many questions. Lol

Rasterize

Mentor
Thanks for the interest Captian Jay! I would start with my skin index thread here. Lots of info and a few videos to start.

The resource pages where you can find them to download are here. Some are in letter and legal format. I have stopped formatting them to save time so the newer one are in Arch D size (24X36).These can be printed from Acrobat Reader (free from Adobe) in "poster format" to whatever size paper you wish.

Finally, I do have a website (http://fliteskins.com/ ) where I sell the skins printed on 20 lbs bond paper (to keep it light) on a 24" wide inkjet so there is no gluing/taping smaller sheets together and it keeps the cost down. The sight is only a month old so I'm adding stuff as I go. The FAQ has many answers to common questions. You can find the website here.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Thank you Rasterize! I'll put those on my spitfire for my Maiden! Just a little history, my Great Grandfather flew the Spitfire in WWII as part of the Eagle Squadron. He saw some action, but went to go be an instructor. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Eagle Squadron, it was a group of American volunteer pilots who went to go fly spitfires (and Hawker Hurricanes) to help Britain. This was prior to the United States' entry into World War 2. So this plane (and the skins) are very important to me! I will probably use stickers to put the correct lettering on the side of the aircraft, just so it is an EXACT replica of the plane Great Grandpa flew! :) I'll post my Maiden flight on my YouTube channel, Aerospace Matt Link: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCb1M7nushmYsUnp36hAcNyA

Rasterize

Mentor
Thank you Rasterize! I'll put those on my spitfire for my Maiden! Just a little history, my Great Grandfather flew the Spitfire in WWII as part of the Eagle Squadron. He saw some action, but went to go be an instructor. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Eagle Squadron, it was a group of American volunteer pilots who went to go fly spitfires (and Hawker Hurricanes) to help Britain. This was prior to the United States' entry into World War 2. So this plane (and the skins) are very important to me!

Matt, Awesome story! I love aircraft with a story attached especially when it's someone we know. The Spitfire skins are in the final stages. If you have any photos of your great grandfather's Spit, I'd love to modify the skins to match his plane! I'll then send you a copy in honor of him. Hit me up with a PM if your interested. Again thanks for sharing!

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
Matt, Awesome story! I love aircraft with a story attached especially when it's someone we know. The Spitfire skins are in the final stages. If you have any photos of your great grandfather's Spit, I'd love to modify the skins to match his plane! I'll then send you a copy in honor of him. Hit me up with a PM if your interested. Again thanks for sharing!
I think my Dad's got a photo or something of a spitfire from his squadron. I'm still researching about him but yeah I'm interested and I'll certainly let you know when I got all the info on his plane!

Captain Jay

Elite member
Thanks for the interest Captian Jay! I would start with my skin index thread here. Lots of info and a few videos to start.

The resource pages where you can find them to download are here. Some are in letter and legal format. I have stopped formatting them to save time so the newer one are in Arch D size (24X36).These can be printed from Acrobat Reader (free from Adobe) in "poster format" to whatever size paper you wish.

Finally, I do have a website (http://fliteskins.com/ ) where I sell the skins printed on 20 lbs bond paper (to keep it light) on a 24" wide inkjet so there is no gluing/taping smaller sheets together and it keeps the cost down. The sight is only a month old so I'm adding stuff as I go. The FAQ has many answers to common questions. You can find the website here.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
I need a skin for a Super Bandit 50mm size edf and a 64 mm edf size plane... got a download link? I can hit Staples near home or print on 11x17 at work for free...

Matthew Sanders

Elite member
**Spitfire update**
Came out gorgeous and flew awesome!
View attachment 144042
Wow! Looking awesome! I've done one of your skins post build, the mini mustang Paul 1. My compliments on great work! I'm still researching my great grandfathers Spitfire, I can't find any markings for his. BTW, his crashed after he left to become an instructor. Kinda like mine did on my 3rd flight. Note: this wasn't the time it hit a fence. That was flight 2. It's such an easy plane to fly, so I'm kinda worried that I crashed it. Turns out my dad who was with me said a rubber band for the wing came off, causing my wing to fall off. Here's the aftermath
IMG_3729.JPG

Josh on Flite test says that early success in the hobby is key. Why wasn't this my first plane? I got the power pack C and made my own Airplane instead of one I knew should fly. My diy plane was a disaster, as I was using foam board for firewalls. The Spitfire on the other hand works, and it only took me a little TLC and about 10 minutes worth of work to fix it!