Old Flyzone Beaver Battery question

BluffFlyer

Greetings!

I'm trying to help my 10 year old son who has been flying for a few years now.

We fixed up an older Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver "Island Wings" edition. We only had one battery for it, a 11.1V, 2100mAh, 20C battery. We have several 11.1V, 2200mAh, 25C batteries in our parts stash. The old 2100 battery is no longer working. Can we use the 2200 batteries?

The manual recommends either an 1800mAh 20C or a 2100mAh 20C battery. The motor is a 40mm 850kV outrunner and the ESC is a 40A. Both appear to be original. It has a 12x6 prop which is recommended.

Thanks in advance! We are still learning!!!

FDS

Elite member
The bigger battery will be fine, just watch the centre of gravity, not too nose heavy. Lighter would be better but 100mah capacity won’t add too much weight.

BluffFlyer

Great! And there won't be an issue with the 20C vs. the 25C? We have three of the larger batteries so we are hoping to save the expense.

FDS

Elite member
C rating is the discharge peak @1000mah. The battery doesn’t push current to the motor, the motor responds to the load put upon it, drawing current from the battery. More C rating is better, I never buy flight batteries less than 40C even in the larger sizes.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
The beaver is a slow flying low KV motor and doesnt require a high C rating.

you can fly full throttle the entire flight and wont warm the battery..........you will be fine

Bricks

Master member
Many thanks! We read a few articles and tried to do the math but it just made us more cross eyed.

I know the feeling when it comes to this hobby many have different opinions about many things, there are very few hard and fast rules.

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
I understand....... I actually fly the DHC beaver too....mine doesnt seem to care what battery is in it as long as its just 3S;)

have you flown it before? they are great easy scale flyers, they take off in 15 ft
I fly mine on floats only

BluffFlyer

He has flown it several times on the old battery. We live in the desert of Southern Utah so not many options for floats. We fixed it up with wheels. Thankfully the new Turbo Beaver has many of the same parts so we could fix up the older version. Our Beaver always pulls strong left from ground takeoff. We've never figured out why. He counters it with right rudder. It's his largest plane and makes him a bit nervous to fly. He has a Simple Cub, UMX Timber, UMX Radian. I, Dad, am in the process of building a Tiny Trainer for me that he will (hopefully) tow up and release initially. Great fun! Thanks for the help on our battery upgrade!

Aireal Anarchist

Elite member
mine pulls and I counter with rudder on the water aswell , I was going to say "I just got used to it" but now that we are talking about it....
This season I changed to a smaller dia 3 blade to stop the prop/water splash people with floats experience....it did stop splashing on my FPV cam but maybe thats why I dont notice the pull anymore?
I will pay attention to that next time I fly it

Last edited:
Reactions: FDS
Hello i also have a Beaver but my battery has kicked the bucket and i am having a difficult time trying to find a replacement one would anyone else know where i could find one? much appreciated!!

the rc project

Hello i also have a Beaver but my battery has kicked the bucket and i am having a difficult time trying to find a replacement one would anyone else know where i could find one? much appreciated!!
3s 2200 might be the most common hobby battery, all hobby shops should have them. If not try Amazon or hobby king but I recommend buying a good battery from a hobby shop.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Greetings!

I'm trying to help my 10 year old son who has been flying for a few years now.

We fixed up an older Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver "Island Wings" edition. We only had one battery for it, a 11.1V, 2100mAh, 20C battery. We have several 11.1V, 2200mAh, 25C batteries in our parts stash. The old 2100 battery is no longer working. Can we use the 2200 batteries?

The manual recommends either an 1800mAh 20C or a 2100mAh 20C battery. The motor is a 40mm 850kV outrunner and the ESC is a 40A. Both appear to be original. It has a 12x6 prop which is recommended.

Thanks in advance! We are still learning!!!
I'd only use 2100-2300 packs, so yes.

BluffFlyer

We have been using a 2200 3s in our Flyzone Beaver. I'm certain we used that size with the original ESC with the Deans (T style) connecter. You can get a small adapter for a few bucks anywhere. I think you'd need a XT60 female to Deans male.

We have the Island Wings edition. Does anyone know what Spektrum transmitter flap settings (like what % down elevator) also what dual rate and expo settings? We lost our program.

Scary

We have been using a 2200 3s in our Flyzone Beaver. I'm certain we used that size with the original ESC with the Deans (T style) connecter. You can get a small adapter for a few bucks anywhere. I think you'd need a XT60 female to Deans male.

We have the Island Wings edition. Does anyone know what Spektrum transmitter flap settings (like what % down elevator) also what dual rate and expo settings? We lost our program.

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_144146671.jpg
    IMG_20210124_144146671.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Don’t overthink it. I have a Turbo Beaver, almost identical, and fly it with all sorts of 3s batteries. Ranging from a 1300, 1800 and 2200mah with various C ratings. Just check your COG with each. I’ve actually taped weight to the smaller batteries so they are ready to go with no COG issues.