Old Fogey 4 channel ?

alan0043

Hi Everyone,

I have a few questions about the Old Fogey. Has anyone made an Old Fogey a 4 channel plane ? I know that the only thing that needs to be done is to add ailerons to the main wing. I know that the wing does have dihedral on the outer 2 sections. Were would be the best place on the main wing for the ailerons ? The center section ? or on the outer sections ?

All opinions welcomed,
Al

Piotrsko

Master member
Ailerons have the most effect located at the tips, on full span with dihederal there is an unwelcome yaw aspect which has to be dealt with by differential throws.

alan0043

Ailerons have the most effect located at the tips, on full span with dihederal there is an unwelcome yaw aspect which has to be dealt with by differential throws.

Thank you for the answer. I'll need to do some research on what differential throws are. :unsure::)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
... what differential throws are. :unsure::)
You want the up aileron to go up more than the down aileron goes down. The up aileron will have more drag, pulling the plane through a turn. If it is the other way, the plane will have a tendency to yaw in the opposite direction, aka adverse yaw.

The secret differential throws is in how you setup your servo. If the servo comes out the top of the wing, you want the servo horn slightly rearward, one spline. If your servos come out the bottom, you want the horn slightly forward.

alan0043

You want the up aileron to go up more than the down aileron goes down. The up aileron will have more drag, pulling the plane through a turn. If it is the other way, the plane will have a tendency to yaw in the opposite direction, aka adverse yaw.

The secret differential throws is in how you setup your servo. If the servo comes out the top of the wing, you want the servo horn slightly rearward, one spline. If your servos come out the bottom, you want the horn slightly forward.

Thank you for the help. Just about ready for the servo linkage. The servo is coming out of the bottom.