Old Fogey flight on a calm day

NewZee

Hi All,
Flew the "Old fogey" six (6) times today in light winds and it was much better than the previous outing in 15-20 MPH winds! The plane is very stable and well mannared, it self stabilizes if you just let go of the controls, if you haven't built or flown this plane yet I would recommend it! especialy for new pilots, it will give you those much needed minutes in the air!

I was using a 1300mAh battery and a 9X6 SF prop, on a NTM 28 26 1200kv motor I pushed the battery far forward in the power pod and I thought the balance was great!

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Nice to see you in the air with it again, Zee! Looks like she flies better without all the wind!

gizmodog

Hi All,
Flew the "Old fogey" six (6) times today in light winds and it was much better than the previous outing in 15-20 MPH winds! The plane is very stable and well mannared, it self stabilizes if you just let go of the controls, if you haven't built or flown this plane yet I would recommend it! especialy for new pilots, it will give you those much needed minutes in the air!

I was using a 1300mAh battery and a 9X6 SF prop, on a NTM 28 26 1200kv motor I pushed the battery far forward in the power pod and I thought the balance was great!

very nice. looks like that combo is plenty powerful enough.....

GD

Bolvon72

Mentor
I love the Fogey, it was my first scratch and still is my go to plane for aerial videography. Slow and stable.

NewZee

I love the Fogey, it was my first scratch and still is my go to plane for aerial videography. Slow and stable.

Couldn't agree more! I fly the fogey more than my other planes, because It will give me those much needed minutes in the air! As I improve my skills I'll go to my spitfire more, but for right now I do less damage to the Old fogey!

tpplsn

What was your first plane that you learned on? I want to get into the hobby and am wondering how other people got into it.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
@ Zee did you put any down thrust or right thrust when you mounted your engine?
As mine would lift off it would bank left so hard the wing tip kept hitting the ground, I did mine from scratch and I knew there were some mistakes from trying to line up all the sheets of the plans. I am going to do another one but am going to take the plans to staples and have them done on 1 sheet so I can get better alignment. I have built an ft flyer but have to wait on the electronics for it and will get some flying time on it while I am working on getting Old Fogey #2 done.
@tpplsn if you like to build do something like the ft flyer, if you don't then do something like the champ. these are cheap. Then if you decide that rc planes are for you you will have a good idea of where you want to go next.

NewZee

@ Zee did you put any down thrust or right thrust when you mounted your engine?
As mine would lift off it would bank left so hard the wing tip kept hitting the ground, I did mine from scratch and I knew there were some mistakes from trying to line up all the sheets of the plans. I am going to do another one but am going to take the plans to staples and have them done on 1 sheet so I can get better alignment. I have built an ft flyer but have to wait on the electronics for it and will get some flying time on it while I am working on getting Old Fogey #2 done.
@tpplsn if you like to build do something like the ft flyer, if you don't then do something like the champ. these are cheap. Then if you decide that rc planes are for you you will have a good idea of where you want to go next.

Ron, I am using the same power pod in my Fogey, Spitfire, and Cub! when I mounted the motor I put a little down and right into it but only 3-5 degrees in each direction (basically a double thickness of business card under the top and left mounting screws, I'm using a 9X4.7 sf prop on the fogey, and take off with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, a smaller , lower pitch prop at lower rpm might not give you as much left bank, the Fogey has a high lift wing and doesn't take much, you can always try a hand launch as well, good luck!

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
NewZee I built a new pod and built in a couple of degrees down and right it is hard to tell but it is 2-3 degrees each while trying to check it with a protractor. If I keep having the problem after I get the fuselage straightened out then I am going to try the new pod.

NewZee

NewZee I built a new pod and built in a couple of degrees down and right it is hard to tell but it is 2-3 degrees each while trying to check it with a protractor. If I keep having the problem after I get the fuselage straightened out then I am going to try the new pod.

I think you'll be fine the Fogey is very forgiving, remember you won't need anything close to full throttle to get her in the air and keep her there!

NewZee

What was your first plane that you learned on? I want to get into the hobby and am wondering how other people got into it.

the first plane I flew was the spitfire and quickly decided I needed a high wing trainer, so I built the old fogey! its a good beginner plane