Old Thrift-store find - will it fly?

Hoomi

Master member
Some years back, I found an old Hobbyzone "Fighterbird" at a thrift store. It was in the original box, missing only the battery, for something like $20. I grabbed it, but never flew it. It sat in our storage shed for quite a while, until I dug it out a few months back, wondering if I could upgrade the electronics and make it compatible with my current Tx.

I decided that looked like more trouble than it was worth, but I recently ordered a pair of JST connectors, and made myself an adapter to hook up a 2S 800mAh LiPo in place of the original NiMH battery the plane used. The overly-simple controls still work, so for kicks and giggles, next time I head out to the flying field, I'm going to give it a try. Not sure how well it will work, but if it crashes, it's not like I'm out much.

For those unfamiliar with the model:

Piotrsko

Master member
Bought my son one of those, but different name. Flew great. Rudder only and throttle but 27mhz. Sittting in garage with spare parts for when I get some time........

quorneng

Master member
No reason why it should not fly. Do make sure the CofG is good as the LiPo will be quite a bit (50%?) lighter.
Not very different to my Artech Wing Dragon (9.6 V NiMh 480 brushed) and that is still flying (now brush less and LiPo) 10 years on!