• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

OMG, my anycopter works (so far)! Thanks for all the help!

tikaro

Junior Member
#1
Hi, Flite Test Forum!

Just a few short weeks ago, I was completely unaware of multirotors. I got TOTALLY hooked over the holidays, and realized that there's a very steep (but enjoyable) learning curve. I've never done RC before, so I had to start from "hey, what do all these switches on the transmitter do?" and "Expo? What's expo?"

The beginners' series has been REALLY helpful, and the Anycopter kit has been really fun. And I had to finally learn how to solder.

Last night, I finally got to "hello world" state when I hooked up a LiPoly, an ESC, a motor, and a servo tester for the very first time:


(I know I shouldn't have the prop on, but I did it for the video because I love the FWOOOSH)

I've always been a software hacker, but I've never really been solid with a soldering iron, and this was a great impetus to learn.

I have plenty, PLENTY more to learn -- thanks to all you guys for all the help, encouragement, and advice on the forum!
 

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding faceplant!
Mentor
#2
Welcome to the rabbit hole!

I think I see the Altitude kit on your copter. I use the same on two of mine.

Love the paint scheme. Hope to see you fly the maiden soon.
 

tikaro

Junior Member
#3
Thanks very much! It is indeed the Altitude kit.

Since you've used it -- do you have any recommendations for mounting the motor to the Anycopter motor mounts?

What I currently plan on doing is discarding the x-plate that came with the motor, getting some button-head M3 screws that are slightly longer than the ones that came with the kit (6MM?), and screwing the motor directly to the Anycopter mount.
 
Last edited:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding faceplant!
Mentor
#4
I use 5mm and I don't use the X-plate. 6mm are too long.

Use a dab of blue Loctite or every day you fly, test the screws and tighten any that need it. Also the Suppo motors use collets. Every day you fly, test for tightness or re-seat and re-tighten them. When you crash, re-test and re-tighten anything that needs it.

I tried zip tie schemes and X-plate schemes (with screws and zip ties). What I found is that the Suppos are light enough that they tend to not break the G-10 FT motor mounts. Adding additional complexities just added weight and lost reliability. Sucks when a zip tie breaks mid flight and your copter rattles itself to the ground.

The 5mm screws just work best on these kits. I have used them on a Knuckle H quad, AnyCopter and BatBone.
 

tikaro

Junior Member
#5
Wow, thanks for that! I feel like you just saved me weeks of trial and error: "Hey, my new 6MM screws came in the mail! ...damn."
 

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding faceplant!
Mentor
#6
You are welcome. I think that is the point of having a forum (thanks Kapper).

Reading and asking questions here has saved me years of expensive fence whizzings.