On Attaching wings...

pinpoint45

Pants Wearer
So I'm currently scratch building a 30in plane for streamer combat, i know FT's tendency is to use barbecue skewers when attaching wings with rubber bands, but the one i got from my old FT versa power pod seems kinda thin and flimsy. What have you guys used as strong alternatives? Popsicle sticks? chop sticks?1/4inch dowel rod? let me know what you think works best under stressful operation.

Cloulds

I'd like to use Ice-cream sticks,placing them on the top of wing or the bottom of wing to reinforcement it,which can work well to protect the
KT board from being damaged.I hope you can try this.

Cloulds

I'd like to use Ice-cream sticks,placing them on the top of wing or the bottom of wing to reinforcement it,which can work well to protect the
KT board from being damaged.I hope you can try this.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey pinpoint,

We've had several reports of larger FT wings folding at the wing root under strong maneuvers over the years -- for that matter the Storch wing could be crushed along the root my too many rubber bands -- but I can't recall a single failure of a skewer as a wing mount, and I've never seen it happen on any of my builds. Bamboo skewers are indeed a bit flimsy, but keep in mind you won't have more than 1/2" sticking out of the fuselage -- that short of a piece can be surprisingly strong. Any of the alternatives you mention will be stronger, but short of swapping it out for a Carbon fiber rod about the same size, it won't be lighter.

Scratch build planes always have a tradeoff between strength and weight. This isn't an inherently bad trade, but there's not a lot of benefit for the extra weight.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Craft Dan is correct on the skewers. You are more likely to rip the skewer through the FB than to have one break.

On larger models made from FB, like my Das Ugly Stick I use 3mm Bamboo skewers with wing edge protection provided by paddle pop sticks and skewer hole protection using either card or a scrap of thin plywood.