on board cameras

bracesport

Legendary member
Hi there fellow FT fans - I am a keen builder with a learners ticket in the air!

I would like to put a camera on my planes and get some footage, but I am a bit confused about onboard cameras vs FPV - my question is can you use a small FPV type camera and record the footage somehow rather than streaming the video etc?

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
yes, but you will need a receiver of some kind with a dvr. these can be bought pretty cheaply. you can go with a video screen or just buy a receiver you can plug into your tablet and record. most of the newer FPV goggles come with a dvr as well. if you plan on getting into fpv this may be the best route. get both for the price of one.

Video screen

Tablet Rx

good luck,

me :cool:

clolsonus

I've flown the runcam hd and the mobius. Both record pretty nice HD video. The best solution may depend if you want to just fly FPV, or just record HD video, or if you'd like to do both. If you just want to record high quality video, I'd say get something like a runcam hd, tape it on your airplane, and go fly the wings off!

bracesport

Legendary member
@ElectriSean - would you also recommend a simple camera to go with the RuncamDVR?

this bundle looks like good value!

Screen Shot 2019-03-27 at 12.19.14 PM.png

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
The Runcam Split Mini 2 is a similar price and will record 1080/60 as well as provide an FPV feed to a VTX with the bonus of swappable M12 lenses. It will run off battery voltage up to 20v as well.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Whatever you end up with, might I suggest you pay particular attention to the voltage it receives....

I “Have a friend” who fried one of those modules @ElectriSean mentioned. 🙄

Going with the fpv option might be a better option than say an SQ12 due to the fact, once you see footage from the air, your gonna want to try flying that way. 😉

w1lp33

There's also the option of Runcam Split, Runcam Split mini, Caddx Turtle, or the Turbowing Cyclops v3.... They're all fpv cams that also record hd footage, instead of simply recording the analog fpv output.

Personally I like the Cyclops V3... It's cheap, it's tiny, and it with a vtx and a 3d printed backpack, it makes for a very modular and portable fpv/hd system that can go from plane to plane.
IMG_0176.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
Great thread @bracesport! I tried a GoPro in the past but that made the plane hard to handle at least to me. I could also suggest something like what @Arcfyre is using a usbsitck motion camera which he strapes onto the wing of the plane with velcro strap.

kilroy07

Legendary member
One thing you might want is rudimentary osd (On Screen Display) one thing I missed seeing fpv was the battery voltage (I have a voltage module that reports battery voltage to the transmitter.)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
my question is can you use a small FPV type camera and record the footage somehow rather than streaming the video etc?
As others have said Yes you can, it is possible. But I would not recommend doing that.

Most FPV cameras output standard definition, 480p. For good quality recording you will want HD, at least 720p. The problem with HD, it has a delay, a latency, from what the camera sees & what you see on the screen. The really high price HD equipment is reducing the latency to an tolerable level.

You would be far better off getting a small action camera, that records HD, than try to build you own. Something like a Mobius or Firefly. I'll also add, don't use the output of an action camera to fly FPV, they have too much latency. It will work with ideal conditions, high up and no wind. Too much latency, if your plane is being knocked around by the wind.

bracesport

Legendary member
Wow, thanks for all the feedback!

I had a few amazon dollars so I grabbed a cyclops v3. I’ll need to have a hunt around the house for an SD card!

Very excited!

5640905B-2B8E-4906-BF86-4E89CBFFEB5D.jpeg

w1lp33

Wow, thanks for all the feedback!

I had a few amazon dollars so I grabbed a cyclops v3. I’ll need to have a hunt around the house for an SD card!

Very excited!

View attachment 127513

If you wanna do fpv with it, can I recommend this vtx?

Wolfwhoop Q7 Mini VTX Integrated OSD 5.8GHz 25/200/500mW Switchable FPV Transmitter with MMCX Antenna for Wheel Base 110mm 150mm Multicopter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076P49N97/?tag=lstir-20

It has a built in osd, so if you run it off battery voltage, and power your camera through the vtx, you'll have voltage osd, and filtered 5v power for your camera.

It needs 7v minimum voltage tho, so you deff need to run it off the battery or you'll get poor signal. I just made a male to female adapter with a lead coming off to the vtx that I can plug in between the battery and the esc to power mine. They way I can plug it into any of my planes easily.