One Down, One to Go

RoyBro

Mentor
Hey all,

I just had the cataract removed from my left eye. So far everything is looking good. I opted for distance vision so that I can get back in the air flying LOS. For the next couple of weeks, I will be bouncing between not wearing any glasses and wearing glasses with only one lens. It's going to be difficult. But I'll struggle through.

EyeShield.jpg

I am really looking forward to crashing some planes.

RB

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Wow, and I bet you can excel at foam smashing right now!

Congrats on the eye patch (bummer, you missed "talk like a pirate day" by less than a day!) and the better eye healing underneath!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Hey RB you look VERY similar to that guy in your avatar but his eye covers are cooler, your current cover looks more like a "Borg". :p

Thurmond

Last edited:

tramsgar

Too bad about your lens! Get well and don't let those trees get your birds. If they do, however, you could always blame that eye...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Good deal Roy! I've been thinking about lasik myself, as the peepers keep getting worse...But that's a big chunk of change that I just don't have....

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Sometimes on a quiet night I like to fly even though I have no lights on my plane. I rely on the sound of the spinning prop to let me know where it is. If the sound gets too quiet, I shut down the power and then activate an alarm I have installed on it so I can go find it. It's peaceful, yet a huge adrenaline rush to live so dangerously. Okay, I made all of that up.

RoyBro

Mentor
2nd day post-op and things aren't too bad. With the one lens glasses, I am able to drive a bit. My vision in the "new eye" is crystal clear compared to what it was. I can't wait to get the other eye done so I can really damage some planes.

RoyBro

Mentor
I just took my daughter to see Planes. The "new eye" made it the most enjoyable movie I've seen in a long time. And it was a fun flick besides. Josh or David should design an "Ishante" style pusher. It would probably make a good FPV plane.

RoyBro

Mentor
Good deal Roy! I've been thinking about lasik myself, as the peepers keep getting worse...But that's a big chunk of change that I just don't have....

Well that's what the cafeteria plan at work was for. Dumb name for it though. It's pays for the procedure and you pay it back pre-tax over the course of a year.
If you do have it done, be sure to keep copies of your eye records in case you need to have cataract surgeries. They are essential for the surgeon to choose the best lens implant.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Is it making any difference having a day or two since the procedure? Rude visual shocks from unexpected videos aside...

RoyBro

Mentor
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!

Is it making any difference having a day or two since the procedure? Rude visual shocks from unexpected videos aside...

Only in that during the first day my eye was covered by the shield. Now I only sleep with the shield. Having the shield off, I am learning to cope with the extreme vision difference between the two eyes. After removing the left lens from my glasses, I am able to drive. For close work, like reading, I need to wear reading glasses. Unfortunately, because each eye focuses at a different distance, some of the text seems to lift off the page like in a 3D movie.
But I'll only have to put up with coping for a couple of weeks.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Will the close up come back or will that always need glasses? I just turned 44 and I'm noticing my near vision is giving up. I was always nearsighted since childhood but now I can't focus inside of 8 or 9 inches. It hits me unexpectedly in little ways that I used to take for granted...

RoyBro

Mentor
I will always need magnification for reading and close up work. The surgeon gave me the choice of seeing near or far, or one of each. I chose far for riding motorcycle and flying planes. I may regret that decision, but I'll deal with it.
I was asked the same question when I had Lasik performed.
As we get older the elasticity of our eyes decreases, making close focusing more difficult. That doesn't come back.

Last edited:

Johan

Best recovery wishes from the Netherlands!

I had an 'eye-opener' experience getting my first pair of glasses.
I appear to have some uneven curvature in x/y axis and misaligned optical axis thing going on.

Not knowing what I'd missed before and experiencing true 3D vision again for the first time in decades with my correcting glasses I kept telling my wife how great everything looked over and over again until she made clear I'd mentioned it enough :)

I'll bet you'll crash less often once all is healed :)

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No flying this weekend, Roy? I guess I'd be reluctant too, with no depth perception...

It's been windy here. We have a front pushing through, but I took the Spitfire out today and the Versa yesterday. It's kind of fun just hovering in the wind with out going into high alpha...challenging to land though as it gets really bumpy down low. Landed the Spit once on the roof when I misjudged the height...but still fun!