One last flight before the storm

dengar256

Me and my boys enjoying one last flight before in the back yard the storm rolls in. The dark clouds were coming in and we could hear thunder in the distance but the boys begged me to fly when I got back from work. How could I saw no, it was for my kids :). If you look closely you can see my trainer wing is looking a little flat. I was trying to do some loops and spins with it and cracked the center glue joint. The spare held so I was able to get it down. Repaired it last night and it's ready to start my oldest son's training this weekend.

20160628_173428.jpg

jaybuff

Me and my boys enjoying one last flight before in the back yard the storm rolls in.

How old are your kids? I have twin five year olds and they are really interested in RC planes. I'm thinking about buying a tiny trainer kit (https://store.flitetest.com/tiny-trainer-get-started-package/) to fly with them. Would they be able to take the controls? I'm considering getting a second controller and using a buddy connector to let them fly it.

I'm worried they are still too young to enjoy this. Thoughts?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Never to young to start flight simulator training. If they play video games at all they will adapt to RC with a quickness. Then you can judge from that when they are ready to try buddy boxing.

dengar256

My boys are 8, 5, and 2. The 8 year old is getting most of the flight time but my 5 year old is starting. The biggest challenge is to teach them to not bang the sticks around. I have a buddy box but the Explorer is so slow I hand him the remote and try to talk him through any trouble he gets in to. We sit on the ground next to each other and if I have to take control there is lots of time. I say go for it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Rock on!! Its good they have a grasp of it at such an early age. Maybe they are potential pro pilots in waiting. Maybe show them the pinch method. That cured me of "Over corrections" (aka bangin on the sticks in a panic)

dengar256

not a bad idea teaching them the "pinch method" however that would mean me breaking my 20 year old thumb method :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Well I started with thumbs at age 10.. I'm fitty two now so if I can do it I'm sure you can too ;) Actually I was surprised how easy it was to change over. Just a few hours on the sim one evening before trying it in the field. Took about a week of flying before It felt totally natural like thumbs used to be.