One more Lidl stroll around the block

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
After two horrible failures last year at an RC Lidl glider conversion I will give it one more try.
This time I'm going for as lightweight as I can with the spare bits I have.
Electronics below and will add a 2 or 3S 850mAh battery. Bank and yank, two servos, 1806 2700kv motor, turning a 6045 prop,12A ESC and a tiny 4 channel frsky receiver.
IMG_20190527_095316818.jpg
Third time is the charm .... Apparently 😂😂😂

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Do you plan to use the motor to get up to glide altitude and then soar?

I ask because I don't see any ventilation for that ESC.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
The 6045 prop is just a bit over propped for the motor....was too hot in power tests. A 5030 prop is a bit under propped. Getting some 6030 props for it which should be in the goldilocks zone :)

Last edited:

Javiester

Elite member
Although I am not yet able to fly it, I bought one to keep it as it seems a bird too fast for my clumsiness and only goes on sale once a year on these dates
I will follow your progress and I will modify it little by little
please post CG data, weight ....
it would help
Thank you
luck

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Although I am not yet able to fly it, I bought one to keep it as it seems a bird too fast for my clumsiness and only goes on sale once a year on these dates
I will follow your progress and I will modify it little by little
please post CG data, weight ....
it would help
Thank you
luck
The CofG of the glider was 65mm from the leading edge of the wing root, I marked it on the body before starting any modifications.
Weight without the battery is 214 grams.
To balance with a zippy compact 850 3S means I had add 15 grams on the tail.
I may add a carbon rod to the fuselage from the rear of the wing to the tail feathers to add stiffness and that will probably mean I can remove the 15 grams of rear ballast.
IMG_20190528_205132506.jpg IMG_20190528_205245358.jpg

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
@CarolineTyler - this is awesome - makes me think the next step for my son might be to add some control surfaces (without the motor) to his foam chuck glider and see what happens!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
it has a 60cm wing so should be doable with some 5g servos!

View attachment 132358
If its a nice stable glider then the tail surfaces would be good to add servos to. Mark the CofG before you start modifications so you have a target to hit. If you put them towards the rear to balance the small battery, BEC and receiver you will need to put at the front. Hopefully you will not need to add any ballast hit that CofG.