online free stuff donations

truths

This is an idea I had when I saw how expensive it could be for an absolute beginner to get started. I don't know about others, but I have a cupboard full of stuff do do with RC. Some of it I will use, some of it I know I won't. It's limited space and a need to get organised that makes me wonder: "What if someone wants this old transmitter or old charger or motor I bought by accident." If they were really wanting this stuff and not just stockpiling, I would gladly give it to them. If I knew their motives were genuine I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to give stuff away. A lot of us have bought RTF planes and have upgraded to a better charger or a better transmitter. Also I think stuff gets ordered from hobbyking by mistake. I have a motor thats for EDF. I didn't know I couldn't fit a prop to it. Now it just sits in the cupboard and one day will just get chucked. I recently threw out an FM transmitter that was part of an RTF package and all I use now is dsm2 stuff. If enough people can get it together and decide to donate their stuff, people could have it and start flying. If you're interested in this idea, please chime in and present you're thoughts or just say you would support a venture to connect kids with RC stuff.

Thanks a lot for reading and I hope you'll post something just to share you thoughts. Many regards from Martin Wilson.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Martin,

Welcome to the forum!

There's a sub section under "For Sale and Wanted" called "Free Items", specifically for that purpose. It's not a very active section, but that depends more on folks being wiling than anything else.

As for determining "worthiness" of the recipient, I hate to say, but that's up to the giver -- I don't know of a way to assess why they need other than talking it out with them, or being referred by someone. Most people who would be referred are already connected to a local club and they usually lend a hand. The disconnected, a generous pilot could help the most, but they'd need to talk with them.

Last edited:

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
We gots aliens from outer space! Sorry, once again, my SAS got the better of me.
Martin, (as I'm sure Dan meant to call you ;) ) What Dan has suggested is probably the best way to clean up some of your odds and ends. Most of the people on this forum are not what I would call typical, at least not in the context of a normal online forum. Not nearly as many trolls or naysayers as you run into in most other sites. I think it has to do mostly with the principals that Flitetest were founded under and still adhere to, mainly the promotion of the hobby through the 3 E's as Chad has laid them out. By all means talk to the potential recipient of your goodies and decide for yourself, but given the demeanor of most of the people here, I doubt you'll have trouble finding worthy candidates.