Help! Only ten links?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I know right!

I found that out the other day as well. I cleaned up my signature and I had to delete a few off for it to save... Sucks A$$

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Oh no I'm at ten links I can either remove my shameless youtube plug to add more links to planes or stop designing planes altogether:unsure:...can't decide.

I'm curious if there is a way to add more.
@Craftydan, there you go. He has as many links to his designs as I would like to add for my builds. Both are only going to grow. What would maybe work is one external link, so we can plug our YT if we want. Why limit the internal links? Gimme them links! So many people doing so much. Let us at least share it! :)

B1QUAD

Oh no I'm at ten links I can either remove my shameless youtube plug to add more links to planes or stop designing planes altogether:unsure:...can't decide.

I'm curious if there is a way to add more.
You could always make a GitHub repository (github.com) and add a link in your description. Github has free data storage that was designed for the community version management of programming projects, and at the free tier you should be able to add almost unlimited numbers of pdf/svg plans.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
You could always make a GitHub repository (github.com) and add a link in your description. Github has free data storage that was designed for the community version management of programming projects, and at the free tier you should be able to add almost unlimited numbers of pdf/svg plans.
If I ever have need for "community version management of programming projects" I'll be sure to give you a call. I appreciate your one and only post. That's not really what we're talking about.

@BATTLEAXE? What? You liked that post? You've got to recognize a troll when you see one, bro. I wasn't even going to comment, until you threw the "like" at the troll. Then I felt like I had to step in.

You've got to read a little deeper, before you toss a "like." We don't feed the trolls. We report and let admin squash them.

You got suckered. You let yourself get suckered. You're better than that. :)

Corbarrad

How about you just make the "My builds" bit the link and have it lead to a thread or better yet an article giving a short description of all the the individual aircraft?
That will leave plenty of room for the youtube plug and maybe even a "newest" link.
Added bonus: You won't have to change your signature to keep up.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
How about you just make the "My builds" bit the link and have it lead to a thread or better yet an article giving a short description of all the the individual aircraft?
That will leave plenty of room for the youtube plug and maybe even a "newest" link.
Simply because all the builds I mention after "My Builds:" each has it's own build thread. I do a build thread for every aircraft. The list will only continue to grow. :)

Corbarrad

That's why I suggested you make a separate thread:
"My builds"
This build is a slow flyer. Build thread can be found here
This build is a speed flyer. Build thread over there
and so on.

An Article would look even nicer, but I know you can keep on adding to a thread, unsure about rticles...

B1QUAD

If I ever have need for "community version management of programming projects" I'll be sure to give you a call. I appreciate your one and only post. That's not really what we're talking about.

@BATTLEAXE? What? You liked that post? You've got to recognize a troll when you see one, bro. I wasn't even going to comment, until you threw the "like" at the troll. Then I felt like I had to step in.

You've got to read a little deeper, before you toss a "like." We don't feed the trolls. We report and let admin squash them.

You got suckered. You let yourself get suckered. You're better than that. :)
I only wanted to suggest GitHub because it is a free file sharing website that would allow you to put all your builds under one link. I made this account in order to post this because I am just now getting back into RC and I thought I might be able to help you out. If you still don't like the idea I'm sorry but I wanted to at least clear up what I was saying in the other post.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
That's what I thought of last night, I could make a plans index for all of my finished designs, and provide links to the planes I'm still building in my signature...

Corbarrad

I made this account in order to post this because I am just now getting back into RC and I thought I might be able to help you out. If you still don't like the idea I'm sorry but I wanted to at least clear up what I was saying in the other post.
Whatever The reason to become an active member (and you could do a lot worse than offering helpful advice), welcome to the community!

I'm still building in my signature...
I like my signature as is. I think it sums me up perfectly.
Of course, once I actually manage to finish a project I might want to show it off as well.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I went down the "my builds page" path a while back and find that it works great for me. Feel free to check it out for ideas. I mostly use it to help me find my thread on a plane when I need to make an update - don't know if anyone else looks at it - but I use it frequently!

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I only wanted to suggest GitHub because it is a free file sharing website that would allow you to put all your builds under one link. I made this account in order to post this because I am just now getting back into RC and I thought I might be able to help you out. If you still don't like the idea I'm sorry but I wanted to at least clear up what I was saying in the other post.
I thank you for clearing that up. It came across to me as classic spam. I hate spam. :) The apology is on my side for misunderstanding your intent.

Welcome to our Forum Family!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
ok, so my name was incanted, twice, and frankly, I don't think this is the reply you expect . . .

First off, @buzzbomb, I'm disappointed in you. A new poster who makes a valid suggestion that you don't like is *NOT* the definition of a troll.
Universally, we welcome the new guy, just like we welcomed you when you were new, not insult them and bully other members into un-liking them. If in time they turn out to be trolls or spammers, THEN we deal with them accordingly, but NOT before. GitHub is a MASSIVE and popular site of which I HIGHLY doubt B1QUAD is shilling for, and his suggestion was reasonable.

I personally believe an apology is due, but I will leave that to your conscience. I thought better of you -- seen better from you -- and I hope you'll do better going forward.

That set aside and dealt with, to your original question, I have to ask (rhetorically), how much is enough? Is there a point where it is too much? A point where signatures outweigh the messages?

I've seen plenty of forums without limits, and over time the older posters tend to have signatures that swamp the replies -- that clever one sentence reply is drowned out by the massive 15 line signature, complete with adds, links to all the social sites, 5 most popular threads, your favorite cat video site and three clever sayings sprinkled in.

I detest getting info on those sites. I doubt I'm alone.

When is enough enough?

How many planes have you built? How many more will you build? How many more years do you have ahead of you?

Let me be clear, my Mod-like powers are not infinite. I do not have control of this, but I do know those who do, and like any other member on this forum, I can reason my position for change.

My position on this: The current limitation is not too few. From seeing some signatures, the current limit may be too much.

I haven't seen more than one or two members abuse their sig blocks to the point of making their threads unreadable, but quite a few get closer than I care for. None have been so egregious I've felt the need to step in, so no point in making waves in an otherwise happy forum.

As others have pointed out, there is a good work-around -- creating an index thread and linking that in the sig. You should have PLENTY of links available to hit all your favored social media links, a few index threads, and a few current builds-in-progress, all without swamping the ACTUAL post you're writing.

That being said, if you want, you are free to ask for forum features on the FT support email. While I differ in opinion -- with reason -- My word is not law on this. I still recommend you explore the workaround -- it's not as unwieldy as you think.

Vimana89

Legendary member
I hit the text limit before the link limit but thought the same thing at first. Instinctual response goes "well dang, they should really give me more space because now that I'm really getting into the hobby I've got a lot of builds and stuff to share. If you stop to think a few "moves ahead in the chess game" so to speak, your logical side sees how that would be a huge mess for everyone to have a signature that's like paragraphs big full of links to various things like builds. Build Compendium/Index is the best idea possible. A line or two of flavor text, link the ol' tube, link to build compendium, and that sounds reasonable for a sig.