Oops, crashed into the ocean! (a fjord technically...)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got a little crazy last week and crashed into a Norwegian fjord! Fortunately I was testing a new GoPro at the time and ended up with some nice footage!

“DHC Turbo Beaver Saltwater Crash and Rescue”

Need to build an RC rescue boat I think 🤔 thoughts?
Something like this Swimming kickboard turned into a snow skimmer might work as a rescue boat. maybe scale it up with a boogie board.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Brah.. you chickened out mate. Even Canadian girls are tougher!!!!!!!

Just kiddin. I wouldn't be gettin in anything colder then dish water if I didnt have to either. Maybe if you plan to keep flying in weather and over water like that you should invest in a blow up raft for retrieval. Personally I don't fly any further then my gimpy self wants to or could walk.

Oh boy! You really thought to swim in that icy water?
Nice video, I enjoyed watching!

Well with the tide going out and the sun quickly setting I was hoping to channel my “inner polar bear club” but nope, not worth it. Thanks for the feedback! 👍

you chicken out? we wanted a swim :LOL::ROFLMAO: I understand you so well, its cold enough at land up there!
I actually went out a little further than shown in the video before I stopped, but I could feel my muscles cramping up and knew I wouldn’t make it back alive...
Who was I kidding? I don’t even swim here in the summertime. 😂

Something like this Swimming kickboard turned into a snow skimmer might work as a rescue boat. maybe scale it up with a boogie board.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Oh yea, that’s an interesting idea for sure. I’ll be experimenting this spring any maybe try something like that. Thanks!

Just kiddin. I wouldn't be gettin in anything colder then dish water if I didnt have to either. Maybe if you plan to keep flying in weather and over water like that you should invest in a blow up raft for retrieval. Personally I don't fly any further then my gimpy self wants to or could walk.

When it comes to cold water, I have no doubt that Canadian girls are tougher than me. 😅

I do think I could have made it out there, it was the getting back that concerned me... I also underestimated the distance.

I’m searching for a used kayak or canoe now; it would be fun to have here around anyway.

leaded50

Legendary member
up in northeast Norway, in a town called Vardo, they had many times new records in many peoples icebathing... AT SUMMER!! Its recognized by Guiness Records, that the seawater is cold enough, even at summer.

Phin G

Elite member

Ha on the isle of white we do a every Christmas morning. I font know why but we all get a big cold after however we havent done it in 2 years since COVID-19 and we had to go to a funeral in new zeland. It is around 6^c or 20^F

up in northeast Norway, in a town called Vardo, they had many times new records in many peoples icebathing... AT SUMMER!! Its recognized by Guiness Records, that the seawater is cold enough, even at summer.

Last spring I had to rescue my Cessna from the water, it wasn’t too far out but still required a little swim... it was so cold I could barely breath!

Ha on the isle of white we do a every Christmas morning. I font know why but we all get a big cold after however we havent done it in 2 years since COVID-19 and we had to go to a funeral in new zeland. It is around 6^c or 20^F

Yea, Some people are just crazy. I go in cold water only when it becomes necessary. Haha

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I'm with you, I don't swim in cold weather unless absolutely neccissary. I would NEVER do it alone.
I have a couple Kayaks. Took a plunge into cold water and still had to paddle a few hours to get to where we were going. Was really wishing I had a dry suit for those hours of paddling in 2C temps. Had to paddle really hard to generate enough heat to keep going. Great trip, but absolutely miserable.
Map of our trip
https://www.strava.com/activities/461644635
My buddy caught my swim on his gopro

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

Phin G

Elite member
I'm with you, I don't swim in cold weather unless absolutely neccissary. I would NEVER do it alone.
I have a couple Kayaks. Took a plunge into cold water and still had to paddle a few hours to get to where we were going. Was really wishing I had a dry suit for those hours of paddling in 2C temps. Had to paddle really hard to generate enough heat to keep going. Great trip, but absolutely miserable.
Map of our trip

Cheers!
LitterBug
I remember doing kayaking at a place called bude. The school did a trip after our tests called Sats. I remember capsizing as the teacher told me to and I stuck my head in the leag hole and used the air bubble in there and i made my way back to them as a capsized kayak. :)

Edit: thank you litterBug for my 300th like ;)

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

Bah...my mom and grandmother used to do polar bear plunges all the time on Christmas and New Year’s Day!

Of course, they grew up in Hawaii...😂😂😂

Map of our trip

Cheers!
LitterBug
Wow, that looks like a blast. Did you capsize the boat? Or just feel like making a poor decision? 😂

Bah...my mom and grandmother used to do polar bear plunges all the time on Christmas and New Year’s Day!

Of course, they grew up in Hawaii...😂😂😂

Oh man, jealous; never been to Hawaii, but can not wait to make it there someday. Would love to make these RC videos from Hawaii!

Touché. I would love to live in a warm country instead of Plymouth Uk. Rain 10 days a week
I feel ya, we often get your UK weather up here, just weeks of wind and rain... “Rain 10 days a week” 😂 love that

Phin G

Elite member
Oh man, jealous; never been to Hawaii, but can not wait to make it there someday. Would love to make these RC videos from Hawaii!

I feel ya, we often get your UK weather up here, just weeks of wind and rain... “Rain 10 days a week” 😂 love that
Ha cheers, it was an old one my grandma used to say apart from 'it's raining cats and dogs'

p.s. I know, lame to ask... but if you guys enjoy the video(s), ‘Likes’ and ‘Subscribes’ on YouTube are greatly appreciated! The goal of the channel is to share my hobby experiences but with a certain video production and story telling style. i.e. not just flying a plane around in circles for 10 minutes. (Not that there’s anything wrong with that...) I spend a lot of time shooting and editing these videos, yup, it’s another fun hobby...

Topics: RC hobbies, cameras, motorcycles, reviews, how to’s, and general fun.

Tips and feedback are very welcome, and if you have a channel please share!

Cheers,
-Pete

Last edited:
That was a piloting error that caused the current to pull me into sticks on the right side. With no spray skirt, the boat rapidly filled with water causing me to swim....
Oh yea, I was in a similar situation once while boating down some little rapids, we got wedged in the rocks ... everything in the boat got washed out down the river. Haha