Open letter to Flitetest

Guy123

Hey Flitetest,

I was writing this letter in the 'contact us' field, but realised that actually, I wanted to make it an open letter, that other people could see and comment on.

First I want to apologise. When you first announced FT Extra, I sent a snotty e-mail in, I was rude and I'm sorry. I was concerned about FT Extra diverting valuable resources away from the main video product of Flitetest; the product that we're all hanging around for. As someone without loads of money, I also felt pressured and stressed about the concept of needing to subscribe to something to keep my love of what you guys do alive. I was wrong to be so inflammatory and rude, and I hope you can forgive me and anyone else who reacted so... 'colourfully' towards FT Extra.

I currently only subscribe $1 per month. Hardly a figure worth getting upset about, but as I said above I don't have money to lose. My Fiancée and I are saving for our wedding next year, and she'd put the kibosh on anything larger no doubt.

I was so happy when I heard the recent announcement regarding the changes to the FT Extra format, and the use of periscope recordings; which by the way, you guys are leveraging really well. I was also really pleased to hear you being accountable, as many other channels wouldn't. Admitting your mistakes and being honest means a lot to us that follow you and all I can say is thanks.

FliteTest helped me get into the hobby, well, 'helped' is an understatement. FliteTest 'enabled' my hobby. I had no idea and not enough money to simply start buying things and working it out and with no one in my group of friends that flies RC, I was stuck watching YouTube videos of other people having fun.
FliteTest gave me a hobby which now consumes me, thank you.

And so I realised recently, I don't want to stop subscribing. Living in the UK means I can't really afford to buy too many speed-build kits as the shipping is a nightmare - and last time I ordered one, I even had to pay an additional £17 after it arrived on surprise import tax, thanks HMRC!
But I want to keep my monthly subscription, not for 'special' content, or access past pay-walls, but as recognition for the fact you guys have really helped me out and given me more than just a few hours in-front of a screen.

So I end this letter with this: Please FliteTest, when you close down the FT Extra subscriptions, set-up a monthly optional donation stream. I want to continue to say thanks in my own personal way, for the good work you do for people you don't even know.

Thanks

Guy, from the United Kingdom.

Last edited:
Well said Guy, I for one agree. I am in Canada and the shipping is just prohibitive to order from the flattest store (although I have bought FT products from the Canadian distributor).

I at the moment feel that I have recieved far more value from FT than I have contributed. If it makes no sense to support the guys from the shop, I would happy throw some $$$ into the pot in the way of a donation.

Although with the strength of the Canadian dollar at the moment a few $$$ CDN won't go far.