Open request - plane to fly at FF15

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Ohhh I've always wanted to fly one of the 1400 FMS birds.. that would be awesome!

I put about 10 flights on it last year at flite fest and it did pretty well with their grass runway. I did have a few exciting take offs and one rough landing that required some work on the gear, but nothing too bad.

The field at Flite Fest is great... huge area and more runway than you will ever need. But it is a grass full scale runway. It isn't as manicured as our club fields and the grass was a bit long by RC standards last year. I think you'll want 2"+ wheels on anything you expect to ROG.

jayz 84

Posted a thousand or more times
I would totally drive if I had someone else to go with me. 37 hours drive each way.

You can make a longer trip and pick me up ahaha. Joking man.. i would totally join you if i lived on the side of the US tho

mrstamp80

Nic, I got that "experimental" v-2 J3 cub that I helped banditjack's with. You could destroy it, rebuild it, make your own changes, whatever you like. I would gladly ship it up to someone or somewhere near FF that could get it to you. I can't go to FF being in the middle of the summer that's my busiest time at work. I will make it to Joe Nall though. Let me know.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Nic,

I will have plenty of planes there as well. Always willing to share. I'll be driving in from Missouri with several prebuilt and ready to fly. Plus I hope to build a few while I am there.

bgfireguy92

Nic, I'm bringing quite a few planes (including some FPV stuff which has my bix3 with pan tilt) but I'll be working the flight line as a volunteer, so you're welcome to any of my stuff.

uLightMe

wow ... you guys are truly as awesome as Josh advertises on the show!

I'm coming to FF this year. Driving from Toronto, Ontario. about 600km / 372miles :) Bringing a couple of friends that are also starting up in the hobby to build some FT planes :)

Super stoked to meet you guys and hang out for the weekend ... somebody has to save me a camping/tent spot as I probably wont be able to make it till Thursday evening.

Not to completely derail this thread. Do you know if FT crew is planning to do a specific plane combat this year? like 2014 with the Bloody Wonders ONLY? I know you guys mentioned the Bloody Baron? Is that what I need to get building?? I'd like to be ready for something like that :)

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Not to completely derail this thread. Do you know if FT crew is planning to do a specific plane combat this year? like 2014 with the Bloody Wonders ONLY? I know you guys mentioned the Bloody Baron? Is that what I need to get building?? I'd like to be ready for something like that :)

From what I remember, there were two different combat events last year. The Bloody Wonder Combat was pitched by Craftydan and the FT crew let that happen/facilitated it. There was another big combat that was, I believe, any plane. I'm not sure if that was an FT Crew started event or another participant initiated event. Either way, they were both awesome. I hope there are more combat events during the Fest this year. Either specific planes with certain specs or just open to all, anything goes type of situations. They are all fun.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor

Last years Bloody Wonder only combat challenge was not an officially sanctioned FT event. Our own CraftyDan here on the forums put that together last year. There is a new thread that just started regarding doing that again this year:
[h=3]NAS-BWACC 2015?[/h]

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
In fairness, it was instigated by earthSciTeach . . . He's at the root of all sorts of trouble.

We were planning on simply pirate flying a line during a lull, but when Josh found out it became a "whatever you need from us" . . . so on the schedule it went . . . unofficially ;)

There were three combats last year, the NASBWACC, and two open combats -- one on Friday, one on Saturday.

Officially, only the open combat on Friday was scheduled, but after the epic success of the first combat (does anyone have a good pic of that big Carbon Cub plowing through that big Experimental Airlines plane?!? -- one more great memory from last year), they held another open combat on Saturday.

I have not seen a schedule (so this is in no way official), but I'd expect three open combats this year -- one each day -- and the NASBWACC.

Either way, bringing a rugged combat airframe or two would be a good idea ;)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, Depending on how the maiden goes, I'd be happy to pass the Tx on the Sikorsky build. It was a real thrill to fly the giant FT Flyer last year. I flew all the planes I brought but one last year and that was due to the insanely tall grass/pitted runway and radio issues for that plane. I really am hoping that this year we can get the grass cut shorter and the runway rolled.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
willsonman said:
I really am hoping that this year we can get the grass cut shorter and the runway rolled.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but does anyone know if there are plans to roll the field and cut it shorter?

Strix

...(does anyone have a good pic of that big Carbon Cub plowing through that big Experimental Airlines plane?!? -- one more great memory from last year)

attachment.php

Photo thread here:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?10871-Aerial-Combat-Photos

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor