OpenAero Meets Hawk Sky

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Here are a couple of pics of my mounting method for the Hobby King V2 Multi-rotor Controller flashed with the OpenAero firmware ( OpenAero_1_11_A_PWM_STD.hex ) to stabilize my Hawk Sky in the windy conditions I always have at my house.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1568554

HawkSkyHKV2OpenAero.JPG HSHKV2OAMounting.JPG

With the Turnigy Receiver mounted to the "roof" of the nose and the controller board mounted to the underside of the canopy it makes for a very clean install.

Thurmond

Tritium

Thanks, I pondered on it for several days. I LIKE clean looks. If you notice all the control surfaces are plugged into the reverse channels (2, 4, 6). Radio is reversed on all three as well. Now for a test flight. Wouldn't you know it. No wind for the first time in DAYS!

Thurmond

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Should be able to enable/disable the stabilization with a switch - but there are no more input channels.

Tritium

Channel 5 on the receiver is tied to the throttle input on the board for enable/disable of stabilization. I am using the "gear" switch on the Turnigy TGY 9X. Back is "disable", Forward is "enable".

Thurmond

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
So in the end how did the stabilization work out? Is it worth the $15 for a KKboard? It's cheaper and lighter than 3 hk gyros :)

Tritium

I think it works quite well as I was able to fly in 15mph winds without crashing but I am still tweaking it and a new version of the firmware that is better is due out very quickly*. Haven't been able to fly lately due to 35mph winds and 100 plus temps.

*Update: OpenAero V1.12 is now available so I will be re-flashing my board to it and we will see how well it works.

Thurmond

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Yeah, that's pretty cool. I have a FMA Copilot system, which is the infra red one for $50-ish on HK. The KK board is much, much cheaper!