OpenTx 2.2 - Changes & What’s New

RCdiy

RCdiy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCgTx82aoGI&feature=em-upload_owner
OpenTX 2.2.0 RC12 (N364)
http://www.open-tx.org/2017/03/13/opentx-2.2.0RC12

OpenTX 2.2 Sound Packs
Official sound packs are obtained from Companion > File > Download
There is now a version file that is checked to help determine that the firmware and sound pack match. No more wrong units due to mismatched firmware and sound files. Checks for the existence and content of opentx.sdcard.version in the root os the SD Card. You can still use your own files but make sure you have this file.

Additional sound packs posted.
https://github.com/RCdiy/OpenTxSounds/tree/master/2.2 Sound Packs
Generated using Mac voices.

OpenTX 2.2 will be out soon.
Check out this blog post and video to find out what has changed and what has been added.

http://rcdiy.ca/opentx-2-2-whats-new/

New

• Support for the FrSky Taranis X7 and Horus
  • Support for FrSky S6R receiver (configuration wizard on SD Card download)
  • Support for Team Black Sheep Crossfire telemetry and updated protocols
  • Support for the external DIY Multiprotocol Module
  • Sound pack incorrect version warning. No more incorrect sounds when our sound packs are used. Checks for the existence and content of opentx.sdcard.version in the root os the SD Card. You can still use your own files but make sure you have this file.
  • New DISPLAY screen to configure LCD display options
  • Reset Flight now also triggers all the same warnings (if any) as when radio is turned on
  • Added the option to use a system bye.wav to play on shutdown

Changes

• BMP folder renamed to IMAGES
  • Curve names shortened to 3 characters (was 6)
  • GVAR names shortened to 3 characters (was 6)
  • 64 Logical Switches (was 32)
  • Lua file names shortened to 6 character + .lua (was 8 + .lua)
  • tada.wave has been renamed to hello.wav

Companion

• New .otx file format
  • Radio Types for FrSky Taranis and Taranis Plus renamed to Taranis X9D and Taranis X9D+
  • General Settings replaced with a Radio settings button on the model browser window
  • MAC dfu-util is now part of the Companion install
  • Firmware build options “no timer 3” removed, timer 3 always included
  • KML export for Google Earth now always uses meters for the altitude
  • Chinese language support (Companion only)

Companion Simulator

• Redesigned windows
  • Reload Radio: Same as turning the radio off and then on
  • New option to keep momentary switch SH in the active position
  • Switch/know/slider positions are now saved per radio profile, and sticks are properly set up for the corresponding mode
  • configured in the radio general settings.
  • Improved support for smaller laptop screens
  • Switch/know/slider positions are now saved per radio profile, and sticks are properly set up for the corresponding mode configured in the radio general settings.
  • Improved support for smaller laptop screens

Horus

There are many new additions. Here are a few.

• Support for PNG and JPG image files, 192 x 114 pixels
  • Emergency shutdown by holding the power button for 10 seconds

Last edited:

RCdiy

RCdiy
updated
[*]Support for Team Black Sheep Crossfire telemetry and updated protocols
[*]Support for the external DIY Multiprotocol Module

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm usually really excited for new OpenTX versions, but the reduction in GVAR and Curve name length in this one has me scratching my head. It's odd to go backwards in functionality from something easier to use to something more difficult to use.

Any insight on why these changes were made?

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
I'm usually really excited for new OpenTX versions, but the reduction in GVAR and Curve name length in this one has me scratching my head. It's odd to go backwards in functionality from something easier to use to something more difficult to use.

Any insight on why these changes were made?

Anyone know if the new FrSky radio has a smaller LCD display? If so, perhaps it is a screen space issue?

Mike

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yes, the X7 does look smaller in the pictures. I have one in the care of UPS somewhere in the middle US right now, and can confirm soon.

I'm sort of suspecting there was a technical reason or trade-off that triggered the change to shorter names, but it's going to make it difficult to remember what GVAR EL2 is for in the future, rather than "EleRt2" which is still a squeeze for "Elevator Rates Mode 2" that I'd like to enter.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Anyone know if the new FrSky radio has a smaller LCD display? If so, perhaps it is a screen space issue?

Mike

The Q-X7 screen is about the same resolution as the 9X so about half the X9D/X9D+. The screen displays are a bit more cryptic but I don't think that is the reason for the shortened names

I think the change is just a general attempt to save model memory so they can add things like 32 additional logical switches. The model memory budget is tight...They probably figured that most people just use CV1 and GV1 etc and don't give their Curves and GVars names.

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
The Q-X7 screen is about the same resolution as the 9X so about half the X9D/X9D+. The screen displays are a bit more cryptic but I don't think that is the reason for the shortened names

I think the change is just a general attempt to save model memory so they can add things like 64 additional logical switches. The model memory budget is tight...They probably figured that most people just use CV1 and GV1 etc and don't give their Curves and GVars names.

If that is the trade off they were forced to make to fit the firmware into the chip, then I'm glad they made this decision. More logical switches is more useful than the extra characters. :)