opinions about DX9

T-Reu

Hey there,

I know this is kind of a lame request, but I would really like to know your opinions about Spektrum's DX9 transmitter. Do you think it's free switch assignment capabilities bring it closer to systems like the Aurora or 9X(R)? How robust do you think is DSMX compared to, say, Futaba's protocol?

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I just met another pilot that just got his and he loves it! The gimbals are really smooth and he says it makes the planes feel better when flying. So for build quality, he gives it a thumbs up and really loves the voice prompts on switch changes. As for the lockouts that have been a Spektrum bane, he says he's never had a lockout or any issues while flying. He hasn't had it that long, has been flying the DX8 for years with the same result.
YMMV

T-Reu

Ah, that's good to know. I have a DX8 and no troubles so far. Just wondering how useful exactly all those new features are...

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
It was cool once you set it up. Every switch he moved had an announcement as to what changed, high rates, low rates, flap position, etc. But it programs just like the rest of the Spektrums. I have to take his word for it, I don't own any...

MrClean

I've got a Dx8 and I really like it, I would imagine the 9 would be more of the same. But I have a Taranis and MAN is that a fun radio. Feels like my 8103 in my hands, has the FrSky ACCsT system working on it so thats a plus. And you can pretty much assign any function to anything along it's 16 channels AND you plug it into your computer and store planes and configurations you don't have to swap a memory card to do it.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I plan on getting a Taranis eventually if they ever get back in stock! Pretty much same features with more channels and much lower pricetag...

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I just purchased this radio and I had the DX6i and what a radio the DX9 is!!! 250 model internal memory plus it comes with an SD card that will handle more models than I will ever need! (Like I will ever own 250 planes!!!) :cool:
It does take a little longer to set up a model than the DX6i, but you have so much more control over each channel, what they do - like travel and such. You can set it up for voice on just about every function, no voice, tone, vibrate, or combinations of each.
I have not had a chance to fly with it just yet, but the way it feels as compared to the 6i, it should be a winner. Gimbals are really smooth, nice travel, it just feels right.
I know a lot of people have had issues with the "brown outs. lockouts" or whatever you want to call them, but all of these issues have been with the DSM2 I believe. I have had my DX6i for a little over 3 years and never had one issue. thankfully I am upgrading all of my rx's with the DSMX and those from my understanding they have not had issues at all.
I guess until I have an issue I will continue to use Spektrum as they are affordable and quality seems to be much better than the lower cost radios, plus customer service to dream about. Once I fly with it I will post my thoughts of the radio at the field.

I am very happy so far!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Okay, so finally got to fly with the new DX9 today.

Pros:
The radio feels great in my hands, but very light. ( Something I am sure I will get used to.)
Gimbals are very smooth.
Really like the amount of memory, more than enough for what planes I have. Shouldn't ever need to have another radio.
D/R and expo are very easy to set up, and you can even set up three different flight modes.
Like the voice telling me everything I am doing without looking at the radio.
I could see the screen better in the sun as opposed to the DX6i, and the screen is backlit as well
So many functions, set up each channel however you want.

Cons:
The only real con I have so far is the amount of time it takes to set everything up. Not that it is not something I could do while the weather is bad or at night, but I usually do some of the stuff at the field, and I am impatient and want to fly when I get to the field.
Because of all of the features of this radio, the manual is quite large and will take a lot of reading to figure everything out. (Not sure if this is a real con, but I - like most men, would rather hack around and do everything first and read the manual after I can't do what I need/would like to up front.

I know there are people that do not like the Spektrum stuff, but I really like it and I am sure as I use it more it will be as easy as my DX6i to set up like I want.

I give this radio 2 thumbs up, and I am sure it will last me years.

RickC

I have been flying with the DX9 for a while now. I moved up from the DX7 and there is a huge difference I did not know or hear about, the DX9 programs like the DX18 not the DX7 or 8. I found this confusing at first but once you get into it I find it a much better radio. I really like the audio especially the telemetry, the switch selection is great. I really like being able to program the throttle cut switch to say " Throttle Cut " I know it may sound silly but I find it helps me remember to use it.

I can add more if anyone wants to hear.

RickC

DougK

Hey I am really new to the scene and I am going to start working on a quad copter from Flite Test.. I am trying to decide between then new DX6 and the DX9.. will I need the extra channels with a quadcopter? I plan on probably adding a camera with a good mount once I learn to actually fly it first.

I also plan on picking up some planes as well.. not until I get back from this deployment but sometime soon!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Doug

Edit: I of course only want to buy once so I would rather not get one and have to upgrade but if the DX6 will work then I could spend the extra money in better places!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Doug,

For simply flying an FPV quad, 6 channels will give you your basic controls and two auxiliery switches . . . usually used to change flight modes. For most people, 5 channels on a quad are enough, 6 is overkill.

If you *wanted* to do FPV with 2-axis head tracking on the camera or gimbal (most people don't -- it's a bit of a cadillac option -- but it's not outside the relm of doable), then you'll run out of channels far too quickly. If you wanted to simply fly a fixed mounted camera (you can move the airframe to look left/right/up/down, after all) or only have control over one axis, 6 is plenty.

In the end, it's all about what you want to do. For most everything out there the DX6 is enough, but you can outgrow it . . . how quickly depends on what you want to do.

crash bandicoot

Doug, you will not need 9 channels for a quad copter. I have the DX6 and enjoy it. I has most of the same features as the DX9. If I am correct, the DX9 comes with a rechargable battery, but the DX6 comes with AAs. I would reccomend finding some rechargable AA batteries, as I have been waiting for a LiPo battery from value hobby for over two months without any hope if them coming back in stock. If I were you, I would buy a Spektrum DX6, and then use some of the extra money to buy a PNF Nano QX. They are great mini quads and take a crash better than a full size quad.

Mike,
I used to have all sorts of fun radio issues with my Orange Rx Transmitter Module in my turnigy 9XR. I actually loved the 9xr. But after losing 1 radian, one FT Bloody Wonder, I started to think about getting a DX6. What finally convinced me is that my radio started to have a delay on my UMX Icon A5 and my Nano QX. So then I bought the DX6. I don't think I will ever go back.
PS, I have not worked much on the dambuster idea, I'm getting married in 10 days, but all of the wedding planes are done and look fantastic.

Hey I am really new to the scene and I am going to start working on a quad copter from Flite Test.. I am trying to decide between then new DX6 and the DX9.. will I need the extra channels with a quadcopter? I plan on probably adding a camera with a good mount once I learn to actually fly it first.

I also plan on picking up some planes as well.. not until I get back from this deployment but sometime soon!

Thanks for the thoughts!

Doug

Edit: I of course only want to buy once so I would rather not get one and have to upgrade but if the DX6 will work then I could spend the extra money in better places!

DougK

I am thinking since I am in no rush.. stuck for 6 more months.. that I will just save the extra little bit and get the DX9..

The more the merrier!

Blackbeltrrf

I have been using the DX9 since it was released and I love it! I was using the DX7s and that is a great TX as well. I like the backlit screen on the 9 and the voice prompts though sometimes annoying while setting up are a great help in the field. If the voice prompts get on your nerves at times you can always simply plug a dead plug into the headphones and give yourself some quiet time if there are a lot of people on the line or just use earbuds all the time if you wish. Overall this has been a solid TX for me so far. I really like the looks of the new "Black" as well.

SOOFLY

This is a bit off topic, but I've been flying with the old DX7 for a few years now and have really liked it. My dad was wanting to start flying with me so I've been looking for a second T(x) so that I can start buddy boxing him. I was just about to buy a DX6i for $100 and then I came across a used DX8 on RCgroups for $167 shipped. It only comes with T(x), battery, charger and SD card, but I'm really excited about getting an upgraded remote. Also, Lemon just released a telemetry R(X) that looks to be very promising.

Last edited:

Papo_60

DX9 Throttle Cut Problem.

i decided to upgrade from my DX7 to the DX9 and am really happy with this new radio but I am having a problem getting the Throttle Cut voice to work! I went in and assigned Throttle Cut to switch "H". I then went in to assign voice commands (Throttle Cut On and Throttle cut Off) to the "H" switch.. The Throttle Cut function works but there are no voice commands given. I do get a single beep when switching to Throttle cut but no voice.

I have programmed other functions like flaps, timer and servo setup to other switches and they all work correctly. I had programmed the timer function to the other two position switch A and, like I said, it worked fine. So I then switched the two (A & H) and the timer function, now on switch "H" works. But the Throttle Cut, now on switch A, again works but no voice commands are given.

Any idea what might be the problem?? Any help on this would be much appreciated!! Thanks