Opinions on Radiomaster tx16s.

Bricks

Master member
g
My experiance is that people who like OpenTx find that to be a feature, not a bug (which you seem to see it as).

I wrote my first program in elementary school (I was at a K-2nd school) on an apple IIc (or roughly that), because of that, I find OpenTX to be massively more intuitive then the menus on the spektrums, I have inputs, mixes, outputs and the ability to change stuff to behave the way I want and don't have to fight with the limited options that the people who made the spektrum radio think I might want.

You should be good to go with OTx when I was in school a computer took up a whole wall just to do simple mathematics and used punch cards it was the only interface,. To get it to feed the punch cards you had a sequence of small lighted buttons you had to push and had to keep changing out the reel to reel data tapes. I am just lucky they have made PC`s and lap tops easier to use and I still struggle with them when things go arye.

Bricks

Master member
What you are talking about is not throttle cut. That is ARMING. Try to keep the terms straight. And NO, my spektrum does NOT do throttle cut the way you describe. Nor does my spektrum allow me to cut multiple channels.

Sorry but that is what I call it throttle cut am sorry but my DX9 has a throttle cut setup and all I have to do is assign a switch and will not activate unless throttle stick is at -100 when the switch is set to the on position that I choose. If you look in the functions list it is right there THROTTLE CUT assign any switch and it will not arm until the throttle stick is at -100

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Sorry but that is what I call it throttle cut am sorry but my DX9 has a throttle cut setup and all I have to do is assign a switch and will not activate unless throttle stick is at -100 when the switch is set to the on position that I choose. If you look in the functions list it is right there THROTTLE CUT assign any switch and it will not arm until the throttle stick is at -100
Well, that is not how throttle cut has worked on ANY of the spektrum radios I have had. It merely sets the throtle channel to a pre-determined throttle position when you flip whichever switch you select. It does not check for throttle low before the throttle will work when switching it off, and I find no refrence to that functionality in the manuals either.
Screenshot_2021-10-08-20-42-06-097.jpeg

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You should be good to go with OTx when I was in school a computer took up a whole wall just to do simple mathematics and used punch cards it was the only interface,. To get it to feed the punch cards you had a sequence of small lighted buttons you had to push and had to keep changing out the reel to reel data tapes. I am just lucky they have made PC`s and lap tops easier to use and I still struggle with them when things go arye.
LOL, I had to build my own, program my own, expand my own. There were no PCs, just singleboard and prototype boards. When upgrading from 1K to 4K of memory, I didn't know how I would ever use it all. Most 8 bit CPUs only ran at 1Mhz clock frequency. 6502, z80, 8080, 6809, etc.

Paper punch tape, punch cards, etc were a luxury

Bricks

Master member
Well, that is not how throttle cut has worked on ANY of the spektrum radios I have had. It merely sets the throtle channel to a pre-determined throttle position when you flip whichever switch you select. It does not check for throttle low before the throttle will work when switching it off, and I find no refrence to that functionality in the manuals either.
View attachment 209328

I have to give a big apology just did some double checking and you are 100% correct, I have never had the motor start up when activating my throttle on. I must subconsciously always check the throttle stick first as to why my motor never starts up when activating the switch, that is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, now I will always double check my throttle stick position, sheeeessss now I will be more conscious of it.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have to give a big apology just did some double checking and you are 100% correct, I have never had the motor start up when activating my throttle on. I must subconsciously always check the throttle stick first as to why my motor never starts up when activating the switch, that is the only thing I can think of.

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, now I will always double check my throttle stick position, sheeeessss now I will be more conscious of it.

Yeah, I get it. I've had a few assumptions bite me in the past. Hopefully we can all learn a bit from each other in all of this.

tomlogan1

Elite member
I started the hobby in 2012 with helicopters and Devo radios. I installed Devention on them and especially loved my Devo 10 with devention on it. I could do anything I wanted with it and being the techy-type that I am, all my configuration was done in vim on my laptop. I used this radio exclusively with DSMX receivers (my Blade 450x, CFX180, quads, etc)

Then around 2017 my USB port on my Devo 10 went south and I got FOMO and thought I should get the "real transmitter". I picked up a used DX9. It took some getting used to. It was definitely larger than my Devo 10 and programming was really different. Some things are super simple on the DX9, like Flaps. Select an option and you've got flaps enabled and they automatically have the delay set. Other things like setting up the panic signal for my SpiritRX are still a bit wonky and I need to refer back to notes to repeat the process.

I got into fixed wing, and everything was fine until I experienced a hold or two with my LemonRX receivers. I then experienced FOMO again and thought I should get the "real receiver". I purchased a couple of AR630s. Man, forward programming is awesome with these things. Everything was fine again. But then I experienced a hold on my Marlin with an AR630 in it. Then a couple weeks later at a different field, I experienced it again. I quickly realized that without a Windows computer, updating these receivers was impossible. I also realized that Spektrum has abandoned the cheaper sport receiver market *with antennas*

So know I'm wondering if I should make the jump to something like a TX16. My main worry about moving to something non-spektrum has been that my DX9 has a diversity antenna and I thought that would give me better range. Now I'm not so sure. The other issue is that I definitely feel a quality difference between my Devo 10 and my DX9.

For planes like my Arrows Marlin, I'm not even sure AS3X is needed. It would be nice to be able to get a branded receiver for a decent price instead of paying $75 ~ $100 for a receiver that has extra functionality that I don't need.

It would also be nice to get back to a radio where I can do the programming via a text editor instead of a scroll wheel and a button. I hate setting up model names in the DX9 :)

If you can live with 10 channels or less, FlySky is an absolutely rock solid receiver. No AS3X or any other type of assistance in the receiver but they have great range and in two years of using FlySky I have never had a brown out or any receiver based issue.