Opinions on the "4 sheet no waste 80" flying wing" and series?

evranch

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/four-sheet-no-waste-flying-wing

So I built my first flying wing over the last couple days with my daughter, the Spear. I finally see why people like wings, it really bucks the wind and is very easy to fly. Possibly the gentlest flyer I've ever tried, even more than the trainers I learned on. And it's cool only needing 2 servos!

The only thing is, as my research seems to agree - the Spear is draggy with its fat, blunt midsection and it barrels out its aileron rolls something fierce due to the elevon design. I'm immediately thinking to build a larger, higher performance wing now.

This 4 sheet wing looks a lot sleeker and it also has a fuselage underneath for clean storage of the electronics and FPV equipment. I honestly love the shape of the vertical stabs. It might even fit the bill for the new mapping plane I wanted to build with that 80" wingspan and only 3lbs RTF...

Anyone built these wings? My main concern is that with 80" of span and only 4 sheets of foam into it, including the spars, the wings could fold up under higher loadings. I had 4 sheets into the Spear and it's nowhere near 80", and the wastage wasn't really all that much.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/four-sheet-no-waste-flying-wing

So I built my first flying wing over the last couple days with my daughter, the Spear. I finally see why people like wings, it really bucks the wind and is very easy to fly. Possibly the gentlest flyer I've ever tried, even more than the trainers I learned on. And it's cool only needing 2 servos!

The only thing is, as my research seems to agree - the Spear is draggy with its fat, blunt midsection and it barrels out its aileron rolls something fierce due to the elevon design. I'm immediately thinking to build a larger, higher performance wing now.

This 4 sheet wing looks a lot sleeker and it also has a fuselage underneath for clean storage of the electronics and FPV equipment. I honestly love the shape of the vertical stabs. It might even fit the bill for the new mapping plane I wanted to build with that 80" wingspan and only 3lbs RTF...

Anyone built these wings? My main concern is that with 80" of span and only 4 sheets of foam into it, including the spars, the wings could fold up under higher loadings. I had 4 sheets into the Spear and it's nowhere near 80", and the wastage wasn't really all that much.
I've looked that one over quite hard. I will be following this, as I want to know as well.

evranch

It looks like a fairly easy build so I think I'll just put one together and see! LHS is out of 11gr servos but I'm not sure if 9gr will swing those big elevons. Even 11gr seem a little small to me so I'll build the airframe and then order something reasonable.

I'm also planning to prop this up from specced power pack C, I have a spare motor on the bench that will swing an 11x6 on 3s and there is lots of room to go big on power and balance it with a larger battery up front.

Maybe a wooden spar will be in order as well. I'll do a build thread when I get going on it.

miraspen

I've always steered away from this one cause the plans aren't like flitetest but you know what maybe i should give it a try. @evranch how about 4 9 gram servos with flaperons???? sounds cool to me i havent seen a wing yet with flap i dont think.

evranch

how about 4 9 gram servos with flaperons????

Flaperons technically refers to applying an elevon type mix to ailerons to get them to act as flaps with only the two servos. But I see what you're getting at and I like the idea. I think it can be taken further than just flaps, even.

Split the elevons into an inboard and outboard surface and mix them with a crow flaps kind of concept. This could give me yaw control by putting one or the other wing into crow configuration and dragging it. This mix could go on the rudder stick.

Now I have to think of how to do this with a 4ch receiver and still have throttle control. It feels like it should be possible. Or maybe I have a 6ch or 8ch RX in the drawer?