Opportunity to purchase a lot of gas-powered rc planes and accessories

earthsciteach

I have ABSOLUTELY NO experience with gas powered RC airplanes. But, I have an opportunity to purchase 15-20 built aircraft of various sizes and states of repair along with a hobby shop's worth of hardware and accessories.

If the price is right, along with the other teacher who runs our RC Build Club at school will take the plunge. Any advice/thoughts? I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to these engines.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
The motors would make an interesting class study in themselves. They're internal combustion, but work with a glow plug. You have to use an external power source to heat the glow plug. Then you need to spin the motor over to create the pressure needed to compress the gasses, and with luck, you'll have a running motor.

There's a few steps left out, like proper priming, tuning of the idle needles, and such. I can get one running, and it might last the flight, but not often... thank goodness for electric! :D

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I can get one running, and it might last the flight, but not often... thank goodness for electric! :D
Indeed...I've seen guys at my club fiddle with their fuel engines all afternoon and not even get to fly. That is the nice thing about fuel though, once tuned it's fly, land, fuel, repeat.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Batteries are cheap enough. I have stocked up to the point that I can fly until I can't fly no more, and in the mean time, I have the chargers going.

earthsciteach

We are in "negotiations" for the price. Since the money is coming out of my and the other teacher's pockets, with the intent of using what we don't need to sell and offset the cost for students, we are hoping that we can get the stuff for no more than $300. We have a bit of a gap to bridge, yet.

earthsciteach

Negotiations have fallen apart. Looks like it is a no go. We are interested in what most people would consider trash. The daughter of the owner, who passed away, has 10 new gas engines that she has been told are worth $500. We don't want those, and offered to help her sell them while giving her $200 for the old, flood damaged planes and parts.

Still hoping she calls us back when she realizes the stuff we want isn't going to bring in the money she wants. Of course, it is her right to ask whatever she wants. I hope she gets it, because her father was obviously a guy who took his hobbies very seriously!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Batteries are cheap enough. I have stocked up to the point that I can fly until I can't fly no more, and in the mean time, I have the chargers going.
True...I have a enough 2s, 3s, and 4s lipos to fly all day but the large electric birds that fly on 10s or 12s lipos...that's a different story...a pair of 5s 5000mah will run you $100 even from HK and you'll get like 10min flight if your lucky, there's $200 for a couple flights.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Negotiations have fallen apart. Looks like it is a no go. We are interested in what most people would consider trash. The daughter of the owner, who passed away, has 10 new gas engines that she has been told are worth $500. We don't want those, and offered to help her sell them while giving her $200 for the old, flood damaged planes and parts.

Still hoping she calls us back when she realizes the stuff we want isn't going to bring in the money she wants. Of course, it is her right to ask whatever she wants. I hope she gets it, because her father was obviously a guy who took his hobbies very seriously!

Let her try selling them. If she has your contact info, I have a feeling you'll get a call.

brick

i like lipos alot better than nihm they are alot lighter and i was really exited when they came out.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor

Are you talking gas or nitro engines? Gas is really popular right now because it's so much cheaper to operate than nitro. I'd be interested to hear what she's got. I bet if they're in good shape you could get some decent money for it on craigslist. 50 bucks an engine for ten engines is 500 bucks. You may even be able to pay for the stuff you want.