Optimized RCExplorer Tricopter Template

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

..::
Optimized RCExplorer Tricopter Template ::..

An optimized tricopter template based on the design by RCExplorer.se

tricopter3d-header-title.jpg

Hi guys!

After some talking over at Shadow74's tricopter thread, we came to the conclusion that the original RCExplorer template could be a bit better. So I started to design a new template based on the RCExplorer design, and after several hours this design was born.These were the improvements made:

- 120º between booms
- CG point at axis intersection
- KKboard centered over CG point
- all screws more than 8 mm from edge of plate
- design still foldable- all screws 3mm
- minimal changes to profile, still looks sexy

Five days later, ananas1301 said he tried out the modified design and it worked out nicely, it could even be used as a T-copter instead of the normal Y-configuration. That inspired me to make this modified design more user-friendly, so that more people could enjoy the benefits of the new design.

- Frame can now be used as a T-copter
- Power cables can now be run inside the frame
- Boom pivot further out from CG

NOTICE: The original design belongs to RCExplorer.se . As the new template is completely based on his design, i cannot claim ownership of it. The new design still belongs to RCExplorer.se . I will only shamelessly claim credit for the improvements made to the design, while staring in amazement at the guy who brought multicopters to the masses.

Original Design by RCExplorer
Modifications, CAD, and graphics by colorex
Beta testing by ananas1301

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

Version Log​

Version 1.0

- 120º between booms
- CG point at axis intersection
- KKboard centered over CG point
- all screws more than 8 mm from edge of plate
- design still foldable- all screws 3mm
- minimal changes to profile, still looks sexy
- Frame can now be used as a T-copter
- Power cables can now be run inside the frame
- Boom pivot further out from CG

Version 1.1

- Fixed switched titles on page 1

Version 1.2

- Added modifications so you can use 9 mm, 10 mm, or 12 mm booms.
- Added the optimized RCExplorer.se "coffin" design. Only available for 10 mm booms.
- Added the Battery and Camera plate.
- DWG and DXF files available for download. These are for use in CNC/Laser Machines.
- Files now hosted on http://www.undcon.com/colorex

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
PICTURES

tricopter-render-clear-top.jpg

Here you can see how the arms pivot on the outer screw. - AutoCAD 2012 render.

IMAG0056.jpg

Closeup - voipmonkey

y-mode.jpg

Y-mode - voipmonkey

t-mode.jpg

T-mode - voipmonkey

r_IMG_1883.jpg

Cutouts - colorex

r_IMG_1894.jpg

Frame - colorex

IMG_0224.jpg

Laser Cut plate with an awesome logo - KoekieMonster​

Last edited:

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Hey colorex! I just got an awesome idea!

How about designing a special piece of wood that would allows you to use the Tricopter as a T-Copter. That woodpiece would be inserted into the frame so that the two arms wouldn´t be able to move any more. Is that innavitve?! I think that would be a cool option for all those guys out there which only want to cut out one frame because they are too lazy to build a new one.
Btw: I gotta give you my special thanks for mentioning me :)

Also at the moment it is very windy, cloudy and rainy in Germany. I´ll get some flying results as soon as I get flying agian.

EDIT: ohhh god! I started testing my idea but unfortunately I forgot that my cables which run through the frame now, took the possibilty of just sliding in a piece of wood... At least I know for now that it doesn´t work unless you run your cables in one spiecific way. I´ll try to demonstrate that on a picture that will be coming soon :D

Last edited:

ananas1301

This is what I mean. The left one shows how my cables are going.
The right one shows how they could go as well.

If you place your battery so that the cables are looking back you could make the right one work with both the T-Copter and the Y-Copter.

Unbenannt.png

EDIT again! I just realised a fatal error on my right picture: The 4 wires coming fron the front two motors all shoud go under the screw not above. Otherwise you couldn´t fold out the arms to touch the screw, they´d touch the wires which we don´t want.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
There is another solution for that problem, you drill holes into which you can just push in screws to keep it where you want. Otherwise it's just better to tighten the frame enough so the arms just sit there, that way they can give way a bit in a crash.

I'm currently working on hiding as many cables as possible :)

voipmonkey

This is what I mean. The left one shows how my cables are going.
The right one shows how they could go as well.

If you place your battery so that the cables are looking back you could make the right one work with both the T-Copter and the Y-Copter.

View attachment 2936

EDIT again! I just realised a fatal error on my right picture: The 4 wires coming fron the front two motors all shoud go under the screw not above. Otherwise you couldn´t fold out the arms to touch the screw, they´d touch the wires which we don´t want.

Is the T a Y and the Y a T :)

voipmonkey

Like this guys I have just cut one of these out today after me not liking my last result. Will post some pics when I get it together . Been a cold day in my uk workshop :( keep up the good work

Bilbobaker

Nice work.
I prefer the coffin design with a few lightening holes drilled in it.

The KK board is protected better with it.

I just cut a hollow foam block to protect it from the top.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I had plans on making a canopy thing, but the only way to
Do
That was the coffin-body. Obviously it's much stronger, but it's not as sexy :p

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Not that I know of, but if you find someone that will, I'll give you the CAD for it. Just ask.

ananas1301

colorex: we should open up a business, then we´ll become rich within 24hours and then buy everything that Hobbyking sells....

... TWICE :D

voipmonkey

Hi Guys
I have been playing over the weekend and this is what I have come up with.

Standard Y Configuration

IMAG0052.jpg

T Configuration

IMAG0063.jpg

so much better than the version i had previously. lets just hope i can get it in the air :S and keep it there.

IMAG0055.jpg

the plans are good i think some way of protecting the kk board would be good though.