Orange 433Mhz 'LRS' module

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hobbyking have flagged a new OrangeRx module running 433Mhz for long range FPV. I was almost a little excited, but here are the big drawbacks:

1. Antenna position - same as the DSM module, which is awful. I'm a pincher and naturally hold the tx more upright, but I still have to think about the angle of the antenna because it's so extreme. They should have fixed this.

2. Single antenna on the rx. I can see this not being much of a problem for the first couple of miles...

3. 100mW only. EZuhf is 600mW coupled with the highest sensitivity rx on the market. RMILEC is 0.9-2.5W.

Really, I can't see this giving much range improvement (if any) over a 72Mhz system, which is legal in pretty much all countries without the need for a HAM licence.

Sorry Hobbyking, I have serious doubts on this one. Happy to be proved wrong though...

robschonk

Being a licensed ham, N4JKL, I could take the output, boost the power, and run it into an external antenna. With the 9XR, or even a 9X, might make a decent systerm.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
I really guess its going to depend on the range in comparison to the price. For me I'll be going down the route of RMILEC.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Well I already spoke with Santa and said all I need is the GoPro Hero3 Black, Storm OSD and RMILEC :) . . I had better be a really good boy :)

Carbon

Elemental Madness
NNNNOOOO BMSWEB! Don't do the Rmilec! It just spatters all over the UHF bands, which is illegal.
Also, 100mw power output for this orange system seems a bit weak..

bmsweb

Site Moderator
NNNNOOOO BMSWEB! Don't do the Rmilec! It just spatters all over the UHF bands, which is illegal.
Also, 100mw power output for this orange system seems a bit weak..

You know it spatters because you have first hand experience? Also if not RMILEC then what do you recommend?

Carbon

Elemental Madness
No first hand experience, but that's what Alex(IBcrazy) said last time I talked with him. Rangelink is the best I can see for the price. That's what I'll be going with in the future.

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Interesting, thanks for the info. I know Jason has been using RMILEC for a few months now and its been rock solid even on a flight out to 25klms, I know his Chainlink Dare was pure rubbish! I wonder what Alex is basing his opinion on. I've only ever seen fantastic feedback on RMILEC

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Thanks for the link, you've really got me thinking now :confused: I know jason has been using it for about 3 months or so, and touch wood all is good. In any case I'm still a while away from needing UHF as I'm still at the design and testing phase of my new wing. Once that's locked in then I'll re-visit UHF . . Thanks again for the link, I'll have to do a little more investigation :)

Carbon

Elemental Madness
yup, 72mhz is good for me..for now. Sadly winter has arrived and flying is next to impossible. I haven't been on the sticks for 3 weeks! :(

Nonamerc

Arman
EZuhf is the way to go but it's not cheap. Don't buy systems with allot of mW the sensitivity is the most important thing! From all the UHF systems EZuhf has the best sensitivity in dbi. Also EZuhf has selectable channels which are usefull when you use a gopro on your plane because they create RF noise arround 433 MHz you can select an other channel like 435-437MHz to avoid that. This will only give noticable effect when you are going for those really long distances ;)

bmsweb

Site Moderator
yup, 72mhz is good for me..for now. Sadly winter has arrived and flying is next to impossible. I haven't been on the sticks for 3 weeks! :(

Well sad about winter arriving for you guys our summer is only 2 days away for us. Mind you just tried to turn on the Ducted Cooling yesterday and unfortunately no power to it :mad: Hoping to get lots of flying in :)

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Well I'm in Washington state. It is no Hurricane Sandy but we get about 1.5 inches of rain every day. Not to mention the fact that it is 35 degrees most of the time.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Oh we'd love that!
All we get is wind wind and more wind.
I was flying in 35mph winds on Sunday.
No one else at the field would fly, but I had a Fat Pig of a Plane that could take it...Until a bad receiver took it!:(
It was more or less intact, but it took me an hour to dodge the Cows to find it!
Foam.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Well, they came on sale last night. $29.99 for the module, $19.99 for the rx. Given the price point, I couldn't resist.

This is a clear copy of the OpenLRS - HK are pretty shameless about it. It comes with default firmware with 3 channel hopping, but can be programmed using Arduino to do pretty much whatever you want. You can get power boosters for them too (not from HK (yet)).

I'll report my experience with it. I think if you missed out over the last 12 hours they'll be gone by now.