Orange DSM2/DSMX module

Truescale

Well, brownout, lockout...whatever it's called it had a problem I can only describe as something like the receiver would turn off and then back on and no input from my tx would work for about 2 seconds. The reason it seemed to me to be a lockout or brownout or whatever is because on the ground I would turn on my TX first then when I would turn on the rx in the plane it would take about 2 seconds for them to link up together. I sent that OrangeRX back to HK and they found it to be faulty and gave me store credit. Here's a neat video from NightFlyyer showing how horrible the range is compared to actual Spektrum stuff. With Orange, there seems to be no quality control or consistency in their product.

But yes, you are correct that many people have reported problems with Spektrum gear. I've never had any issues whatsoever, maybe I've been lucky.

Just a thought !! The orange recievers only has one arial . It is only good for recieving either horizontal or vertical polirised signals. Depending on how you mount it. The real macoy has two arials for horisontal and vertical. If you add a satelite reciever to the orange receiver you might as well buy the real thing. I have lost 3 planes with the orange recievers. Since I have swiched I have had no brownouts at all.

Regards

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've been using the standard Flysky receivers for ages, which only have one antenna. I've never had an issue with the signal to as far as I can see (a few hundred metres) and only issues with harmonics with a 900Mhz vtx at 600m (FPV) (I now use FrSky gear for FPV). The OrangeRx is supposed to be for parkflying. According to pretty stringent MAAA testing these are 'accredited' to 300m. I say horses for courses - if you want the best and most reliable go FrSky or FAAST, but for muck around parkflying with cheap foamies I'm fairly confident this system will do the job.

I have actually had less issue with the orange over spektrum dsm2. It doesn't seem to brown out as easy. With any 2.4 system receiver and antenna placement is very important. Because the wave is so small it is easily blocked. That's why most full range receivers have two antennas. It creates diversity. I have seen people use the little orange to fly large planes with big motors, batteries etc, and end up having problems. It will also happen if you cram it in tight with an esc and battery. The bottom line is the signal can't be blocked. The satellites work very will and I use them when I want a full range set up. Never had a problem when using a satellite. I have a orange module on order. It should be here in a couple of days. My primary interest was the ability to have the dsmx protocol. I only have a Spektrum dsm2 module and like the size of the new AR400(and the price). Just want to be able to take full advantage of them.
Jay

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Well, the module and three receivers arrived today. The module plugged straight in to my 9x v2 (that came with a module) just like the FrSky module does. I'm not excited about the antenna position, which is coming from the bottom of the module.

I plugged a rx into my Parkjet, followed the Chinglish instructions to bind it, and it worked fine. So on the ground, it seems to work OK.

I set up my Parkjet and powered it up. Unfortunately one of my servos (HXT900) seems to be stalling, so I won't be trying it out on that... Anyhow, all good so far! Looks the goods for parkflying.

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
UPDATE:

OK, very interesting... My EPP Pitts has been out of action for a while, and I thought I'd put an ESC and OrangeRX on there to get it going again. I plugged it all in, bound it up, and lo and behold the elevator servo is all twitchy and stalling! Thinking it was a coincidence that this servo was acting up, I changed it around for a brand new one. Same issue! I moved the servo from channel 2 to channel 5, and it works perfectly...

So what's up with channel 2??? I checked the rx in the Parkjet, and same there... Servo in channel 2 was the 'dodgy' one.

I very much doubt it's anything to do with the module, so I'll see if I can try it out on some of glydr's rxs. Anyone else having this issue?

UPDATE: I just posted the problem on HK's discussion page for the product and someone else has the same issue. It's the module. DO NOT BUY!!!

Last edited:

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
At this stage it's 1/6 crap. The other channels are fine. I'll still test it this weekend, but on a model I don't care about and avoiding ch2. Let's see if HK come good...

MrClean

I'm sorry, you got three receivers and one module. You had problem with a channel on a receiver and swapped receivers or just moved things around on the same receiver? I would have tried one of the other two receivers to see if channel 2 had a problem there as well which would be strange as the module just modulates the signal to output frequency and doesn't do anything to the individual channels so one channel bad all bad from the module. But I can see a plug or circuitry on a receiver being bad.

The Only problem I've had with the receivers is they go unbound from time to time. I just rebind and fly. Did it today on my Snowball which I haven't flown in a month.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I've tried all three receivers with the same result. I also moved the same servo around the channels on a receiver and the rest are fine.

A couple of other people who bought the module have reported the same issue with channel 2. I'm sure many more will pop up over the next couple of days, as I was one of the first to buy one after it was released and it's only just been delivered to me. I've put in a support request and will make a video of the issue.

MrClean

Well that IS freaky, I thought I had just mis-understood you. The module is screwing with one channel. My understanding was that the module only places the digital signal stream onto a 2.4 Ghz carrier.

Hmmmmmmmmmm,,, I'd have to look at the circuit design AND beings how I'm 20 years out of school whence last I did that sorta thing, I probably wouldn't make heads nor tails out of it. Why I spent 2 years learning electronics to go and play swap till I drop for 20 years I don't know. Sure seems like a non use of educational funds.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I think Hobbyking have pulled their remaining stock to investigate the issue. I'm curious to see what happens for those (like me) that bought one of the original batch and have the 'channel 2' fault.

The biggest question is if the same manufacturer supplied the module for the 9xR, which is due for release at any moment... It's highly likely that they did.

MrClean

Makes me happy that I started with the Spektrum 8 and will be adding the FrSky module to it instead of the 8103 with the FrSky module and swap out for the Specktrum. Honestly though I bought the Spektrum because my newest 8103 was the first digital trim one we had in the area.

Time to upgrade.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
HK have said they're working on a solution and implied it might be applied to those who've already received units.

CS responded to me asking me to make a video and link discussions taking place on the issue.

@KKArioKA, they didn't cancel the module from your order?

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
they didnt ... but i was fast enough to put the order ON HOLD .... when they are releasing the solution ?? should i wait for it and assume (dangerous) they will change it on my order or should i let the order be dispatched and fix when it arrives ?

im really not sure if they will change the "reserved" module from my order for the fixed version ....

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
they're not sending out any more units until it's fixed. I wish their cs was as competent as their exec... There's not enough Anthony, Ben, Byron and Scott to go around in that company...

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
For those that have a module, apparently a work around (not a fix) is to set the frame rate below 20Ms. This is only possible if you can set your frame rate, for example with an ER9x flashed tx.

It seems like the issue is one of firmware. I don't understand how it only occurs on channel 2, and I'm not sure what this will do for the tx performance in general...

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
they're not sending out any more units until it's fixed. I wish their cs was as competent as their exec... There's not enough Anthony, Ben, Byron and Scott to go around in that company...
That's part of the problem.
Another big part of the problem is that the Customer Service department is bound by corporate policy.
The Customer Service personnel do not seem to be empowered to make any decisions. They seem to always have to "check with management" or with another department... (mini rant over)