Orange DSM2/DSMX module

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Hobbyking have just released the OrangeRx module:

24656.jpg

I've got two 9x transmitters - one with the standard module, bound to about a dozen receivers. Given my investment in these receivers, I'm not in a hurry to replace that system. The other 9x I've put a FrSky telemetry system in, which is used for FPV. I'm thinking this module would be great for my second tx, where I can plug and play with either $6 OrangeRx receivers or the $25 FrSky ones I like for FPV!

Here's a buddy code for those wanting one. A whopping $13.80 discount: http://www.hobbyking.com/buddy.asp?code=85432D36-397B-49D9-8985-792FCBE74718

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
I love me some cheap stuff from HobbyKing but I kept getting lockouts or brownouts or something with the first OrangeRX receiver I used. Before I realized what was happening, it ended up costing me a plane. I don't know if I'd even risk a cheap foamie when you can get FrSky rx's for $18 or less.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Does this mean it will bind with the Spektrum compatible airplanes, such as the HZ Champ or Ultra-micros?

Yep. Shame they disabled the buddy code. Glydr uses the Orange receivers almost exclusively, and besides having an interesting glitch last Sunday doesn't seem to have too many issues aside from his tx battery...

earthsciteach

Thanks, Lobster. If ya want to answer the same question under "discussions" on HK, I'll give you credit for it.

Now, I have to decide if I want to replace my stock 9x module with this one or FrSky. FrSky has a great reputation for reliability, but can't bind with the BNF planes. This one is untested but can bind with the BNF planes and has less expensive RX's.

Opinions, anyone?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I'd say both. I wouldn't even think of using DSM2 for FPV, but it's great for parkfliers because the receivers are so cheap. If you've got a model you want to be double triple sure or FPV (you've had a dabble in that, haven't you?), use an FrSky. Both modules are plug and play so you can swap them out as needed.

The biggest downside for me is not being able to give glydr crap about DSM2 anymore...

earthsciteach

I'm sure you can come up with something new to give glider crap about. ;)

Both sounds good. But, I think I'll go with the FrSky first.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
seems like a waste of money to me. I've lost 2 planes to Spektrum, I'm sticking with my FRsky module. I really love how it binds instantly unlike Spektrum.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The reason I reckon this will work well is that the receivers and module are made by FrSky. FrSky ACCST is definitely a surefire system.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
well I'm confused, is it DSM2 or DSMX? Because if they offered DSMX receivers and the module in DSMX then I would be willing to get it. DSM2 is really terrible though.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
what is the module? It says DSMX/DSM2. Does that mean it does either one depending on receiver?

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
You got in one. It's compatible with both, depending on the receiver.

I have to say that it's a shame that they disabled the buddy code on this (although it was a little generous...) I'd have expected them to walk off the shelf, but it seems they've only sold half of what came in yesterday. I know $30 is still a 'reasonable' price, but these would have been sold out in minutes if it was about $5 less.

Last edited:

tramsgar

This is great, actually. Thought the DSMX stuff wasn't happening because of some patent Spektrum held. But the really interesting stuff will (?) be the receivers, at least for me, as DSMX receivers are great but too expensive.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
seems like a waste of money to me. I've lost 2 planes to Spektrum, I'm sticking with my FRsky module. I really love how it binds instantly unlike Spektrum.
A lot of people have reported problems with Spektrum equipment. I've been using a DSM2 DX6i and I had a DSM2 DX8 for about a year. No problem with either one until I started using OrangeRX stuff. That's when I lost a plane and I knew it was a problem with the RX b/c none of my Spektrum branded RX's had that problem (brown outs).

The ONLY thing I would consider that for is binding to one of the ParkZone type ultra micro planes or something of the sort that uses the Spektrum ultra micro receiver. For anything else...NOPE. If you have a bunch of Spektrum receivers laying around that you want to use then consider getting this instead, it might just save your plane over an Orange DSMX "compatible" module.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/dsm2-airmod-with-ar7010-jr-compatible-SPMMSJR720

SPMMSJR720-450.jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Many people report the opposite of what you're saying, that the Spektrum gear has had issues (DSM2), while the Orange gear was fine. I'd be very surprised if you got a brownout from the Orange gear, as it works down to 3V. Also, that module and rx combo is $109 on the Horizon website, and it's DSM2.

I'm going to test the waters with the Orange gear. I'll still use my FlySky system for 90% of my planes and see how we go.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Well, brownout, lockout...whatever it's called it had a problem I can only describe as something like the receiver would turn off and then back on and no input from my tx would work for about 2 seconds. The reason it seemed to me to be a lockout or brownout or whatever is because on the ground I would turn on my TX first then when I would turn on the rx in the plane it would take about 2 seconds for them to link up together. I sent that OrangeRX back to HK and they found it to be faulty and gave me store credit. Here's a neat video from NightFlyyer showing how horrible the range is compared to actual Spektrum stuff. With Orange, there seems to be no quality control or consistency in their product.

But yes, you are correct that many people have reported problems with Spektrum gear. I've never had any issues whatsoever, maybe I've been lucky.