OrangeRX openlrs assistance needed

Camerart

Well, going to a simpler firmware is possible...but is in some ways a bit more complex as you won't be able to use the nice GUI tool to do it. So it's not really something I'd recommend doing unless you're fairly experienced.

So it sounds like you're able to flash the firmware successfully at this point? And you're using a 3.3v FTDI cable to do so (if you've been using a 5v cable you probably fried your RF unit on the board which could explain not being able to bind.)

You have to hook both the TX and then the RX up with the cable to flash them - but once you've flashed them the RX is setup over RF with only the TX physically connected to the computer. In your case you'd have to flash the version designed for using a RX as a TX for your "tx" module.

As for binding I found it a little confusing but by default the RX goes into bind without a bind plug or anything so it's not that difficult...just the instructions on binding are a bit confusing due to the extra stuff openLRS can support. But it's mostly like any other setup where you hold down the bind button while turning on your TX then when it beeps you let go - then power up the RX which will go into bind mode and they should link as long as they're both running the same version of the firmware.

I don't know what a GUI tool is, but I use Aduino to flash them. I use 3.3, but if all fails, then it is possible I used 5V, which answers the question!

Did you mean to say "with only the TX physically connected to your computer"?

I think they are binding ok, with the same version of the firmware with relevant part commented out. On the TX I'm talking about there is no bind button, 'A link across signal to GND on CH3 is used instead.

So it look as though I used 5V in the past sometime:(

Thanks Camerart.

Camerart

Hi,

I got one of the larger Orangerx modules (They fit into transmitters) to act as TX and one of the smaller modules (Photo shown earlier) as RX) I don't know what this says about the health of them?

C

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
The GUI tool runs in Chrome and makes flashing to the latest openLRSng firmware super easy - as well as configuring it. I've never tried configuring manually through the serial interface and haven't tried flashing it from Arduino since openLRSng doesn't really encourage using arduino anymore.

Which may be the issue. I had forgotten to re-specify that I'm using openLRSng firmware, I haven't looked at any other alternatives. Are you using ng (http://openlrsng.org/) or another firmware? ng is all I'm really equipped to try and help with I'm afraid.

But yes - with openLRSng you do have to connect both the RX and TX modules to the computer to flash them. But to configure their settings/options only the TX gets connected to the computer - the RX settings are changed over RF by the TX module.

And if you used a 5v serial adapter ("FTDI") then your probably smoked your RF module. That's a limitation of the hardware no matter which firmware you're using. You always have to use a 3.3v programmer on these. If you did use a 5v programmer all is not lost. The RF unit is an integrated module that can be replaced and replacements can be found on ebay for around $5. Even if you're not up for replacing it yourself you can probably sell it to someone who is up for replacing it and get at least some of your money back.

Camerart

The GUI tool runs in Chrome and makes flashing to the latest openLRSng firmware super easy - as well as configuring it. I've never tried configuring manually through the serial interface and haven't tried flashing it from Arduino since openLRSng doesn't really encourage using arduino anymore.

Which may be the issue. I had forgotten to re-specify that I'm using openLRSng firmware, I haven't looked at any other alternatives. Are you using ng (http://openlrsng.org/) or another firmware? ng is all I'm really equipped to try and help with I'm afraid.

But yes - with openLRSng you do have to connect both the RX and TX modules to the computer to flash them. But to configure their settings/options only the TX gets connected to the computer - the RX settings are changed over RF by the TX module.

And if you used a 5v serial adapter ("FTDI") then your probably smoked your RF module. That's a limitation of the hardware no matter which firmware you're using. You always have to use a 3.3v programmer on these. If you did use a 5v programmer all is not lost. The RF unit is an integrated module that can be replaced and replacements can be found on ebay for around $5. Even if you're not up for replacing it yourself you can probably sell it to someone who is up for replacing it and get at least some of your money back.

Hi jhitesma,

I have a GUI, but forgot I had it. I tried each of the two modules in it, one opened and the other showed 'module locked' which appears to indicate a fault, so I've ordered new ones.

See what happens, C

vk2dxn

I run the orangeRX openLRS with openlrsng and they are great. I can confirm that the stock antennas are not resonant on 433mhz as tested on my antenna analyzer. You really need to make or purchase antennas to get these to perform.
I run a half wave dipole on the RX and Marconi antenna on the TX. The only dramas I have found with this gear is no output filtering of the TX (after market Low pass filter needed) and the 1w TX needs the 6v mod to the PA. Other than this it is a good piece of gear

Camerart

I run the orangeRX openLRS with openlrsng and they are great. I can confirm that the stock antennas are not resonant on 433mhz as tested on my antenna analyzer. You really need to make or purchase antennas to get these to perform.
I run a half wave dipole on the RX and Marconi antenna on the TX. The only dramas I have found with this gear is no output filtering of the TX (after market Low pass filter needed) and the 1w TX needs the 6v mod to the PA. Other than this it is a good piece of gear

Hi vk2dxn,

I'm in the UK, so once I have some result I'll change to 459MHz.

C.

Ocean

Got this working in around 1 hour, was very easy with the configurator. Only issue is that my Taranis speaker is making a coilwhile sound when the TX is on (1w version). I presume this is because of the high transmitting power, will this cause any issues in the long run?

Also, anyone have any good antenna mounting solutions? Tempted to just hot glue the antenna to the module.

Camerart

Hi,

Well done, let's know how you get on with your antenna mounting.

Cheers, Camerart.

Last edited: