Ornithopters (Airhogs FireWing)

Swanno

Flite Test regularly features Air Hogs products although designed more for younger audiences a few of their products are appealing to older audiences.

After watching the most recent Flite Test videos I came across the Air Hogs Firewing. It looks like it flies pretty well. It is rather small coming in around the size of a small indoor helicopter.

Does anyone have one, are they worth the $50? Would you instead recommend something bigger?

I was going to stick to my foam planes but this seems like a cool little RC toy.

(I don't know if this belongs here it seemed like the most appropriate place.)

jamboree1

I do have one, it works ok but needs a lot of room to manuever. It's a spectacle toy not for serious flying but it's a hoot to watch

Swanno

I wasn't particularly looking for something serious to fly since I've already got a few foam planes, sounds like something fun to try though. For $50 I think I will try one out. So many things I want to try out!

jamboree1

I had to cycle the battery on this thing about 4-5 times before i got decent flight times out of it, 3-5 minutes is the norm. It needs to be flown like a 2 channel plane using those techniques. I also use my own battery charger, I cut off the leads from the charging port in the remote control and spliced it to a 1s wall charger.

Swanno

Thanks for the suggestion on the wall charger. I never thought of splicing one of those onto a wall charger, but it makes sense since I've found those little chargers from the remotes don’t supply a very high voltage and never do good job charging the battery. I have a 12 volt 1-6 cell Lipo balance charger which allows JST and an array of other connectors. I ended up making my own XT60 attachment which I charge all my larger batteries with. All I would have to do is set the charger to 1 cell and the charge rate at 0.1 amps or something.

The rubber band one looks pretty cool and thanks for that parody song, I enjoyed it.

tyoho

bump control

One thing I found is that I got better results using multiple taps on the control to turn.
Mine loses a lot of height in the turns if I just hold the stick all the way through.

Last edited:

jamboree1

One thing I found is that I got better results using multiple taps on the control to turn.
Mine loses a lot of height in the turns if I just hold the stick all the way through.

That is correct, and is pretty much true for every 2 channel plane out there. I have 5 different 2 channel planes and they all behave this way.