OSD Help

jamieFL

I need help choosing an OSD module. I have been shopping on eBay and found many MinumOSD choices. I suspect that they are not all the same. I don't even know if the Minum is my best choice. I am also looking to save on weight if possible and I'm building on a budget.

I am building a V-Tail that will be controlled by a Naze32 funfly and a Frsky D4R-II. I have a Sony DPC-540A camera and a 5.8 Ghz Boscam 500mw video transmitter.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I run a minium from RTFQ on my MultiWii quad. MultiWii and Naze32 use the same communications protocol so the same setup will work with either.

The big problem with minim is there are multiple firmware versions and the documentation on them is spotty and confusing.

I'm currently running the "KV Team" firmware: https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/

But...the developer had a hissy fit when someone forked the same code he did and came up with an improved version (http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4865) so he closed his source and quit updating. I've been meaning to try the new MWOSD firmware but haven't gotten around to it. KV was rather confusing to get setup because the documentation wasn't updated to the latest version (2.2 I haven't and won't try 2.3 since he isn't releasing the source for it and the only way I was able to get some things on 2.2 to configure correctly was by tweaking the source.)

That said, once I got KVTeam 2.2 working it has "just worked" for me other than I can't get the callsign display to work and the developer basically responded to my questions with "I don't use that feature anymore so you're on your own". The biggest problem I ran into setting it up is that using a 3.3v FTDI adapter will appear to work and the board will talk to the config program - but none of the settings will actually save, it has to be powered by 5v or it can't write to it's eeprom it turns out.

It is nice however being able to use the OSD and stick commands to change the PID's and Rate's on my quad while in my goggles - if the quad is a bit too twitchy I just land, do a few stick twiddles and boom, I've got my rates a bit lower.

I also run my GPS through my MW board so the Minim just gets GPS data over MSP from the MW board - I haven't experimented with hooking the GPS right to the OSD...though I'm thinking about doing that on the BN Versa I'm building since I'm using an arduino pro mini on there so I can't connect the GPS to the FC.

DDSFlyer

I run a minium from RTFQ on my MultiWii quad. MultiWii and Naze32 use the same communications protocol so the same setup will work with either.

The big problem with minim is there are multiple firmware versions and the documentation on them is spotty and confusing.

I'm currently running the "KV Team" firmware: https://code.google.com/p/rush-osd-development/

But...the developer had a hissy fit when someone forked the same code he did and came up with an improved version (http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4865) so he closed his source and quit updating. I've been meaning to try the new MWOSD firmware but haven't gotten around to it. KV was rather confusing to get setup because the documentation wasn't updated to the latest version (2.2 I haven't and won't try 2.3 since he isn't releasing the source for it and the only way I was able to get some things on 2.2 to configure correctly was by tweaking the source.)

That said, once I got KVTeam 2.2 working it has "just worked" for me other than I can't get the callsign display to work and the developer basically responded to my questions with "I don't use that feature anymore so you're on your own". The biggest problem I ran into setting it up is that using a 3.3v FTDI adapter will appear to work and the board will talk to the config program - but none of the settings will actually save, it has to be powered by 5v or it can't write to it's eeprom it turns out.

It is nice however being able to use the OSD and stick commands to change the PID's and Rate's on my quad while in my goggles - if the quad is a bit too twitchy I just land, do a few stick twiddles and boom, I've got my rates a bit lower.

I also run my GPS through my MW board so the Minim just gets GPS data over MSP from the MW board - I haven't experimented with hooking the GPS right to the OSD...though I'm thinking about doing that on the BN Versa I'm building since I'm using an arduino pro mini on there so I can't connect the GPS to the FC.

WOW, I can't believe how much of that went over my head... So much to learn in this hobby

pretenderzx10

Can not remove disarmed from screen.

I have kv team osd installed on strider flex. Naza32. When I am ready to (TRY) fly the words disarmed will not get off of my screen. Help!! Kv 2.2

SteevyT

I'm using the MWOSD on a Minum OSD with WhiteSpy's modification. Works pretty well and having a GUI to set it up was really nice. Trying to get it connected the first time is a pain though.

joshuabardwell

Mentor
You might want to have a look at OSDoge. It stacks on top of Naze32, so no wiring fuss and neat install. It has 5v and 12v regulated power. I haven't used the product, but it looks like a nice product.