other bits and bobs?

zev

lumpy member
I am going to build a nutball, I have all the electronics (tx/rx esc motor etc…) in my cart at hobbyking, but as for other bits, I have piano wire and control horns. any other bits I need to do the build?

thanks!

zev

lumpy member
bicyclemonkey: wait, the electronics don't come with connectors? also, what exactly needs to be soldered?
colorex: yup and yup.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You'll have to solder connectors on the ESC most likely. The motor will probably come with the bullet connectors already soldered in place (although I have seen some that don't). The motor will probably come with the matching female bullet connectors for the ESC but you'll have to solder those. Which means you'll need:

Heat shrink tubing.

earthsciteach

Most esc's require the battery connectors to be soldered on. This is because there are so many types of connectors available. What type of connector does your battery come with?

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
bicyclemonkey: wait, the electronics don't come with connectors? also, what exactly needs to be soldered?
colorex: yup and yup.

You'll need:

Motor connectors - Male/Female
Battery connectors - Male
Heatshrink of the right size.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Batt. connectors and the esc to motor connectors.
Get XT-60's from hobbypartz, or hobbyking for the Batt., and get 3.5 MM bullet connectors from your LHS or hobbyking for the motor to esc.

zev

lumpy member
I have this speed control, this battery, and this motor. my battery has a JST-XH connector, so since the ESC seems to have no plugs attached, would this do the trick for the battry-to-ESC connection?

and now the ESC-to-motor. I don't think my motor has plugs ether, so would this work?

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Welcome to RC, Zev! Its not nearly as complicated as this all makes it sound. You definitely want to invest in a soldering iron. I have three! :D

zev

lumpy member
you bet I am going to have future fpv gear, I cant wait! oh yes, I have a soldering iron. I also have an RF engineer friend who happens to be a master of the iron.

I really can not stress how awesome this forum is. I always had wanted to fly planes, but building one seemed like an impossibility; waay to complicated for a newbie like me. but now it seems as if it is gonna happen! woohoo.;)

Last edited: