Other Hobbies? (I do airsoft)

flyboy330

Personally, I love mountain biking. I've been doing trail mostly, and last summer I rode all the trails I could from Fairbanks to Anchorage, Alaska. An I have recently taken an interest in Enduro. It is so exhilarating pumping up hill and jamming back down, launching off jumps and ripping around berms. It is also fantastic exercise ;)
My steed is a Trek Fuel ex 8. But I have my eye on a Slash next. Yeah, it is also much more expensive than my toy planes. lol

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Personally, I love mountain biking. I've been doing trail mostly, and last summer I rode all the trails I could from Fairbanks to Anchorage, Alaska. An I have recently taken an interest in Enduro. It is so exhilarating pumping up hill and jamming back down, launching off jumps and ripping around berms. It is also fantastic exercise ;)
My steed is a Trek Fuel ex 8. But I have my eye on a Slash next. Yeah, it is also much more expensive than my toy planes. lol
I have a Marin hardtail that I recently started taking out again. Took a bit of work getting it back in working order but I'm having a great time with it. I hadn't ridden in years and didn;t realize how much I actually like it.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Slash is expensive!

whackflyer

Master member
I sure would say their nearly equal! Except if its the Fuse fattie vs the Marin San Quentin. Plus bikes are better any day.
Debatable. Fat bikes (2.6" and up) are heavier, don't roll as fast, and aren't near as snappy and precise as bikes with narrower tires. To me the 2.4 - 2.6 range is perfect. As a bike mechanic and salesman I see a lot of people buy fat bikes just because they like how they look, when in fact a standard width tire would be better. Fat bikes have their place such as in sand, mud, or just to get a smoother ride, but if your looking for precision and lower rolling resistance with less weight, don't get fat tires. They actually don't even make a fat Fuse at the present. As far as how the two bikes compare, the Marin is focused more on dirt jump/ park and slope style riding, whereas the Fuse is a really aggressive raw trail monster. If anything, the Spesh is a cleaner, slightly better build IMO.

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Debatable. Fat bikes (2.6" and up) are heavier, don't roll as fast, and aren't near as snappy and precise as bikes with narrower tires. To me the 2.4 - 2.6 range is perfect. As a bike mechanic and salesman I see a lot of people buy fat bikes just because they like how they look, when in fact a standard width tire would be better. Fat bikes have their place such as in sand, mud, or just to get a smoother ride, but if your looking for precision and lower rolling resistance with less weight, don't get fat tires. They actually don't even make a fat Fuse at the present.
I agree as a guy who rides a stumpy 29 with 2.3s. I've demoed fatties and they don't really have a place on the techy stuff where I'm at.
IMG_20201210_170528798.jpg

flyingkelpie

Elite member
Debatable. Fat bikes (2.6" and up) are heavier, don't roll as fast, and aren't near as snappy and precise as bikes with narrower tires. To me the 2.4 - 2.6 range is perfect. As a bike mechanic and salesman I see a lot of people buy fat bikes just because they like how they look, when in fact a standard width tire would be better. Fat bikes have their place such as in sand, mud, or just to get a smoother ride, but if your looking for precision and lower rolling resistance with less weight, don't get fat tires. They actually don't even make a fat Fuse at the present. As far as how the two bikes compare, the Marin is focused more on dirt jump/ park and slope style riding, whereas the Fuse is a really aggressive raw trail monster. If anything, the Spesh is a cleaner, slightly better build IMO.
Yeah, I would agree with that for where you like to ride. I ride at Mt Kalatenee which is rather suited to plus bikes as it can get rough meaning if your going hardtail you need plus. I took my XC down some of the trails there. Not fun. I definitely would go with San Quentin in your position though as you sound like you ride on more groomed trails. Sadly I live in the "unflowy" zone. If I could pick I would live in Bright VIC.