Other hobbies!

PoorManRC

Master member
I like rocking out with my humble Squire, I've only been playing guitar for about eight months now and practicing daily for about six months, so far the hardest stuff I can play is Johnny B. Goode and the outro solo to Comfortably Numb. As of recently I've tried a bit of woodworking and so far I like it!!
View attachment 145263
(Five thumbs up to whoever know what race track is on display:p)

And if I get really bored I'll do a bit of drawing.
View attachment 145264

@PoorManRC Did you ever drag those Mustangs?

..... I'm going to double guess - Watkins Glen or Laguna Seca... I've run on both of them, a very long time ago!

Yes, I held NHRA, SCCA and NASCAR licenses back in the day. Fast Cars and making Music were deep in my blood!! Our Band 99.5% Made It to the show... But Success in Music is a Crap Shoot!! No matter how good you might be....

Auto Racing I had more control over my own fate.

Top Job on the End Table! You've got a talent. 😉

man-bot

I like rocking out with my humble Squire, I've only been playing guitar for about eight months now and practicing daily for about six months, so far the hardest stuff I can play is Johnny B. Goode and the outro solo to Comfortably Numb. As of recently I've tried a bit of woodworking and so far I like it!!
View attachment 145263
(Five thumbs up to whoever know what race track is on display:p)

And if I get really bored I'll do a bit of drawing.
View attachment 145264

@PoorManRC Did you ever drag those Mustangs?

Id say its either the "carousel" or "sonoma"

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
..... I'm going to double guess - Watkins Glen or Laguna Seca... I've run on both of them, a very long time ago!

Yes, I held NHRA, SCCA and NASCAR licenses back in the day. Fast Cars and making Music were deep in my blood!! Our Band 99.5% Made It to the show... But Success in Music is a Crap Shoot!! No matter how good you might be....

Auto Racing I had more control over my own fate.

Top Job on the End Table! You've got a talent. 😉
Id say its either the "carousel" or "sonoma"
Nope, I'll give you guys a hint - it's a French circuit.
Thanks for the comments by the way.

whackflyer

Master member
My other hobbies are hunting, shooting, powersports of any kind, swimming, and a lot of other things that don’t really classify as hobbies. Otherwise I help on our farm. We farm corn, soybeans, sorghum, and wheat and also we have 200 head or so of sheep. So between all that I still somehow find time to build planes!

TooJung2Die

Master member
Who needs a hobby? I'm a Homeowner! :ROFLMAO:
Do it yourselfers will get it. I like fixing old stuff. There seems to be a steady stream of antique clocks coming into my workshop lately. Every family has an old clock that doesn't run and has been in the family forever. Our latest acquisition came from a demolished Pennsylvania school. It's over 100 years old and keeps time within 1 second/day.

Attachments

• IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Since the FAA is getting ready to take a big steaming dump on our flying hobby, I figured it's time to get back into some of those other hobbies I've been neglecting since FliteTest sucked me in.

One of my interests is instrument repair and building - had a quick project in a used guitar we picked up super cheap cause the neck was set wrong from the factory and the tune-o-matic bridge was cranked up so high off the body it looked ready to break at any moment. Very weak sounding since the strings were so high up from the pickups, and overall very difficult to play with a lot of distance between strings and frets.

Since I just finished up my most recent airplane, I cleaned up the workbench and went back to lutherie mode for a bit. Made a quick router jig so I could safely maintain a level cut, and then used a pattern bit to level the neck pocket - was angled almost 1/16" front to back which was a huge problem with the severe angle it put on the neck.

IMG_20200106_221144-1024x768.jpg

And after cleaning things up, oiling and dressing the fretboard, shaving a good bit off the nut to bring the strings down much closer to the frets, new strings and lots of adjusting, she's sounding great! Very strong clear tone - nice pickups once they were adjusted up properly!

IMG_20200106_231752-1024x768.jpg

Ready for the real musician in the family (my daughter) to take her out for a spin after school tomorrow! :D

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Since the FAA is getting ready to take a big steaming dump on our flying hobby, I figured it's time to get back into some of those other hobbies I've been neglecting since FliteTest sucked me in.

One of my interests is instrument repair and building - had a quick project in a used guitar we picked up super cheap cause the neck was set wrong from the factory and the tune-o-matic bridge was cranked up so high off the body it looked ready to break at any moment. Very weak sounding since the strings were so high up from the pickups, and overall very difficult to play with a lot of distance between strings and frets.

Since I just finished up my most recent airplane, I cleaned up the workbench and went back to lutherie mode for a bit. Made a quick router jig so I could safely maintain a level cut, and then used a pattern bit to level the neck pocket - was angled almost 1/16" front to back which was a huge problem with the severe angle it put on the neck.

View attachment 153590

And after cleaning things up, oiling and dressing the fretboard, shaving a good bit off the nut to bring the strings down much closer to the frets, new strings and lots of adjusting, she's sounding great! Very strong clear tone - nice pickups once they were adjusted up properly!

View attachment 153589

Ready for the real musician in the family (my daughter) to take her out for a spin after school tomorrow! :D
Speaking my language now!!! 😁
IMG_20200106_215832.jpg

My favorite. Practically wore it out in my Band...
IMG_20200106_215951.jpg
IMG_20200106_215713.jpg

...... Had to sell them during the past 5 years. 💔 but I love playing and writing Music!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Interesting that this thread should pop up in my feed tonight as I was just thinking about the same thing while doing winter maintenance on one of my bicycles. This is very long, but is only a small glimpse of who I am at my core.

I have been a recreational bicyclist since about age 4. When I was growing up, everything we did, we kids rode our bikes. When I was 16, i really didn't care about getting my driver's license, because everything we did, we just rode. I currently co-lead local bike rides and try to help out new riders as much as possible. I recently worked at a national bike store and co-worked on starting a local independent bike store after the major national chain store (top 3 of the chain of 110) closed due to Chapter 11. I am currently working with another independent bike store on the side of my full time IT job. I'm genetically capable of racing, but have always kept cycling as a non-competitive "hobby" so that I have an outlet that is as stress free as possible. Competition tends to bring the worst out of me (and as I see it in general, most people too),. This is my "free" space. I keep my "flying" in this category, and consider myself a recreational freestyle pilot.

This was about 4 years ago at 48 when I was at my peak fitness and conditioning on an American Diabetes Association, Tour de Cure / World Bicycle relief charity ride at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
(speed x10)

Fastest100mi.jpg2.jpg

GPS log from the ride. 100 miles at an average speed of > 20 mph seat time. Ended up 3rd out of 10 for the 100mi WBR challenge. Nowhere near pro level, but way above most typical charity/hobby riders. Too fast to be slow, too slow to be fast.... Riding/racing a bike at Indy was a dream of mine in my teens. Truly blessed to have been able to hit this goal.

Pic at the end of the ride.
Fastest100mi.jpg

Great helmet hair at the end of a really hot, homeless foundation charity ride. This was a really hot and challenging ride. The look: Depleted, borderline Dehydrated, but happy as all get out that it was over!
HomelessFoundation.jpg

Every year my sisters and I do the Hocking hills winter hike which I started doing with my Dad back in 2005. He no longer is able to do the hike, but my sisters and I continue the tradition. Pic from quite a few years ago. From Left to right: My Dad, Father-In-Law, Me in the bright orange cap, Son at the bottom, and my my oldest Sister:
WinterHike.jpg

I like to cross train and love flatwater kayak time. Here's a a pic from labor day weekend a few years back where I did a 3 day 75+ mile kayak/camping paddle down the Muskingum river from Zaneseville, OH to Marietta, OH with one of my Cycling/paddling buddies.
BestKayakTrip.jpg

Link to the Flickr album from that trip which was a totally AWESOME weekend. Muskingum River Trip
Links to trip GPS logs: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3

Pic from a Dawn paddle at a local metro park:
AwesomeMorningFloat.jpg

Photography is yet another one of my other side hobbies, but I don't do enough of it.

Before I got back into biking and had a family, I was very involved in SCCA SoloII (autocross) racing at the National level for over a decade. Was on the SCCA rules board for the Street-Prepared classes. At my peak, I was at the near top of the class on an underprepaired '86 Vette. Stock engine, gearing was close to perfect, but suspension was pretty sketchy and was relying on old Bias Ply tyres to make up for the suspension deficiencies. Here's a Pic from the SCCA solo nationals in Topeka, KS on the morning of 9/11/2001 before we knew about the attacks. (finished 7th in BSP out of 40+)
09112001.JPG

I have done SO MANY OTHER THINGS, and truly have lead a blessed life! These are just some of the highlights of the last 20 years of my "other lives" outside of flying/FliteTest and doesn't begin to scratch the surface.

Cheers!
Karl Litterer (AKA LitterBug)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yup,
Interesting that this thread should pop up in my feed tonight as I was just thinking about the same thing while doing winter maintenance on one of my bicycles. This is very long, but is only a small glimpse of who I am at my core.

I have been a recreational bicyclist since about age 4. When I was growing up, everything we did, we kids rode our bikes. When I was 16, i really didn't care about getting my driver's license, because everything we did, we just rode. I currently co-lead local bike rides and try to help out new riders as much as possible. I recently worked at a national bike store and co-worked on starting a local independent bike store after the major national chain store (top 3 of the chain of 110) closed due to Chapter 11. I am currently working with another independent bike store on the side of my full time IT job. I'm genetically capable of racing, but have always kept cycling as a non-competitive "hobby" so that I have an outlet that is as stress free as possible. Competition tends to bring the worst out of me (and as I see it in general, most people too),. This is my "free" space. I keep my "flying" in this category, and consider myself a recreational freestyle pilot.

This was about 4 years ago at 48 when I was at my peak fitness and conditioning on an American Diabetes Association, Tour de Cure / World Bicycle relief charity ride at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
(speed x10)

View attachment 153604

GPS log from the ride. 100 miles at an average speed of > 20 mph seat time. Ended up 3rd out of 10 for the 100mi WBR challenge. Nowhere near pro level, but way above most typical charity/hobby riders. Too fast to be slow, too slow to be fast.... Riding/racing a bike at Indy was a dream of mine in my teens. Truly blessed to have been able to hit this goal.

Pic at the end of the ride.
View attachment 153596

Great helmet hair at the end of a really hot, homeless foundation charity ride. This was a really hot and challenging ride. The look: Depleted, borderline Dehydrated, but happy as all get out that it was over!
View attachment 153598

Every year my sisters and I do the Hocking hills winter hike which I started doing with my Dad back in 2005. He no longer is able to do the hike, but my sisters and I continue the tradition. Pic from quite a few years ago. From Left to right: My Dad, Father-In-Law, Me in the bright orange cap, Son at the bottom, and my my oldest Sister:
View attachment 153602

I like to cross train and love flatwater kayak time. Here's a a pic from labor day weekend a few years back where I did a 3 day 75+ mile kayak/camping paddle down the Muskingum river from Zaneseville, OH to Marietta, OH with one of my Cycling/paddling buddies.
View attachment 153599
Link to the Flickr album from that trip which was a totally AWESOME weekend. Muskingum River Trip
Links to trip GPS logs: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3

Pic from a Dawn paddle at a local metro park:
View attachment 153600

Photography is yet another one of my other side hobbies, but I don't do enough of it.

Before I got back into biking and had a family, I was very involved in SCCA SoloII (autocross) racing at the National level for over a decade. Was on the SCCA rules board for the Street-Prepared classes. At my peak, I was at the near top of the class on an underprepaired '86 Vette. Stock engine, gearing was close to perfect, but suspension was pretty sketchy and was relying on old Bias Ply tyres to make up for the suspension deficiencies. Here's a Pic from the SCCA solo nationals in Topeka, KS on the morning of 9/11/2001 before we knew about the attacks. (finished 7th in BSP out of 40+)
View attachment 153603

I have done SO MANY OTHER THINGS, and truly have lead a blessed life! These are just some of the highlights of the last 20 years of my "other lives" outside of flying/FliteTest and doesn't begin to scratch the surface.

Cheers!
Karl Litterer (AKA LitterBug)
That was really interesting to read about what else you've done! Will you be at ff Ohio 2020? Maybe I'll get to meet you there.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yup,

That was really interesting to read about what else you've done! Will you be at ff Ohio 2020? Maybe I'll get to meet you there.

Most years FF has fallen on our wedding anniversary. Had a Kitchen Pass in 2017 and 2018 but had a lot going on with family in 2019 and didn't make it. This year looks very plausible since it is a week later!

Cheers!
LitterBug

TooJung2Die

Master member
Old stuff in need of restoration seems to gravitate to my work shop. I have two more antique clocks waiting for some TLC. I have a collection of vintage air rifles that are all shooters. One of my favorites is a post war Crosman 101 that came to me as a box of rusty parts. Recently I inherited a couple of old fountain pens. I was happy to find out they are sought after by collectors and there's a business in restoring them. Here's a Parker "51" from 1944 restored to working condition.

It took weeks of soaking to get it taken apart and cleaned.

IMG_1682.JPG

A new latex "Vacumatic" ink sac is installed and ready to assemble.

IMG_1695.JPG

Back together and ready to write. I'll never fill it with ink again but you can dip in ink and write.

IMG_1697.JPG

It's nice and fat and feels great in your hand.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Jeez, reading this thread reminds me I need to get back on my bicycles both road and mountain bikes, start practicing my piano more, get back on the rivers whitewater kayaking, go camping again, finish my dirt bike rebuild and start my new rc wood scale boat build project (The Mac Products rc Miss Severn). I am taking a break from building airplanes for a while and do a boat build as I have 4 new airplanes I recently built and acquired that are ready for maiden flights, but it never seems to stop raining here these days in Seattle so I cant fly. Plus I have been working on the house non-stop for 5 months now...

Attachments

• FLOOR.jpg
    FLOOR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    450.8 KB · Views: 0
  • tori.jpg
    tori.jpg
    355.1 KB · Views: 0
  • bikies.jpg
    bikies.jpg
    534.6 KB · Views: 0
  • InkedIMG_1579[1188]_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_1579[1188]_LI.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

RedTwilight

I'm a gear head, so I'm into anything with an engine. But mostly Mustangs and Fords. I've got a 93 5.0 coupe that's a street/strip vehicle. Also I have a 96 SVT Cobra that I'll be setting up to handle the road course. But it'll be mostly a street cruiser and car show for the first
I also do a little drawing and airbrushing.

20190727_142552.jpg

ZERO3.jpg

38102959395_4182239c8c_k.jpg

20150621_174949.jpg
20150628_152729.jpg

20200111_230804.jpg

20190929_201203.jpg

PoorManRC

Master member
I'm a gear head, so I'm into anything with an engine. But mostly Mustangs and Fords. I've got a 93 5.0 coupe that's a street/strip vehicle. Also I have a 96 SVT Cobra that I'll be setting up to handle the road course. But it'll be mostly a street cruiser and car show for the first
I also do a little drawing and airbrushing.

View attachment 158183
View attachment 158189
View attachment 158190
View attachment 158191 View attachment 158192
View attachment 158193
View attachment 158194
Nice Artwork!
But I LOVE your taste in Cars!!! 💖👍👍😎 I might be partial though...
920557b0dd97012e4_20160814170735.jpg
2nd-82_Mustang GT.jpg
211691_6C2048BB.jpg

My 96 obviously didn't come in this color... But Arizona REALLY got to the original paint. Wife's choice, but it really grew on me!
IMG_20200216_223448.jpg

GAWD I'd give anything to have any of them back. 💔 Or even be able to afford a Car at all.

....... Just a few of the 16 Stangs I've owned and loved.

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I guess you could say I do metal fabrication from time to time? Never something I've been super serious about though, even though I keep getting nagged to make a career out of it lol

Most of my welds get discarded and lost almost immediately but I kept the first time I tried uphill mig since I thought it looked cool:

P_20180702_205509_LL (2).jpg

I also made this at work a while back. I had an idea to start selling them for valentine's day this year, but that's already passed...

P_20180510_142935_LL.jpg

A more long-term goal has to be eventually I want to either build a recumbent bike or a velomobile. The latter would actually be easier for me at the moment since I'd consider myself decent at working with fiberglass, and if you do it right you can build velomobiles to be super light, and if you're clever with the design of it you can remove all metal structure completely while making it still be quite stiff and effectively have it be like a unibody frame car. I've seen velomobiles built this way out of carbon fiber that weigh in the high 40 pound range which sounds extraordinarily heavy for a bike, which it kind of is but a bike doesn't have the associated aerodynamic and weather protection advantages :p