Our First Scratch Build

Berekiah

My Son and I spent the afternoon building the FT LongEZ (Glider Version). Well more like I built most of it while he looked for more exciting things to do on a phone or with his scooter. 3 Hours later when its time to maiden his energy picks up and is excited once again.

I recently just got into the RC hobby again after having a nitro stadium truck in my college years. I've always wanted to get into planes so I did my homework and for my Birthday I was able to convince my family it was time. I was able to get a Mini Apprentice S and quickly found a local club and field to fly on. Of course I didn't get to fly my own bird for a while as I went through the clubs training. But a little over a month in I graduated and became a full member at the club and the AMA and now fly any chance I get.

Thinking about what's next and in my research I stumbled on to Flite Test. I have really enjoyed the videos and values these men example. Thus I dug deeper and was happy to see all the plans and work done out there to build your own plane. So I knew as soon as I got time I wanted to build my own. Where to start though... Well since my adventure began in September just the time the LongEZ came out I got very interested. Of course a plane from a single sheet of DTFB is hard to pass up for a first build.

So after enjoying my Mini for the past few weeks I finally got an afternoon with my Son to go for it. Being my first build it took a while to get the hang of it, but no major screw ups and I ended up with something that actually looks like a plane.

After getting the CG right with a Quarter we tossed it in the yard and while it seemed to want to bank left it actually flew. We discovered pretty quickly the left bank was more due to how we threw it and not anything wrong with the build itself. After a few tosses though we quickly ripped part of the canard due to those quick left banks. Love how just a little hot glue though and away we were again tossing.

Quickly we both were like lets walk to the park and get some real room to throw. So with our energy high we were off to the park and had a great Father/Son toss. A bit more special to me as it was like tossing a baseball back and forth, but with something we did ourselves. Our fun didn't last forever as a bad throw popped off one of the vertical stabilizers, but no big deal as it was getting dark and getting winded. Again a little glue back in the garage and almost as good as new. Thank you all so much for being here to show us the way to open up flight and good times with family.

Next up we've talked about building the SE5 and Tri-Plane to have some good old WWI battle buddies. I'm looking forward to using paper skins to really get in the battle mood :) Mom is even interested in helping out with this as it ticks that crafty itch :) I look forward to many more adventures ahead.

IMG_0369[1].JPG

PoorManRC

Master member
It's the good people like You, that makes FliteTest what it is!! Welcome aboard!

I'm sorta new myself, but have absorbed a LOT of knowledge from the outstanding Guys here.
To be perfectly honest, the DR-1 and the SE-5 are NOT easy Flyers... They're twitchy, not incredibly stable, nor are they easy to control.
They're much like their WWI counterparts - the inherent instability gives them great maneuverability!
They're more for the Intermediate....

It is of course, your choice. But if you want a Classic looking Airplane, that's maneuverable without being unstable, I'd look at the FT Simple Scout, Simple Speedster, the Mini version of either of those.
Or the Old Fogey...
They're worth a look.

Those are a little more of a challenge to build, but still easy enough for the kids. They're a great step up! ;)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
My Son and I spent the afternoon building the FT LongEZ (Glider Version). Well more like I built most of it while he looked for more exciting things to do on a phone or with his scooter. 3 Hours later when its time to maiden his energy picks up and is excited once again.

I recently just got into the RC hobby again after having a nitro stadium truck in my college years. I've always wanted to get into planes so I did my homework and for my Birthday I was able to convince my family it was time. I was able to get a Mini Apprentice S and quickly found a local club and field to fly on. Of course I didn't get to fly my own bird for a while as I went through the clubs training. But a little over a month in I graduated and became a full member at the club and the AMA and now fly any chance I get.

Thinking about what's next and in my research I stumbled on to Flite Test. I have really enjoyed the videos and values these men example. Thus I dug deeper and was happy to see all the plans and work done out there to build your own plane. So I knew as soon as I got time I wanted to build my own. Where to start though... Well since my adventure began in September just the time the LongEZ came out I got very interested. Of course a plane from a single sheet of DTFB is hard to pass up for a first build.

So after enjoying my Mini for the past few weeks I finally got an afternoon with my Son to go for it. Being my first build it took a while to get the hang of it, but no major screw ups and I ended up with something that actually looks like a plane.

After getting the CG right with a Quarter we tossed it in the yard and while it seemed to want to bank left it actually flew. We discovered pretty quickly the left bank was more due to how we threw it and not anything wrong with the build itself. After a few tosses though we quickly ripped part of the canard due to those quick left banks. Love how just a little hot glue though and away we were again tossing.

Quickly we both were like lets walk to the park and get some real room to throw. So with our energy high we were off to the park and had a great Father/Son toss. A bit more special to me as it was like tossing a baseball back and forth, but with something we did ourselves. Our fun didn't last forever as a bad throw popped off one of the vertical stabilizers, but no big deal as it was getting dark and getting winded. Again a little glue back in the garage and almost as good as new. Thank you all so much for being here to show us the way to open up flight and good times with family.

Next up we've talked about building the SE5 and Tri-Plane to have some good old WWI battle buddies. I'm looking forward to using paper skins to really get in the battle mood :) Mom is even interested in helping out with this as it ticks that crafty itch :) I look forward to many more adventures ahead.

View attachment 118703
My son recently turned 18 and I am 50. I got into this hobby flying toy-grade quads with my son. We connected with that. It's pretty special to make that kind of connection both with family and with others, and that is what FT and this forum are all about. Whatever you build, it's perfect. You're going to be doing so with your son. Then you'll crash it. I promise you, you will cherish every memory. Welcome.

mayan

Legendary member
My son recently turned 18 and I am 50. I got into this hobby flying toy-grade quads with my son.
@buzzbomb I didn’t know that about you. Do you plan to fly the plane you built together too?

@Berekiah good to have you on board. Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences with the family as it comes in. Seems like you have flying experience, does your son have some flying knowledge? Any case I’d choose something that you can handoff the remote to him. Or build something for him and something for yourself. That way you can keep flying together.

Mode 1

My situation is very similar to @buzzbomb ... i'm 49 and my son will turn 18 in a couple of weeks. I love this hobby but the real motivator for me is the fact it's something my son and I can do together. That being said, we build all planes in pairs. One for him and one for me. You and your son will have a great time in this hobby.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I didn’t know that about you. Do you plan to fly the plane you built together too?
Absolutely! Soon as I know enough to stay in the air and then land successfully, most of the time. I figure by then I'll have the build process down better, and it won't be so daunting trying to build and or repair both his and my planes at the same time. He's really not into the build process.

I'm hoping down the road that he'll remember the flights with his Dad and want to build a plane himself and fly with his child.

Berekiah

Thank you all so much for your warm welcome. It is great to be able to share this hobby with so many others and family.

@PoorManRC - You are right the DR-1 and SE-5 are NOT easy Flyers, but that's what I have my Mini Apprentice S for :) I am actually looking forward to more of a challenge building and flying these early warbirds. From there I am looking to the Mini Mustang and Corsair to start WWII. Once I've got my feet wet with all those then I think I'll be ready to take on the FT Edge 540 :)

@mayan - I've had some flying experience, but it was when I was a kid. Working and living with computers all my life I've had hours, days, months, maybe even years playing simulators. It is quite different to do it for real, but a lot of what I learned helped. My Son doesn't have as much of that knowledge, but he is a gamer too so he is picking it up quick.

It is great so many of you do it with your son's as well. I'm finding I like the building, but getting it to fly is the best :) For my son it's all about the flying.

As a side note the FT LongEZ has been a lot of fun to throw around, but it is pretty fragile with those vertical stabilizers. I'm going to try some of those other small FT builds to make some more gliders to see what is more durable and give us more to do at the park before walking back home :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Welcome to the community!

If you can, bring the family out to the next Flite Fest!
It's an amazing experience for the whole family, I went to my first one solo last year and I'm definitely bringing the wife and kids next year!

My first two FT kits were the Se5 and Dr.1 kit... It did NOT go well... LOL
I like that you've got a foamy to practice on. Just take your time on the Dr.1 it's CG is really sensitive. I had some build "issues" with my Se.5 so it will probably fly just fine for you. They don't take hits/crashes very well though...

I'm just going to toss this out there, the tiny trainer is a great first time scratch build plane. it can use the same power plant as the WWI birds, so "maybe" build one of them first then crack the cellophane on the biplanes? ;)

Good luck either way!

Berekiah

Welcome to the community!

If you can, bring the family out to the next Flite Fest!
It's an amazing experience for the whole family, I went to my first one solo last year and I'm definitely bringing the wife and kids next year!

My first two FT kits were the Se5 and Dr.1 kit... It did NOT go well... LOL
I like that you've got a foamy to practice on. Just take your time on the Dr.1 it's CG is really sensitive. I had some build "issues" with my Se.5 so it will probably fly just fine for you. They don't take hits/crashes very well though...

I'm just going to toss this out there, the tiny trainer is a great first time scratch build plane. it can use the same power plant as the WWI birds, so "maybe" build one of them first then crack the cellophane on the biplanes? ;)

Good luck either way!

Thank you so much for the advice. Great to hear from someone who has already been there with those WWI warbirds. Sounds like a fun challenge to get them to fly. Definitely will post more when I get to that point.

I was already thinking to make a tiny trainer glider in my search for more durable models for park gliding so it wouldn't be much to put the power pack in that first before I maiden the WWI warbirds.

Is it strange to say I'm actually looking forward to crashing something. LOL. (Heavily knocking on wood...)

PoorManRC

Master member
BE AMBITIOUS. It's a great quality!! But try to realize that Planes that don't Fly well, or at all, may wane your Son's interest.....

Or he might like all the crashing!! :p The best thing about a Hobby is, no rules!! We're just here to advise. Trust me, I needed a little "Adjustment" when I started!! :eek:
I've got a Very ambitious project on the drawing board.... I've also got an easy Flyer, to hone my skills (which I don't have ANY of yet!).

If you were to choose one WWI Warbird, I'd personally go with the SE5. Way easier than the Triplane, yet still challenging!

Berekiah

The Tiny Trainer is a great chuck glider I promise.

Well that settles it the Tiny Trainer is my next scratch build glider :)

@mayan - I've been using my Mini Apprentice S as a trainer so far for us, and have it setup with two Spektrum DXe's wirelessly buddy boxed for some doubles fun :) Wouldn't hurt to have another trainer though to fly in a smaller park then our club field and enjoy crashing.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Wouldn't hurt to have another trainer though to fly in a smaller park then our club field and enjoy crashing.
The more experience with how foamboards builds is always a good thing too; Especially before you tackle that Edge!
(I haven't even attempted that one yet!)... Yet... ;)

The Tiny Trainer is also easy enough you can have the little guy help as well!