Out of frustration that I can't find the answers to my questions...

Well I was getting ready to put in my order for the plane, smaller battery, charger, lipo charging bag... and realized I still don't know if I need to buy a premium mini small pack in addition to the value bundle speed kit... do any of you know? I guess I can wait another day... his birthday is a week or so out still...

Thanks again to all of you for all your help!

MrKilometer

Well I was getting ready to put in my order for the plane, smaller battery, charger, lipo charging bag... and realized I still don't know if I need to buy a premium mini small pack in addition to the value bundle speed kit... do any of you know? I guess I can wait another day... his birthday is a week or so out still...

Thanks again to all of you for all your help!
The value bundle speed build includes the power pack, so you do not need to buy another A pack.

This is what I was trying to ask about:
premium-mini-small-pack
IMG_0653__80677.1675694834.jpg

No, you don’t need that. That’s for people who scratch build with Dollar Tree foam. It provides all the little bits and pieces that you would need to build most mini aircraft, but without the actual pre-cut foam.
It sure would be nice if the website mentioned that somewhere (eye roll). Thanks for the help!

danskis

Master member
@Clintonious - the old days are gone, you'll never be able to just find the answers you're looking for by simply reading about the product on line. I have found that online product manuals can sometimes answer your questions. Often you pays you're money and take your chances or do way too much research on the web through forums or youtube and often get conflicting answers. And I've gotten incorrect or misleading answers by calling shops with online presence and brick and mortar stores. This is just how it is these days. A little experience will go a long way as well as a local guru.

@Clintonious - the old days are gone, you'll never be able to just find the answers you're looking for by simply reading about the product on line. I have found that online product manuals can sometimes answer your questions. Often you pays you're money and take your chances or do way too much research on the web through forums or youtube and often get conflicting answers. And I've gotten incorrect or misleading answers by calling shops with online presence and brick and mortar stores. This is just how it is these days. A little experience will go a long way as well as a local guru.
It shouldn’t be that way. It doesn’t take much effort to have a section for “Other items required” and list “None”. Really this is a marketing failure, as it makes me less likely to spend my money with FT, as I’m afraid I’m going to get it wrong. They should also have a video for each product they sell, explaining these things as well. They do such a good job with their airplanes, you would think they could do the same with other items they sell.

(Time to start another thread for my new questions on battery chargers!)

Foamforce

It shouldn’t be that way. It doesn’t take much effort to have a section for “Other items required” and list “None”. Really this is a marketing failure, as it makes me less likely to spend my money with FT, as I’m afraid I’m going to get it wrong. They should also have a video for each product they sell, explaining these things as well. They do such a good job with their airplanes, you would think they could do the same with other items they sell.

I was a bit surprised by this because their store generally does a better job of laying out what you need better than most. I popped into the value bundle page to see what you were talking about and yeah, it seems like particularly on the value pack page there could be a bit of additional explanation given. The value pack is the speed build kit for the airplane itself, plus the A power pack. The product page for each of those parts does a better job of explaining what you need, but I can see how it could be confusing when you only see the value bundle page. On the video side of thing, you should check out the build video at the bottom and watch the entire thing. That gives a really good overview of everything that goes into the plane and you can see where each part of the value pack is used.

Fwiw, I'm a software developer myself, and even though I've been trying to make my software easy to use for 20 years, it's very difficult to anticipate what users will or will not understand. I don't take it personally any more when users complain about my software, but it's rarely possible to make software that everybody will understand immediately. You just don't know what experiences and preconceptions people have when they see your software for the first time. Things will happen like I'll name a button with a word, and that word makes perfect sense to <me> in that context, but then a user comes along from a different industry where that word has a specific alternate meaning that I never knew about, and it causes confusion for that user. My design wasn't stupid or lazy, and the user wasn't stupid or lazy, but there was confusion anyways. What I'm trying to say is that FT has done a pretty good job, particularly for a family business, of explaining what needs to be done. You're right that there are gaps, but I feel like we ought to be charitable about it. Ask questions, get the help you need, and then when you have a decent understanding of things you can help the next new people who come along. I was new at this six months ago, by the way. Well, I still am new at it, just less new. :)

I hope you're very successful at this. Post videos and ask questions. It's fun to see how you're progressing!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I've been in here for about 8 years, and I am still new. Things are always changing and progressing just like they have since the beginning of time. Be flexible and adaptive. Learn how to learn. Don't expect everything to jump into your lap.... And most of all, have fun with it!

Cheers!
LitterBug

@Foamforce
I get what you’re saying… i think my biggest frustration is that I know how it could be done better, but I don’t know if anyone cares or how to get in contact with the right person who could do something about it.

These guys do a top notch job on everything right up to the point I was wanting to give them my money and then I got tangled up in the details. That isn’t good for business. Maybe this engineer had more marketing in him that I thought…

So “Delta” opened his presents and wasn’t as excited as I had hoped… I’m starting to think maybe I should have built it for him first. Regardless, I’ll (we will?) be building soon and in the meanwhile myself, Alpha, Bravo, Charlie and Delta are all getting stick time on the computer… so hopefully I can figure out how to program the new Boxer radio before it’s time to go fly!

Thanks again!

I've been in here for about 8 years, and I am still new. Things are always changing and progressing just like they have since the beginning of time. Be flexible and adaptive. Learn how to learn. Don't expect everything to jump into your lap.... And most of all, have fun with it!

Cheers!
LitterBug
I can’t argue with that… but sometimes it feels like I’m breaking into a safe when I am just trying to figure stuff out… all while in reality the entire front of the safe is on hinges and all I have to do is pull…

You guys have been really helpful, thank you! I have started a new thread documenting things from here on out…

This journey I’m on covers the build and all my thoughts going forward. I did want to ask though… should I post a new thread for every question I have? I followed you guys above, but…

JDSnavely

This probably goes without saying but the biggest concern I had with my boys on anything RC Planes bigger than the Sport Cub was propeller safety. Always prop off when setting up. Always treat the propeller as though it would come on at any time. Always fly a safe distance away from anyone. They are and were responsible boys but sometimes forgetful when they were younger.

JDSnavely

I take time to write reviews for the planes here on Flite Test to try to help others. Reading other reviews in the past has helped me a lot. Unfortunately, it appears that FT lost a lot of the more current reviews when they updated their system. Also, when adding the new "White" FB versions of the planes. Makes it look like there are no reviews for these planes. There probably is just not enough time and people to do all that they need to do. (Like most everywhere today!) If it were me, I would be encouraging people to leave more reviews and trying to keep reviews current. I go to Amazon often just for their reviews.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
… should I post a new thread for every question I have?...
Separate thread for each question is not necessary. But maybe limit each thread to 2-3 questions. Your first post was quite a list. Nobody likes reading a looong post. After a while people just stop reading & figure this guy is just on a rant.

dmdeaton

My 2 cents, I am a 40 year experience electrical control guy. I use all brands and all sorts of controllers and motor drives. All of which are programmable nowadays. It is the same in this industry. Printed manuals suck, online help is just ok. A lot of tech people that work for the manufacturers know a lot about their products, but not everything. Maybe it's my problem that I try and squeeze everything I can out of a device, using functions to their max. I feel like a guinea pig for a lot of this stuff. Flying is a hobby and I dont get so riled up about it. My business end gets pretty frustrating when spend hours researching how to make something work.
I am new on this forum, and just got back into the flying and building hobby a couple of years ago. Things have changed and I have found a lot of my answers here in this forum. So thanks to all and maybe I can pass on some bits as I figure them out.