Out of frustration that I can't find the answers to my questions...

So after a lot of time spend lurking through the different pages of this forum and reading various articles and getting frustrated on the FT store page, I'm going to share the e-mail I just wrote to customer service in hopes that you guys can steer me in the right direction! (Just maybe not in the same order.) NOTE: I'm not made of money and I'm trying to get my four eldest kids off the ground starting with the 6 year old, who's birthday is fast approaching!

1) I'm looking at purchasing the Radiomaster Zorro 4-in-1 and batteries. Does the included USB cable allow me to connect it to my computer for use with RC Simulators?

2) Can you recommend a simulator? If I can use the USB cable with the Radiomaster, Realflight is affordable... otherwise I was looking at EurosimRC... but I understand there are other options. Perhaps you guys might have an opinion from experience? (I noticed you don't sell them anymore, otherwise I'd just buy that one too.)

3) I'm also looking at purchasing your Mighty Mini Trainer and it sure would be helpful if there was a section on the store web page that listed anything else I need in order to complete the build. Can you help me? (Do I need to buy a premium mini small pack in addition to the value bundle speed kit?)

4) Is the R88 receiver a good choice? (Here's where I'm going to deviate from the e-mail.)

4A) I think what I've gathered is that the R81 and the lemon are not receivers that I'd plug servos into. Nothing on the flite test store page tells me this directly, which is really frustrating. I'm guessing they have something to do with a receiver eliminator circuit or something like that. It would be really nice if they made youtube videos that they put in the product description that explains exactly what that product does!

5) Also, can you explain to me what the differences are in the battery choices? This would be another great thing for you guys to add to your website, as for a beginner there is almost zero explanation of the differences between the batteries and why you might want one over the other. Example: Tattu 800mAh 7.4V 45C 2S1P Lipo Battery vs . 850mAh 11.1V 45C 3S1P. (I'm assuming the added voltage gives the plane more power with a lesser run time?)
Note: I get that the mAh rating is how much power the batter holds and I'm assuming the later is a "3 cell" while the initial is a "2 Cell" and the later gives higher performance... is there a reason I wouldn't start out with the 3 cell? Does one give longer flight time? Does the 2 cell allow the airplane to fly slower / easier?

6) I assume the B3 20W charger is a good charger for starters. Is this safe to use inside or are there special precautions that need to be taken? I watched one of your older videos on safety and charging LiPo batteries... Can my 10 year old handle it or do I need to be the only one allowed to do any charging in a bunker in the backyard?

7) I'd like to put your Flite Test Aura Lite inside this tiny trainer... as I still have vivid memories of crashing my balsa trainer and I don't want to repeat that. Is there anything I should know before I try this... will it fit?

So yeah... as I mentioned in my introduction post, over 15 years ago I was learning to fly my dads balsa wood .45 gas engine trainer, got confident in loops and started trying to make lower slower passes in prep for a landing. I was on a buddy cord and my dad had just told me to let him know if I need him to take over... seconds later I nosed down (without dropping the throttle), did 1.5 loops, a half roll followed by a climb that ended in the tree line :eek: The silence that resulted was sickening = :cry:+:sick:

I'd really like to give my kids a better start, hence the simulator and the Aura in the trainer. Am I on the right track or are there some gremlins in there that I don't know about just yet?

Oh! Do I need to join a flying club? Again, not made of money here and both grandpas have some nice big fields we can fly over... how far do they need to be from an airport out in the middle of nowhere... out west? :rolleyes:

Also, I didn't see any categories called "Stupid questions from newbies", but feel free to move it there if I just missed it ;)

I have hopes that later on we can pick up a nicer transmitter (or pick up a few more of the Zorro's) so we can all fly at the same time and the kids can get their own birds as birthdays and Christmas come and go. Time will tell...

Thanks in advance!
-Clintonious

Foamforce

Hi! I learned to fly by myself last fall and the people here have been great help. It sure would have been a lot easier if I’d known somebody in person though! I live in Madison, WI in case you’re close.

On to your questions.
1. This article says you can use the USB cable for simulators. Fwiw, I learned in the RealFlight Trainer edition that only cost $40.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/radiomaster-zorro-4-in-1-review

2. I’ve only used RealFlight, so I don’t have anything to compare it to.

3. Get the Value Bundle (https://store.flitetest.com/ft-mighty-mini-tiny-trainer-mkr2-value-bundle/). Select one of the batteries on the purchase page. The 7.2v battery option is slower and lighter, both of which makes the plane easier to fly. The 11.1v battery options are heavier and faster, so you can do cooler acrobatics. In addition to the battery, you need the transmitter and receiver. If you get the Zorro, then you want the R88 receiver. Buying the extra set of props is a good idea too.

4,5: Oops, I already answered these.

6. I don’t like that charger. It takes frustratingly long. Also, I have one that looks just like it, but branded differently, and it does a very poor job of balancing the cells. Regardless of the charger, you should charge in a lipo bag on a non-flammable surface. One nice thing about that cheap charger is that there aren’t any settings that have to be set, so it’s fool proof and as kid safe as it can be.

7. I believe this will fit fine, although I’ve never used it. I see that it will with with the R88 receiver because the R88 outputs SBus.

Good luck on flying! The great thing about these foam planes is that you can just keep hot gluing them back together every time you crashed. I went home with a broken plans about the first ten times I went to the field. 😂 Based on that, my best advice is to find somebody to fly with a couple times if you can! But if you can’t, that’s ok, just buy more hot glue and props. Next best advice is to find the absolute biggest most open area to fly in. Trees and fence posts are plane magnets. Honest to God, there was a single 5 foot pole in the middle of a big field I was flying in and I managed to hit it. Next advice is the old “Fly 3+ mistakes High”. Flying too high never hurt an airplane. Flying too low does. It’s impressive how badly you can screw up and recover if you’re way up high. I’ve had an absolute blast learning over the past six months. I hope you do too!

MrKilometer

Oh! Do I need to join a flying club? Again, not made of money here and both grandpas have some nice big fields we can fly over... how far do they need to be from an airport out in the middle of nowhere... out west? :rolleyes:
You do not have to join a club, but you will need to register the airplane if it's over 250 grams. Generally, you need to be at least 5 miles from an airport to be able to legally fly, but there are other types of airspace that you cannot fly in (TFRs, Restricted Areas, etc). There are apps, such as B4UFLY, that can help you figure out where you can and cannot fly legally.

I assume the B3 20W charger is a good charger for starters. Is this safe to use inside or are there special precautions that need to be taken? I watched one of your older videos on safety and charging LiPo batteries... Can my 10 year old handle it or do I need to be the only one allowed to do any charging in a bunker in the backyard?

Definitely charge your batteries on a non-flammable surface inside of a cinder block/LiPo bag. The cheaper, non-adjustable chargers will work to start, but expect to invest in a higher-quality one as you get into airplanes that require 4s or higher (I would even get one for 3s, your batteries will wear out quickly if poorly balanced). In regards to trusting your kids with the charger, I would start out supervising them, and let them do it on their own when they have a good understanding of the operation, settings, and risks involved.

Bricks

Master member
That is a long list of questions for them to answer, the way I got around this is take each question you have and google it. Do some digging and learning it does take a bit once you understand how everything works and fits together some lights will come on and make the decisions easier. It is not as complicated as it seems right now in your position. If the kids are old enough have each one take a question goggle it and give the group an explanation of the answers they came up with, everybody learns and understands.

Me personally would not want the Zoro for a transmitter there are much better for not much more money.

The Flysky AFHDS 2 protocol receiver is better than the radiomaster in my opinion.
I pretty highly doubt he even knows what AFHDS is or Radiomaster at this point..
Yep, certainly don't know about that one! However, I've now been persuaded by the What transmitter should I buy thread to go with the TX16S... until i watched a youtube video about the soon to be released Boxer in 4-in-1 (as I'm assuming there's not much value in ELRS for fixed wing / rotary aircraft). I should probably post this in that thread.

Hi! I learned to fly by myself last fall and the people here have been great help. It sure would have been a lot easier if I’d known somebody in person though! I live in Madison, WI in case you’re close.

On to your questions.
1. This article says you can use the USB cable for simulators. Fwiw, I learned in the RealFlight Trainer edition that only cost $40.
6. I don’t like that charger. It takes frustratingly long. Also, I have one that looks just like it, but branded differently, and it does a very poor job of balancing the cells. Regardless of the charger, you should charge in a lipo bag on a non-flammable surface. One nice thing about that cheap charger is that there aren’t any settings that have to be set, so it’s fool proof and as kid safe as it can be.
7. I believe this will fit fine, although I’ve never used it. I see that it will with with the R88 receiver because the R88 outputs SBus.

@Foamforce - Nope, I'm in the lower peninsula... not too far away by the ferry though!

Okay, I'll go with the trainer version and save money... the kids can request the upgrade for Christmas if they want that. That leaves more $ for the TX16S! So one thing I have noticed is that the FT store once again leaves out if the transmitter includes the batter and which one I need if I doesn't... which I'm assuming it doesn't... but I figured that out if I go with the TX16S vs. the boxer...

luvmy40

Elite member
Yep, certainly don't know about that one! However, I've now been persuaded by the What transmitter should I buy thread to go with the TX16S... until i watched a youtube video about the soon to be released Boxer in 4-in-1 (as I'm assuming there's not much value in ELRS for fixed wing / rotary aircraft). I should probably post this in that thread.

@Foamforce - Nope, I'm in the lower peninsula... not too far away by the ferry though!

Okay, I'll go with the trainer version and save money... the kids can request the upgrade for Christmas if they want that. That leaves more $ for the TX16S! So one thing I have noticed is that the FT store once again leaves out if the transmitter includes the batter and which one I need if I doesn't... which I'm assuming it doesn't... but I figured that out if I go with the TX16S vs. the boxer...
The TX16s comes with a battery pack that you can fill with 18650 batteries. You can also buy a 2 cell Li Ion battery for it. https://www.racedayquads.com/produc...sqREpSUD8OrcBdxcqydCU0loguN9GDrxoCYUAQAvD_BwE

Bricks

Master member

ELRS is coming as some manufacturers are making receivers for planes, Radiomaster already has some out. I have ELRS and there are some cool things about it like binding phrase instead of a binding plug. WiFi built into the receiver for updates pretty cool ( update without pulling receiver from plane ) and being open source it`s being updated regularly. If I was just starting out I would very seriously consider going full on with ELRS.

I am a Spektrum guy and own a Radiomaster TX16s basic programing using the Wizard is pretty straight forward learning advanced programing takes BIT MORE, One of my biggest gripes about the RadioMaster is it does not come with wireless buddy boxing, as every newer Spektrum does..

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I'm not made of money and I'm trying to get my four eldest kids off the ground ... I'm looking at purchasing the Radiomaster Zorro 4-in-1 and batteries...

The Raidomaster is a fine system, if you indend to stick with the hobby, it's a great choice.
If you are looking to economize, FlySky will be much less expensive, about half the price.

...Realflight is affordable...
It's not only the purchase price you need to be worried about. You need to be more worried if your computer can run it. The newer simulators are resource hogs, they take a LOT of graphic power to run them.

... I'm also looking at purchasing your Mighty Mini Trainer...
It's a good choice. With kids, take a look at the FT Tenet Flite.
The fuse is made of EPP foam, meaning it can take a hit and will bounce. The prop is in the back, so it's more protected from impact.

...the R81 and the lemon are not receivers that I'd plug servos into....
If it has servo pins, then you can plug servos into it. A servo pin always has 3 pins per channel.
Receivers will have anywhere from 4 to 10 servo channels.
Look for PWM (pulse width modulation) in the description, it's what servos use.

...can you explain to me what the differences are in the battery choices? ...
Lipo batteries are 4.2v per cell, more cells equals higher voltage. Higher voltage makes the motor spin faster.
Motor spinning faster, means the motor will need a smaller prop & plane goes faster.
Higher mAh means heaver battery & longer flight time, up to a point. At some point heaver battery equals minimal longer flight time.
More cells also means heavier battery. Heaver battery also means, plane must fly faster to stay in the air.
At some point plane is too heavy & can't fly.

... I assume the B3 20W charger is a good charger for starters....
It's a good choice for a starter, it will be slow, about an hour to charge a battery.
Depending on how many batteries you have, you might need more than one charger.
One battery will fly 8-10 minutes, it will take an hour to recharge.
I don't like to wait for my batteries to charge, I have 8 chargers, Imax B6.

...Is this safe to use inside or are there special precautions that need to be taken?...
Depends on your house. I charge my batteries inside my house. I have an unfinished basement with nothing flammable near my batteries. I have build a fame resistant box for charging and storage. Each battery is isolated form the next.
Lipo's will catch fire, they will burn for 3-5 minutes or so. It's all about what else is nearby.
You don't want all of you batteries in one large box or bag. If one goes, they all go.

...Can my 10 year old handle it...
Maybe, depends on the kid.

...I'd like to put your Flite Test Aura Lite inside this tiny trainer...
The Aura will fit, it will NOT keep you from flying into a tree
If you hit something, the EPP fuse will bounce & the prop is in the rear.

...Do I need to join a flying club?...
No, but having someone to show you the ropes is worth the price of a membership.
There is lots of stuff to go wrong and you don't know what you don't know. Sometime a little experience can be invaluable .

...both grandpas have some nice big fields we can fly over...
Prefect

...how far do they need to be from an airport out in the middle of nowhere...
5 miles.

...I didn't see any categories called "Stupid questions from newbies"...
Here is a good place to start for more information
https://www.flitetest.com/get-started/airplanes

Also you might think about asking questions one at a time. Lots of questions equals a very long, hart to follow response.

Last edited:
The Raidomaster is a fine system, if you indend to stick with the hobby, it's a great choice.
If you are looking to economize, FlySky will be much less expensive, about half the price.

It's not only the purchase price you need to be worried about. You need to be more worried if your computer can your computer run it. The newer simulators are resource hogs. It take a LOT of graphic power to run them.

It's a good choice. With kids, take a look at the FT Tenet Flite.
The fuse is made of EPP foam, meaning it can take a hit and will bounce. The prop is in the back, so it's more protected from impact.

If it has servo pins, then you can plug servos into it. A servo pin always has 3 pins per channel.
Receivers will have anywhere from 4 to 10 servo channels.
Look for PWM (pulse width modulation) in the description, it's what servos use.

Lipo batteries are 4.2v per cell, more cells equals higher voltage. Higher voltage makes the motor spin faster.
Motor spinning faster, means the motor will need a smaller prop & plane goes faster.
Higher mAh means heaver battery & longer flight time, up to a point. At some point heaver battery equals minimal longer flight time.
More cells also means heavier battery. Heaver battery also means, plane must fly faster to stay in the air.
At some point plane is too heavy & can't fly.

It's a good choice for a starter, it will be slow, about an hour to charge a battery.
Depending on how many batteries you have, you might need more than one charger.
One battery will fly 8-10 minutes, it will take an hour to recharge.
I don't like to wait for my batteries to charge, I have 8 chargers, Imax B6.

Depends on your house. I charge my batteries inside my house. I have an unfinished basement with nothing flammable near my batteries. I have build a fame resistant box for charging and storage. Each battery is isolated form the next.
Lipo's will catch fire, they will burn for 3-5 minutes or so. It's all about what else is nearby.
You don't want all of you batteries in one large box or bag. If one goes, they all go.

Maybe, depends on the kid.

The Aura will fit, it will NOT keep you from flying into a tree
If you hit something, the EPP fuse will bounce & the prop is in the rear.

No, but having someone to show you the ropes is worth the price of a membership.
There is lots of stuff to go wrong and you don't know what you don't know. Sometime a little experience can be invaluable .

Prefect

5 miles.

Here is a good place to start for more information
https://www.flitetest.com/get-started/airplanes

Also you might think about asking questions one at a time. Lots of questions equals a very long, hart to follow response.
I’m tracking with you and great answers!
So… are you suggest that the mini trainer isn’t the best place to start? I personally always liked the Gee Bee and the Old Fogey is pretty close… but this is also not my birthday present, the plane is for the 6 year old… really! The other consideration is price. The mini trainer is in the budget…

On the transmitter subject,it seems like the boxer is almost the TX16S mk ii minus some weight and a smaller screen… and then there’s the ELRS option.

Aside from being the new up and coming thing (beware of low serial numbers!) and having incredible range capabilities… what would I be missing out on with a 4-in-1 receiver?

What are the chances it will be compatible with new equipment in five years?

At least with 4-in-1 I know I can connect to a host of receivers that are out there… and possibly for a decent price as people sell if used equipment as they transition into ELRS themselves. At least that’s what I’m thinking.

Meh, the kids can ask grandma’s for a transmitter for Christmas if they decide they need ELRS… it’d be better than more cheap plastic toys that will be in the trash within a year!

Thanks again for all of your input you guys!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...are you suggest that the mini trainer isn’t the best place to start?...
Not at all, it's a great plane. This past year they used the FT Tenet in the group build tent. They had a bunch of kids build and fly the plane. I was very impressed with the abuse this plane could take. Foamboard can take a lot of abuse, but EPP it much better.

...the plane is for the 6 year old…The mini trainer is in the budget…
It's a great plane, the 6 yr old will love it.

… what would I be missing out on with a 4-in-1 receiver?...
Nothing, I use a 4 in one. It has all of the range you need for line of sight flying. I have even done short range FVP flying, half mile or so. ELRS is for longer range FPV.

...What are the chances it will be compatible with new equipment in five years?...
Hard to say. I've had mine 5-7 years, still works great. There are a hand full of new Rx's that I can't use, still have plenty of economical choices, new ones, less than $20 each.

Foamforce

Just buy a FlySky FS-i6x (the X is important) off Amazon for $50, which includes a receiver. Super cheap, does the job. Get a second one and a cheap training cable for $10. For a total of $110 you’ve got two transmitters that buddy box together for training your son and you have two receivers so you can build a second plane. If you’re just getting started, you’ve got enough to learn, so you don’t need the extra functionality of a better radio yet. And then when you do want to upgrade, you can still use the old radios for training.

Just buy a FlySky FS-i6x (the X is important) off Amazon for $50, which includes a receiver. Super cheap, does the job. Get a second one and a cheap training cable for $10. For a total of $110 you’ve got two transmitters that buddy box together for training your son and you have two receivers so you can build a second plane. If you’re just getting started, you’ve got enough to learn, so you don’t need the extra functionality of a better radio yet. And then when you do want to upgrade, you can still use the old radios for training.
Can you point me to another source? For personal reasons, I try very hard to avoid Amazon, Walmart and a few other big brands… and most of what I was finding shows these out of stock.

I’m also more of the cry once mindset… I’m more inclined to get what I would later want to upgrade to now, as it’s cheaper in the long run. That said, you make a good point about it being good enough!

This is not my first try at this. As I started with, I was making very good progress years ago, I gave away my half built Skyhawks trainer (doh! That’s going to hurt) when I moved (I had given up on flying back then) and grandpa is up to speed on the flying part… just not the new technology and electronics (he flew on gas power).

I’ll also add… I have 6 kids. We’re going to be buying more transmitters no matter what I get today. I’m just not sure if that’s justification for the cheaper or more expensive one right now…

Last edited:

danskis

Master member
The Radiomaster is a fine TX but unless you pick up programming easily I"d stay away from it. To learn how to program that radio on top of learning to fly plus learning to build plus teaching kids is a pretty daunting task. I'd go with the Flysky (I had one and they are great). I never used it with a buddy system or with a simulator so, like many other things in this hobby, you're on your own with that. I noticed that GetFPV has it and they are a good company. You may be able to actually call them.

Flysky Fs-i6x Radio Transmitter with FS-iA6B Receiver – Hobbymate Hobby

FlySky FS-i6 AFHDS 6CH Transmitter and 6CH FS-iA6B Receiver (getfpv.com)

What does the x do for me? Over on hobby mate, they don’t list it as having a trainer port… while the regular one does.

unfortunately they also don’t seem to have the buddy cable… and one link talked about making your own…

Foamforce

What does the x do for me? Over on hobby mate, they don’t list it as having a trainer port… while the regular one does.

unfortunately they also don’t seem to have the buddy cable… and one link talked about making your own…

I just Googled it and found a place called HobbyMate.com that has it for $50 with free shipping. I’ve never tried them before, has anyone else? Otherwise, eBay has them new starting at $55. If you buy, make sure it comes with the ia6b receiver. Sometimes it comes with the ia6 receiver which doesn’t support ppm, so you won’t be able to use it with a gyro. Also, sometimes it comes with the update cable for an extra few bucks which is nice.

The reason for the I6X is that the I6 handles the training cable poorly. Normally with a training cable, the trainer radio only passes through channels 1-4 and then the additional switches, mixes, settings, and trim come from the Trainer radio. On the I6, for some reason it passes everything through, so you have to completely duplicate your setup on the Trainer radio. Also, the X supports 10 channels out of the box, and you can upgrade to OpenTX, although I don’t need either of those things (yet).