P-2V Neptune Slurry Bomber

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Looks great! If you have the power aetups, try a C, then back off with a B.
You reasoning on power pack sizing seems sound to me.

Tjhochha

Thanks for the replies.
The P3 doesn't look like it would be too difficult to design, it looks like it would be a fun design. My childhood neighbor was a P3 pilot, now she's been moved to an aircraft carrier.

Tjhochha

Btw once you have this in the air move on to a p3 c update as several of us here were crew in some form or other.

Go Aircrew!!

Hey PsyBorg,
As it's now winter in Montana and dark at 5:30, I probably won't get much flying in for a few months. If you are interested in a P3 C design/build, what shape would you like the fuselage? I'm not super happy with the way the round fuse turned out, I haven't built the octagon shaped fuse yet. I could also try the curved square shape typical of the FT models. I haven't designed an actual 3D model in 15 years, so far what I've done is just 2D models in autocad and I think that is some of the reason for my unsatisfactory build. The rounded fuse looks alright but it's nowhere near as clean and simple as the FT designs. The P2 is also my first larger scale build so I have no idea if my wing spar design is adequate or not.

Let me know what you think.
Teich

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
There are a ton of FT style square fold fuses. I think if you worked out an easy way to make round fuses people would migrate to them.

Specially experienced builders wanting to up their game.

As for me... I still need to get and kerp one in the air before I build another.

Doesnt help that 34 of the last 38 days hss had rain at some point of the day and today we have snow mixed in....

Tjhochha

well, I ordered a Twin C power pack and some servo extension leads today. I hope it’s enough power. We’ll see when it gets here, they are on backorder.

Tjhochha

Would be cool to get an rc P-3 that could stay on station in scale with the real ones hehe.

A 1/10th scale would fly for an hour n twenty four minutes or so.
I have been thinking about what scale would be best for the P-3, I came across this picture of a 1:10 scale today, I think it may be a bit excessive. I'm leaning toward 1:16 scale, that would make 10" props scale. The wingspan will still be 6' 3" and 7'7" long.

In other news, I've only checked my order 3 times today, it's still not shipped. I've only waited a month to place my order for the motors and servos.
cache_9098463.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
:eek: WOW!!!!!

So :cool: to see a P-3 shaped hang glider. :devilish:. That M.A.D. boom looks nearly large enough to be functional with the right electronics.

Awesome project mate. That will surely draw a crowd on the ground or in the air as I am sure there are not many that size anywhere.

Last edited:

Tjhochha

:eek: WOW!!!!!

So :cool: to see a P-3 shaped hang glider. :devilish:. That M.A.D. boom looks nearly large enough to be functional with the right electronics.

Awesome project mate. That will surely draw a crowd on the ground or in the air as I am sure there are not many that size anywhere.
it's a cool build but not mine, I was searching for some plans to reference for a DTFB design. http://www.bylouddesign.com/products/p-3-orion/ LoudDesign built this one.

Tjhochha

I finally did a glide test on my P2V. It looks like I was a little nose heavy, and I didn't have the elevator fixed in any way. It did have a decent glide but nozed in fairly hard. I will have to find the calcs I did for my CG to get that narrowed down, I was just going by feel.
I also gave my wing attachment some flex testing to see if it will hold up. I designed the wing as a 2 piece that comes apart in the middle. After I had the wing built, I saw it was better to do a 3 piece wing with the separation outside of the motors. The wing currently seems sufficiently strong with minimal flex but we'll see after an official flight.
Pulling in the servo/esc wires is going to be a pain since the wings are finished. My order is finally supposed to ship by the end of the week. They just got their shipment of C-pack motors just came in last week.

Tjhochha

Any tips on the servo's for the rear control surfaces? I've been debating between setting the servo's at the back of the plane near the stabs and setting the servo's inside the fuse just behind the wing and using control rods. My concern is how the CG is going to work out. I'm tail heavy without any electronics.

I currently plan on using two 1300 3S batteries, one in each nacelle for the motors, but they will work out to be only slightly forward of my CG point and probably won't help much with correcting the CG. I can weigh the servos and extensions once I get them, I have a feeling the control rods would be lighter and less upsetting to the CG. If I punch the rods through the fuse, there are plenty of bulkheads to punch through that will support the rods and prevent buckling.

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Any tips on the servo's for the rear control surfaces? I've been debating between setting the servo's at the back of the plane near the stabs and setting the servo's inside the fuse just behind the wing and using control rods. My concern is how the CG is going to work out. I'm tail heavy without any electronics.

I currently plan on using two 1300 3S batteries, one in each nacelle for the motors, but they will work out to be only slightly forward of my CG point and probably won't help much with correcting the CG. I can weigh the servos and extensions once I get them, I have a feeling the control rods would be lighter and less upsetting to the CG. If I punch the rods through the fuse, there are plenty of bulkheads to punch through that will support the rods and prevent buckling.
Most planes are tail heavy until you install your motors and ESC's.

To see where you mount your servos I'd tape all your electronics on the outside of the fuse and move them around to see where they need to go, to get proper CG.

Tjhochha

So... my new motor shipment seems to have taken a wrong turn along the way.
1545082405424.png

I live near Missoula, Montana. Nowhere near Puerto Rico. I really hope it's just bad USPS tracking.

Seahunter

I may be getting super ambitious here, but I would really like to build a foamie P-2V Neptune plane. They were a staple in the sky through last year because Neptune Aviation is based out of Missoula, where I live. The real plane is the slowest flying plane I've ever seen, when they were out doing test flights, they just crawled along.
I did find some old balsa control line plans for the plane, I am going to see what I can do to use those as a reference to design a foam version. I'm having a tough time deciding on scale though. The wingspan is 100', I would like to do 12th scale but that is a massive plane. I think I will end up going about the size of the Guinea pig.
View attachment 116395

Alright Guys, I attached V1.0 of my P-2V Plans here. I haven't finished the build so no guarantees.
Supercool, Love that aircraft. I hopped a flight on one ( P-3 ) from Midway Island in the Pacific to San Francisco back in 1968. Crew even let me sit in the cockpit for awhile. They were searching the pacific with the sonar all the way. War stories:p:). Great work, will be following you on this one. Need to add it to my build list. Thanks Fred