P-38 boom alignment marking missing

ejwolski

Hey all - am I just not looking hard enough? I have the kit version of the P-38, and I do not see the leading edge alignment mark for getting the booms on straight. I can see the trailing edge mark just fine. I just checked the plans on the FT site, and neither the full sized nor the tiled plans show the leading edge mark (but they do show the trailing edge mark. Does anyone have the measurement John mentions? Thanks in advance!

ejwolski

I checked that thread but there was no answer to the question. Clearly, the trailing edge mark is on the plans and notched on the speed build kit, but the leasing edge mark is missing on both.

mach1 rc

Master member
Go to this pic on the thread and then below it look at the answer @The Hangar said.
267662_132010cb9b029b922db60d2fc167e78c.png

ejwolski

Do you mean this reply?

"I don’t have the sbk but I just marked those marks half way in between on my foam board."

Halfway in between what? I appreciate the help, but this isn't a clear answer to me.

At least I have the one reference mark - with that and using the horizontal stabilizer for correct spacing, I should be able to get the booms aligned mostly right. Thanks!

mach1 rc

Master member
Do you mean this reply?

"I don’t have the sbk but I just marked those marks half way in between on my foam board."

Halfway in between what? I appreciate the help, but this isn't a clear answer to me.

At least I have the one reference mark - with that and using the horizontal stabilizer for correct spacing, I should be able to get the booms aligned mostly right. Thanks!
Ok sorry I haven't started mine yet but I was figuring @The Hangar would know

ejwolski

No worries - I also posted on the build video so maybe someone in the know will chime in. Frankly, I'm surprised this hasn't been caught and corrected already. Good luck with your build!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
So this has been only issue I have come across so far. I only marked the one given on the plans, and I’ll see how it comes along when I build the plane over break. @SP0NZ checked the original laser files sent to him by flitetest and he has included all the marks given. The other person to tag is @Splinter189 . I think between them they can help you figure it out as I have only cut it out, not built it.

ejwolski

I have to admit I was really intimidated by the kit when it arrived and left it to sit while I gathered my courage to start. All of this progress has been in the last week - once you get into the rhythm, it's hard to stop. John's build video is amazingly helpful - my advice is to echo his - take your time and it will go well. Big plug here for the monster glue gun, sharp knives, and that wide blue tape!

Remember, no matter how flat it looks, it's just foam - it will bend to your will given you keep working it slowly.

Would love to see other builds too, please!

Cheers!

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
If someone with a P-38 SBK would measure, and post the measurements of the LE / TE alignment marks, PRIOR to assembly, it would be a big help!
For now, I have added several evenly spaced marks, 4 mm apart, on the LE of both upper wings. It should allow for accurate alignment of the tail booms. BUT, adding the correct placement of the marks to the plans would be great.

AIRFORGE

Make It Fly!
I checked that thread but there was no answer to the question. Clearly, the trailing edge mark is on the plans and notched on the speed build kit, but the leasing edge mark is missing on both.

On your SBK, there are no LE marks? Crap.
Well, I'll stick to aligning the booms with the marks I posted about earlier. I have a feeling each build will align a bit different, anyway.

ejwolski

No worries, between the one alignment mark, using the horizontal stab for boom end spacing, and my calibrated eyeballs :), I should be able to get the boom geometry close enough. Thanks, all!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
@ejwolski That is looking so awesome! I worked on cutting mine out a little more and seeing your picture is making me even more excited! What motors are you using for it, and is there any landing gear included? Bixler mentioned something in a video about landing gear, but I haven't seen anything else about it. @Splinter189 do you know anything about the landing gear?

ejwolski

I'm using the radial motors from the recommended flight pack. No landing gear included, and I have not seen the video they mentioned on installing it. I'm really happy with it and hope to finish it over the weekend. Cheers!