P-38 Build

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
I just finished my P-38...super awesome build, though it's not my best work...lost of crinkles...but I'm sure it will fly great! Maiden on Saturday...I'll post the video!

Attachments

• GOPR4231.JPG
    GOPR4231.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4232.JPG
    GOPR4232.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4233.JPG
    GOPR4233.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4234.JPG
    GOPR4234.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4235.JPG
    GOPR4235.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4237.JPG
    GOPR4237.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4238.JPG
    GOPR4238.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4239.JPG
    GOPR4239.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4240.JPG
    GOPR4240.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4241.JPG
    GOPR4241.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4242.JPG
    GOPR4242.JPG
  • GOPR4243.JPG
    GOPR4243.JPG
  • GOPR4244.JPG
    GOPR4244.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4245.JPG
    GOPR4245.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4246.JPG
    GOPR4246.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4247.JPG
    GOPR4247.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • GOPR4248.JPG
    GOPR4248.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
It looks great! My P-38 is half way done, but I had to stop and wait for electronics to arrive. They are here now but as several other projects have sprung up in the mean time, I won’t be getting to it for probably a month. I’ve really been enjoying the build so far though! :)

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
It looks great! My P-38 is half way done, but I had to stop and wait for electronics to arrive. They are here now but as several other projects have sprung up in the mean time, I won’t be getting to it for probably a month. I’ve really been enjoying the build so far though! :)
Main thing is take your time on the booms...they crinkle easily, but other than the small parts to glue together, it was an awesome build...9 hours total over two days...and now I can't wait to fly it!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Main thing is take your time on the booms...they crinkle easily, but other than the small parts to glue together, it was an awesome build...9 hours total over two days...and now I can't wait to fly it!
I got the booms done and yes, the biggest thing I walked away with is be patient and don’t rush any step! Will you get video of the maiden?

K3V0

Elite member
Duuuuude! That is sweet! Nice build. The lightning is on the list so I’ll watching for how it goes! Welcome to the forums btw! Are you getting any snow rn?

herbertjalarcon

Elite member
No, I'm in the Inland Empire of So Cal...can see the snow on the mountains (surrounded by them) but we rarely get snow...here is a pic from last week...

Attachments

• GOPR4192.JPG
    GOPR4192.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0

seerekim

Liked the video! I'm finishing up my P-38, (crinkles and all) I was thinking of landing gear - how did you brace it in the booms? Do you have a steerable nose gear?

Attachments

• p-38 build.jpg
    p-38 build.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 0

seerekim

Rustoleum Chrome spray paint overall, the black is vinyl sticker material and I'm going to brush on red paint on the wing tips and tail tops to match the spinners. I need to find the star decals also to finish it off.

SORRENTO

A question for you guys that have built or are building the P38. As posted elsewhere, I am currently building this model from downloaded plans and have reached the stage of putting the booms onto the wing. When I position them at the measurements given in the build video
( 5.5 inches out at the leading edge and 7.5 inches out at the trailing edge) the ends of the booms are not in alignment with the location slots in the horizontal stabilizer - they are over an inch too close together. I realise that some inaccuracies creep in when making and using templates to cut out the foam, but everything so far has gone together perfectly. Luckily, I have not glued the booms in place, so not a big deal to slide them further out on the wing, but it really puzzles me why it is so far out. Has anyone else had this issue? The positioning marks, which presumably are on the laser cut parts in the kit, did not print out clearly on the plan which is why I used the measurements given in the build video. Perhaps someone who has built the model from a kit could confirm that the measurements I am using are completely accurate and not a 'guesstimate' Thanks in advance for any info.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
A question for you guys that have built or are building the P38. As posted elsewhere, I am currently building this model from downloaded plans and have reached the stage of putting the booms onto the wing. When I position them at the measurements given in the build video
( 5.5 inches out at the leading edge and 7.5 inches out at the trailing edge) the ends of the booms are not in alignment with the location slots in the horizontal stabilizer - they are over an inch too close together. I realise that some inaccuracies creep in when making and using templates to cut out the foam, but everything so far has gone together perfectly. Luckily, I have not glued the booms in place, so not a big deal to slide them further out on the wing, but it really puzzles me why it is so far out. Has anyone else had this issue? The positioning marks, which presumably are on the laser cut parts in the kit, did not print out clearly on the plan which is why I used the measurements given in the build video. Perhaps someone who has built the model from a kit could confirm that the measurements I am using are completely accurate and not a 'guesstimate' Thanks in advance for any info.
I had that issue as well - what @mach1 rc did was he lined up the front of the boom and then adjusted the rear.